Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Supergirl Sky Flyer Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I eat bugs.

Re: Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Postby deathbydinn » Wed May 23, 2012 6:08 pm

^ And we don't even know if it's back. Remember, with the original ride rotation program, new rides were bought with the intentions of moving them around every two or three years. I don't think that's what we're seeing now. I think we're simply seeing the new management realizing that certain rides would just perform better at other parks.

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed May 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I was at SFNE's Goliath Media Day this morning. I'm having tecnical glitches with my laptop but will have a Photo TR posted as soon as I can. I wish I had known of those comments by John Winkler ahead of time so i could have asked him for clarification.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby larrygator » Thu May 24, 2012 7:35 am

Yesterday I was at the park for Goliath Media Day.

Although the coaster may only be a relocation for enthusiasts, it's a big deal for the general public as the tallest looping coaster in the area. SFNE had a very well coordinated Media Day, with the press riding a few times along with contest winners. I missed the quick presentation by John Winkler as I was locked on the train awaiting the first "official" ride.

The park pulled out all the stops with excellent food and also free Sno-Cones, Dippin Dots and Kettle Corn.

For those that haven't ridden any Giant Inverted Boomerangs, they are fun. Much smoother than traditional boomerangs but the backwards loop in not as intense.
IMG_20120523_100338-001.jpg
I'm in the right place.
IMG_20120523_101148-001.jpg
Looney Tunes characters were out in force.
IMG_20120523_101116-001.jpg
It certainly is big but looks out of place in Crackaxle Canyon.
IMG_20120523_120438-001.jpg
But the awesome food they gave us made me completely forget about the looks of Goliath.
IMG_20120523_101313-001.jpg
I think these were the first riders of the day.
IMG_20120523_101344-001.jpg
Bugs Bunny chickened out and didn't ride.
IMG_20120523_101706-001.jpg
It's only a Vekoma
IMG_20120523_105430-001.jpg
This is where you sit.
IMG_20120523_120131-001.jpg
Some guy with a magnifying glass is trying to take down Goliath.
IMG_20120523_121357-001.jpg
Oooooh, there's a train.
IMG_20120523_121403-001.jpg
Cobra Roll or whatever they call it.
IMG_20120523_104358-001.jpg
I run into DaveH2O who was covering the event for My9News out of Hartford.
IMG_20120523_105443-001.jpg
I think these are radio contest winners. They were announced as the first "official" riders. Making my ride "unofficial". Or maybe I'm a test dummy. Whatever!
IMG_20120523_120438-001.jpg
On to the food. Buffet with baked beans, beef and pork brisket and what appeared to be macroni and cheese, except the macaroni with replaced with corn.
IMG_20120523_113216-001.jpg
My first plate of food. I went back for more of the corn and cheese later, along with some Dippin Dots.
IMG_20120523_120633-001.jpg
Coke Freestyle machines, I rarely drink soda nowadays, but did have to get a Vanilla Coke. Love, Vanilla Coke. Reminds me of Malubi Rum and Coke.
IMG_20120523_121853-001.jpg
oooh aaaah. Footer enthusiasts rejoice.
IMG_20120523_122314-001.jpg
I grabbed a couple of bags of Kettle Corn to share at my softball game later in the day. But my day didn't end at SFNE. I stopped by Wild Bill Nostaglia Store and made another foodie stop. Those will be posted in the Wild Bill's thread shortly.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 am

Awesome pics! Looks like it was a good day. I love Malibu and Coke too hehe.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby redsd2121 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:22 am

I also have A Photo TR from media day. ^Were you there at 4:30 with ACE or did you show up at 10:00 with the contest winners. If you showed up at 10 you missed the awesome lights that Goliath had on in the morning.

I arrived at SFNE around 4:30, as asked, and proceeded to check in. We were brought into CAC and stood around staring at Goliath for maybe a half hour/45 minutes before the finally began testing. Once testing was completed they let us all onto ride for the next 4 and a half hours. It was awesome. The queue was always empty, and re-rides were possible 100% of the time. I took a lot of this time to take the pictures for this TPR, as well as just look around. All in all, SFNE put on a fantastic event, I was so pleased and it exceeded my expectations for my first media day. Everything (except for merch) was free which made my day so easy because everything was right there when I needed it. I'm gonna quit the rambling and move onto the pictures, enjoy!

Arriving this early gave everyone there a peak at Goliath's lighting package, which looks amazing in person!

Goliath began testing around 5 I think. Maybe a little later?

Then the sun came up, but it was cloudy. So the next few pictures aren't that spectacular

Finally the sun came out, and Goliath looked beautiful!

Riding Goliath with absolutely no body there was awesome. I'm so happy I got all my riding in today so I won't have to wait in those horrific lines this summer

This was one of two places where we were able to get our lunch (this photo was taken around 7:30. We didn't have lunch until 11:30.) The other place was at Riverboat Cafe

I think this one looks really cool, even though it really isn't that special. It's just balloons. :lol:

Shipwreck Fall's old station looks awesome as Goliath's queue house. I'm so happy they kept it.

This, as well as the next, are probably my two favorite from the whole report. As well as the very first night picture in this report.

Artsy

Artsy

Artsy. These three were so hard for me to take.

Around 10 the contest winners showed up and media day kicked into high gear. Actors, magicians, free stuff, music... It was just a great atmosphere!

The stage where the ceremony happened as well as where the DJ was during the day. He played really awesome music!

I have definitely never seen those two costumes in the park before. (Not the cowboys)

Yup!

I really love this. SFNE did a fantastic job on Goliath's landscaping!

Perfect

So is Shipwreck's old entrance a new viewing area? Because it wasn't fenced off but there wasn't anything there...

But what the hell, it provides great views!

Flashback looks so pathetic right next to Goliath. It's just so small and sad.

Balloon race was running briefly!

Goliath absolutely dominates SFNE's skyline.

I thought this was a cute touch

To conclude, I just want to praise SFNE for doing a fantastic job with today. Everything was perfect! Goliath never broke down, the free stuff was a nice perk, and the weather couldn't have been any better.
Last edited by redsd2121 on Thu May 24, 2012 1:20 pm.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby jmicha » Thu May 24, 2012 12:38 pm

That looks great! One question though (sorry, haven't really been following this coaster) but wasn't this supposed to get new trains from Premier? Or did that fall through/get pushed back? Thanks for the info. Looks great in its new home.

Postby larrygator » Thu May 24, 2012 12:40 pm

jmicha wrote:That looks great! One question though (sorry, haven't really been following this coaster) but wasn't this supposed to get new trains from Premier? Or did that fall through/get pushed back? Thanks for the info. Looks great in its new home.

The new trains are not ready yet.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm

They're going to arrive later in the season. Premier had other priorities such as Superman. Right now they're just going to use the Vekoma trains.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby redsd2121 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Here's a picture that for some reason didn't make it into the original post. I did sneak it in, but I wanted to post it here so anyone who has already seen the Photo TR could also enjoy this picture. Also here is a link to all of the pictures.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 24, 2012 1:47 pm

redsd2121 wrote:Were you there at 4:30 with ACE

We were there with Theme Park Review.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!