Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 1996 - Jersey Devil Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: gardyloo! and 17 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby golfburner1 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:13 am

RideofSteel wrote:If you've never been on a stand up, Green Lanterns a lot of fun. The back rows can be extremely rough, but the middle is OK. The fronts offers a very cool view. Try to ride right after opening or in the late afternoon to avoid the long lines.

Edit: Depending on your height you may have a lot of head banging. The inclined loops the worst spot.

I've been on Mantis at Cedar Point. It wasn't rough but it was very slow! I didn't get any head banging but got a lot of spots on that ride where I fell onto the shoulder harness because it was so slow! I know green lantern does not have the brake on the drop of the ride. Hopefully that makes it go a lot faster!
Ride Count 2013: Kingda Ka: 12, El toro: 20, Superman Ultimate Flight: 4, Green Lantern: 7, Bizzaro: 27
Skull Mountain: 44 (Perma Seats), Nitro: 105, Dark Knight Coaster: 14, Sky Screamer: 7, Runaway Mine Train: 5, Rolling Thunder: 4, and Batman:The Ride: 18
Great adventure here I come!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed May 16, 2012 7:05 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:^Yes! People on here are going to tell you that it's rough, but I've never experienced headbanging or even the B&M rattle on it.

The way some people exaggerate how rough a coaster is, they would probably be able to make a 747 sound like a hot air balloon. B&M rattle is especially rich. For years I thought that meant what happens if your diet consists of nickels dimes and quarters.
Been you to have any spike, man?

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am

^Oh, the B&M rattle exists. Ride Dominator at Kings Dominion in the back row and try to say it doesn't! :lol: But yeah, enthusiasts are quite the hyperbole-creators.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 am

I was fine with it as Batman: Knight Flight and Dominator while it was in Ohio. I think it's the best sitdown looper B&M has after Kumba (and presumably Dragon Khan, though I haven't ridden). Whatever this mysterious rattle is, it's doing a good job of not being there during my rides. I've seen it mentioned for some of their non-inverting lapbar only hypercoasters. I hope those people live in a bubble.
Been you to have any spike, man?

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby megametal » Wed May 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I've never noticed Dominator rattle, and I ride it frequently. Green Lantern was forceful, but not rough to me... The only rough, rattly B&M I've been on is Vortex at Carowinds.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I am going to go out on a limb here and state I did not like The Green Lantern at all. It was not fun to me. Glad I did not wait more than 30 minutes for it.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby golfburner1 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 pm

alilstronger wrote:I am going to go out on a limb here and state I did not like The Green Lantern at all. It was not fun to me. Glad I did not wait more than 30 minutes for it.

Pshhh I'll probably feel the same way when I ride it.
Ride Count 2013: Kingda Ka: 12, El toro: 20, Superman Ultimate Flight: 4, Green Lantern: 7, Bizzaro: 27
Skull Mountain: 44 (Perma Seats), Nitro: 105, Dark Knight Coaster: 14, Sky Screamer: 7, Runaway Mine Train: 5, Rolling Thunder: 4, and Batman:The Ride: 18
Great adventure here I come!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Ed Farmer wrote:I was fine with it as Batman: Knight Flight and Dominator while it was in Ohio. I think it's the best sitdown looper B&M has after Kumba (and presumably Dragon Khan, though I haven't ridden). Whatever this mysterious rattle is, it's doing a good job of not being there during my rides. I've seen it mentioned for some of their non-inverting lapbar only hypercoasters. I hope those people live in a bubble.

I don't want to take this too far off-topic, just want to reply! Dominator's is most noticeable in the corkscrews, though it was running much better last season. I do, however, agree with you - I think that's it's one of their best and easily their most unique looper designs, and I love it! Diamondback, on the other hand, actually was ruined for me by the rattle...maybe it's particular trains that are worse than others or something, but some of these B&Ms new and old are picking it up! It's not a roughness thing, just a vibration. Intamins do it too pretty often - Fahrenheit is a big offender.

On-topic...Green Lantern has no rattle!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Today was Media Preview Day for Sky Screamer. The ride was open exclusively for the media before being turned over to the Season Pass holders.

I took two rides including one with a Reverse POV camera. Enjoy the photos.

I'm working on embedding the video so bear with me, if you watch it the video, the ride doesn't start until the 3:15 mark. Otherwise you just see me playing with the seat belt. Yes, a seat belt on a Star Flyer.
IMG_20120517_100040.JPG
Looks like I'm in the right place.
PICT0165.JPG
I felt inadequate with my photography equipment standing next to this guy.
PICT0154.JPG
Breakfast included banana and peanut butter sandwiches. Why, you may ask?
PICT0170.JPG
After Park President Mark Fitzgerald spoke about the "new" Adventure Alley area, The Rutgers University a cappela group sang "Hound Dog" to start the festivities.
PICT0172.JPG
Communications Director Kristin Siebeneicher rattled off the rides stats and introduced the first riders of the day, Elvis impersonators. That explains the peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
PICT0175.JPG
Elvis' preparing for lift off.
IMG_20120517_101424.JPG
Rigging for the Reverse POV camera.
PICT0177.JPG
My GoPro camera being installed.
IMG_20120517_110151.JPG
Everyone I talked to thought Sky Screamer with a great addition.
PICT0162.JPG
Here are the GP waiting for the park opening rope drop. Many rushed to Sky Screamer not realizing it would not open to season pass holders for a few more hours.
PICT0181.JPG
After this "hack" interviewed Kristen I talked to her about the origin of Adventure Alley and the incoming rides. Much of this was the results of the guest surveys where families strongly suggested rides the family could ride together (like a traditional amusement park). In looking at this as a return to Great Adventure's beginings (only one coaster and dozens of family rides) management decided to bring back some of the early park logos on their soon to open Scrambler (Deja Vu).
IMG_20120517_114124.JPG
You can see the old rainbow logo on the front of the cars and the balloon image on the right side.
PICT0179.JPG
Air Jumbo is almost ready to fly also.
IMG_20120517_124520.JPG
I took a few photos from the Sky Ride.
IMG_20120517_124546.JPG
Unfortunately only the lake side was running so cables and towers got in the way of many shots.
IMG_20120517_124605.JPG
The trees get in the way also, but it's nice to have trees since we need shade and oxygen.
PICT0152.JPG
Dork Shot
PICT0195.JPG
New Looney Tunes topiaries in Adventure Alley
PICT0191.JPG
Future home of Fender Benders. Kristen said the completely new bumpers cars are ready to ship from Italy and it will be a quick build. To open in June.
PICT0192.JPG
Lastly, it was great to see Roger (Security Guard / Host) back enteraining guests with magic tricks. I had not seen him in me two early season visits to the park.
PICT0196.JPG
I'm working on getting the POV posted so bear with me.
Last edited by larrygator on Fri May 18, 2012 7:36 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 pm

So I see they went with 'Elvis in his Final Days' theming judging from the looks of most of them! :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!