TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

Accident Article Link

Authorities say a mechanic has been injured while fixing a ride at SeaWorld San Diego.

The park tells U-T San Diego (http://bit.ly/KulqOs) that the man was working on the flight simulator for the Wild Arctic ride Tuesday morning when he was hurt. A fire department spokesman says the 20-year-old man was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries.

KFMB-TV ( http://bit.ly/Juhrn5) says a leaking hydraulic plug dislodged and struck the man in the cheek and lip.

Sounds a bit odd... based on another new report I heard the man was investigating some kind of problem when the hydraulic plug blew off...if they were investigating something like that...shouldn't they have put the ride in a full on shutdown.

^Well the article clearly says the plug was "leaking" so it was faulty. To be fair, no one except the park mechanics know the layout of the Hydraulic system on this simulator so it's a possibility the plug came off from above the mechanic. I'm just throwing that out there. Glad he wasn't seriously injured as hydraulic systems can be extremely dangerous.

Manta Madness Countdown

Only 10 days until Manta’s Grand Opening! Check out the testing of the one-on-a-link projection system inside Manta’s multi-media launch station. Imagine this massive 270-degree enveloping screen filled with projections of larger than life manta rays swimming all around you!!! Woohoo!

Source: SWSD Facebook

577306_10150879854766855_70105691854_9602773_249601943_n.jpg.e46a4eb76d950580e48fa734c87cf210.jpg

Is anyone else getting ready for this weekend?! Seriously can't wait for this amazing looking coaster to open!

Does anyone know if they still need to add anything, like the que, or any landscaping?

not sure, haven't been in a couple weeks. When i was there last it still looked like there was a ton to do. I'm going on Thursday for the member preview, and I heard media day is Wednesday. I plan to take a bunch of pictures, and yes very excited, SD has been in dire need of some kind of coaster attraction for years. Hopefully, Manta can deliver at least a fun experience overall, that's all i'm hoping for!!!!

Awesome news! SeaWorld just told me that they want me on one of the opening trains on Saturday, so I will be attending opening day. Very cool to be able to inaugurate my home-parks newest roller coaster (and probably San Diegos best)! I'll make sure to take lots of pictures!

Awesome news! SeaWorld just told me that they want me on one of the opening trains on Saturday, so I will be attending opening day. Very cool to be able to inaugurate my home-parks newest roller coaster (and probably San Diegos best)! I'll make sure to take lots of pictures!

Lucky! I would kill to be able to get an opportunity like that!

^The heart of the park was gutted and remade. They moved a lot of dirt, built new structures, renovated others and built a coaster. Compared to Little Mermaid's alleged $100 million price tag (really? I don't know - don't take it as gospel), it's a bargain.