TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

But why would you, as a company, spend some $10-15 million on re-doing a ride that has one of the worst reputations of any ride in existence? On top of those millions you're looking at another chunk of change to re-brand and re-advertize the ride, and even then you aren't guaranteed that anything's gonna change. It's the ride that killed some lady to plenty of people, and that isn't something you can just overcome. Cedar Fair has probably determined that by now, and so I would be more surprised to see it reopen than to see it demolished.

Seriously, as someone that rode it, there was no speed, airtime, or any other positive factor about this ride. The loop was the only smooth part, and that's long gone. This ride was a mistake from day one. Just look at the history of lawsuits this ride has generated. Nothing could make this ride better, and the park has dumped insane amounts of money into this woodpile over the years to try and get it to work without success.

It's far better for the park/CF to just say "enough" and get rid of it and use the land for something that will improve the park, whether it's a new coaster or other attractions. I really hope this "rumor" is true.

And there's really only one company they should call if they end up wanting a new wooden coaster: Intamin. You would think the popularity of these rides would result in more being built...

dt

I agree with most others about SoB...tear it down and try again. No airtime, no good speed, no fun, just nothing but pure, evil pain.

I had something jostle in my innards that I don't think was supposed to jostle when I rode it. There was definitely something not right with that coaster and it's design from day one. Me, my Dad and partner all agreed that it was the worst coaster we had ever ridden...and we've been on a lot of coasters.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to even experience the loop, but the coaster from start to finish was pure garbage and that even included the first drop.I supposed I could put this in the 'near death experience' topic?

Sure looks pretty from afar, but I don't even think a Rocky Mountain High treatment could pump some good blood back into this completely crappy coaster.

If there is any coaster that should have been a prefab from the minute planning started, it's SOB. Although it is possible that, at the time it was being considered, the concept of a Prefab had not been introduced.

In fact, I could see a prefab going up in SOB's spot, as the ride takes up an insame amount of space, and a giant woodie could easily be built. A prefab costs about the same amount of cash to build, but costs less to maintain and has higher capacity than a standard wood coaster. (Most GCI's pull less than 900 pph, while El Toro, with just two trains, can pull up to 1500 pph)

Then again, they could use the NTAG treatment. Either way, I am sure no one will be dissapointed, and there is no way whatever they are putting there can be worse than SOB.

If there is any coaster that should have been a prefab from the minute planning started, it's SOB.

One problem: Intamin prefabricated woodies weren't invented yet.

I hope the rumor about SoB being removed is true. You don't have to be a structural engineer to know that any further investment would be throwing good money after bad.

I would almost bet on them replacing SoB with something steel. Wasn't the GP over in California convinced when Terminator opened that it was just Psyclone? Wouldn't want KI to build a new woodie only for people to think it's still SoB, so they might have to go with someone as different from it as possible.

I've had good rides (seat 6-2 in the old Premier trains actually made the ride bearable since you weren't sitting on a wheel seat and the vocalizations of those riding behind you were priceless).

The ride should have been ripped out in phases as soon as the ride was closed for good after the last incident. No amount of work, not even Rocky Mountain track, will save that ride. Would be a nice location for a full-circuit invert that uses the topography.

I've wanted it to return as a Rocky Mountain, but that would cost a lot of money. But, it would've been a better investment, in my opinion, than spending $10 million on just converting the water park into a corporate water park and adding no new slides.

Besides the structural problems & mishaps that have occurred with it the ride is just plain boring,seems paramount wasn't known for adding quality woodies to their parks as the hurler twins are just as bad from a layout perspective & perhaps would've been better off adding something of the steel variety on that spot to begin with instead.

If hurler's layout is as bad as it is I can't begin to suspect that thunder run (the ride it was based on)was any good.

^See, this is what I don't understand: the Hurlers have always been reviled...while Thunder Run was praised (especially when it wasn't terribly rough). Speaking from experience, Thunder Run was a ton of fun and offered multiple moments of GREAT airtime. I just can't imagine how the Hurler twins could be that much different.

^From what I can tell from a video of Thunder Run (I've only been on Hurler at Kings Dominion), it's better-banked during each of the turnarounds. That's a huge plus. I actually like its layout even less, though, but regardless. It also could've just been better-maintained, and it looks like trims weren't added to it - those are what did the great airtime in on Hurler, so now it's just rough and boring instead of rough and halfway decent.

Though, I will admit, I do ride Hurler every time I go to Kings Dominion, and I don't think it's that bad. Roughness doesn't get me on wooden coasters, I think I could've handled SoB in that aspect too. It's the boring that does these rides in for me!

^^The difference was really subtle. I got to ride Carowinds' Hurler last year, and I didn't find it all that rough, but I did find it a little boring. Hurler's layout somehow just doesn't pace as well as Thunder Run did. Also, Thunder Run was never trimmed whereas both Hurlers are trimmed on the first drop.

Let's not get off topic here, though. Nothing would make me happy quite like seeing SoB be torn down and the area be utilized for a brand new attraction. I'm sick of it just standing there wasting space.

Living right in the middle of the 2 Hurlers (3 hours away from each) I can say that both aren't as bad as what people make them out to be, but they certainly aren't great rides. I do however find Kings Dominion's slightly smoother on the straight stretches of the ride.

Back on the topic of Kings Island... around when do the local school systems get out around the Cincinnati area? I'm planning a trip there (and CP) in early-mid June and am trying to avoid the school crowds if possible.

^ Thanks for the information.

At the moment, it's looking like I'll be at KI on a Monday/Tuesday and CP on Wednesday/Thursday. I'm hoping this will help with crowds, but I do plan on getting Fast Lane at CP. I really don't see the need at KI since KD is my "home" park and I can ride all the FOF, Backlot, Windseeker, ect. I want back here in Virginia.

At this point I don't even care if they replace it, just get rid of it. It's an eyesore.

An eyesore? I feel many would agree with me that it's one of the most magnificent looking structures at any park, anywhere, operating or not.

I always thought that an Intamin Giga launched coaster, like a taller version of Formula Rossa would be perfect for KI. Now that SOB is "gone", I can see this being constructed there.

What does this mean? Giga launched coaster? Are you talking like a shorter TTD or something? Cause Formula Rossa isn't really like that, and a ride like TTD is pretty pointless for KI.

I always thought that an Intamin Giga launched coaster, like a taller version of Formula Rossa would be perfect for KI. Now that SOB is "gone", I can see this being constructed there.

What does this mean? Giga launched coaster? Are you talking like a shorter TTD or something? Cause Formula Rossa isn't really like that, and a ride like TTD is pretty pointless for KI.

Well, having a launched coaster that has those swooping turns on Formula Rossa, having it look different from TTD. Really, there isn't much of a selection of 300'+ coasters to choose from.

At this point I don't even care if they replace it, just get rid of it. It's an eyesore.

An eyesore? I feel many would agree with me that it's one of the most magnificent looking structures at any park, anywhere, operating or not.

Maybe it was a bad choice of words on my part...

It's magnificent looking at the moment but when it's not operating, it becomes a huge black eye for the park because everyone knows it's an abandoned coaster that nobody feels like tearing down. Plus, a few more years of neglect and it will start to look as rough as it used to ride.