Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 632 - Mystic River Falls Announced for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:I believe a 81 degree drop would be the steepest ever on a wood/hybrid coaster, and a 160ft would be larger than both T-Express and Texas Giant... I think we've got a definite top-ten coaster shaping up here.

Yes, if legit (or close), those stats bode VERY well for this coaster, considering the company's past work. =)
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming, expanded Bluegrass & BBQ festival.

With top accolades showing Silver Dollar City (SDC) leading in the presentation of American bluegrass music, the Branson, Missouri theme park is launching its biggest ever Bluegrass & BBQ festival, adding more days, more bands and more barbecue to the event, May 10 – June 3. This 8th season of the festival marks a year of top awards: “Event of the Year” from the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA), plus “Bluegrass Promoter of the Year” for park entertainment manager D.A. Callaway (SPBGMA*).

“Bluegrass is a uniquely American art form that has changed and evolved with what the audiences demand, creating crossover popularity that encompasses traditionalists and newer country audiences,” said festival manager D.A. Callaway, who visits bluegrass festivals all across America to find the best of both traditional and contemporary groups. “While much of today’s bluegrass doesn’t sound the same as grandpa’s fiddle-playing, the base is still there, and Nashville is selling more bluegrass-inspired records than ever before.”

The festival celebrates the all-American music genre, presenting more than 60 bands and hundreds of performances, featuring top artists and award-winning performers in bluegrass today, including Rhonda Vincent & the Rage, the Grascals, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, and the Kruger Brothers. Plus, guests can see the top up-and-coming bands in bluegrass, such as the Gibson Brothers, Balsam Range, Little Roy & Lizzy and Jerry Butler and the Blu-J’s, and bluegrass comedy kings, The Cleverlys.

National Bluegrass Competitions

The festival highlights two national competitions featuring entrants from across the country. The 6th Annual National Single Mic Championship, May 19-20, highlights performance skills as each band gathers around a single microphone and balances their sound by moving toward or away from it, a technique revived by many of today's top bluegrass bands. The Youth In Bluegrass Band Competition, May 26-27, promotes and encourages amateur bluegrass musicians 21 years of age or younger as they compete for top honors and cash prizes.

Food, Flavor and Variety ~ The House of BBQ, a Rib Feast, Hundreds of Sauces plus New Visiting BBQ Connoisseurs

The House of BBQ serves up Silver Dollar City’s famous flavor feast from St. Louis ribs and smoked chicken to Texas brisket and sweet roasted corn on the cob -- direct from large outdoor charcoal grills and a custom-made 9-foot smoker. Another back-by-popular-demand feature is an all-you-can-eat BBQ rib feast each afternoon with fall-off-the-bone ribs in four flavors, plus SDC’s signature 18-hour smoked brisket.

New this year to the park’s food offering is the addition of visiting, award-winning BBQ connoisseurs, adding a whole new dimension of barbecue variety. Bringing a straight-out-of-the-Ozarks flair is Richard’s Hawgwild BBQ out of Aurora, Missouri. Adding even more heat to the grills is Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, based in Texas. These new taste opportunities are designed to bring even more flavor variety – which is on overload on the City’s Square, with guests welcome to taste-test hundreds of sauces from smoky chipotle and sweet hickory to Carolina vinegar and honey habanero, plus the park’s own Honey Blackberry.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Tue May 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Chittlins wrote:That's great, but I bet that decision wasn't based on Branson alone but with Springfield and NWA growing economically and in population as well. I'm willing to bet that lots of students based out of the UofA will use the airport due to more incoming freshmen coming from Texas than even Arkansas. The metroplex is sending tons of kids to Arkansas due to the UofA giving them in state tuition rates. There's over 200 million is student housing projects in the "go" stage right now in Fayetteville. The NWA area has a unemployment rate of 5.9 right now with folks still moving in totally independant of the University.

Besides, AirTran was subsidized at Branson, meaning they were paid tax money to provide service. Southwest buys out Airtran so Southwest keeps the the subsidized routes. Well, color me shocked. Wonder if Branson service is profitable enough to stand alone at this point. It doesn't seem like such a tough decision when you're getting free money. Here's how financially sound the Branson airport is:
http://sbj.net/main.asp?SectionID=18&SubSectionID=23&ArticleID=89446

Color you shocked then: Southwest did not take over AirTran for the subsidized routes. That is, to say the least, the least-thought out comment I've seen in years on the boards here. Read below as to why.

1.) College kids generally don't fly- anywhere. They either don't have the money to do so, or have too much stuff to carry.
2.) AirTran was subsidized... but then again, so were they at ATL (Atlanta/Hartsfield-Jackson Intl.) via lease reductions on gate space, reduced landing fees, etc. Most commercial airlines are in fact subsidized by airfields through the world, as an incentive to fly there. It may not be the cash payment that you see at Branson (Or at Ft. Meyers, or at Ft. Walton Beach, or Rochester, or Islip/Long Island...) but there is always an incentive to get new airline service anywhere.
3.) Those incentives are -pennies- compared to the actual costs of service into/out of an airport.
4.) AirTran was acquired due to three things: a.) Southwest wanted to strengthen their route network in the East coast markets, as well as add international route accesses to Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America; b.) AirTran featured a similar pricing system and model. c.) Southwest Airlines wanted ATL access- and a turn-key operation was the best way to do so. Route subsidies had -absolutely nothing- to do with the takeover at all. They are not even mentioned in the documentation for the Southwest-AirTran merger papers- anywhere.

A $900,000 subsidy for an airline is exactly squat in the financial side of things.It is only a revenue guarantee that the fund pays out to an airline if the plane doesn't carry the requisite number of passengers to make the route profitable. Guess what! They have not touched that fund- not once. Southwests' decision to move into Branson is, for the record, at their own accord and independent of the AirTran operations- which will eventually be blended into their own in 2013/2014.

Branson is a new airport- and like Newport News/Patrick Henry intl. has a battle for the first decade of flying. That is true of every new airfield in the USA. This is no exception here, and I would be shocked that BKG didn't lose money. However, the lending partners behind the airfield knew that going into this in the beginning, or they wouldn't have sponsored the project in the first place. It is a privately held airfield, though- and that is where there is a difference. However, having two major airlines add service in two years, plus a third coming shortly thereafter is a pretty good sign in the long run.

SDC, like most of Branson itself, has a vested interest in growing their market reach, as do all parks in the USA. SDC has a huge amount of wherewithal that has shown for the past decade, and is growing accordingly. Attracting airlines is a feat that is daunting- but it can be done.

IN the end, SDC isn't the only attraction for Branson/BKG. There are many growth opportunities being seized, and this is only the beginning of a new future for the entire region.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 pm

^What he said.

jedimaster1227 wrote:Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming, expanded Bluegrass & BBQ festival.

Not the announcement we were looking for, try harder Adam! ;)

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Chittlins » Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm

About the only significant revenue growth Branson has had in the past five years is due to Branson Landing and Branson Hills up 65 a couple of exits from Downtown. Those two places account for nearly 20% of the City of Branson's revenues now. What does Branson do with that. Pay a private airport a subsidy for every person flown in to the owners of the airport and they pay the theaters subsidies so tickets can be drastically discounted to help them keep going. Considering that the Mayor is a Presley, these payments continue to go up. The theaters are stagnant growth wise and heavily subsidized. I'm not sure how an average open air mall and a suburban sprawl shopping center consisting of a walmart, target, kohls and the usually suspects are major tourist magnets. They feed off local customers from the burbs south of Springfield and North Arkansas like Harrison and Mt. Home along with the tourists that hit it up. Last I heard ,the Landing's further development is on hold due to lawsuits over who actually owns the land. It could use some entertainment options like a theater or bowling alley for guests that would like to stay at the Hilton or linger after the shops close. I do miss the Budweiser store.

And if you don't think college kids fly, you have never seen the ones from the metroplex. Different type of beast.

Bass Pro in Springfield is a major draw, no other Bass Pro compares but the one going in the Pyramid at Memphis is going to be quite something as well.

Branson's airport reminds me of Fayetteville's Drake Field back in the day in terms of size before XNA. It's quaint. I'm sure the air show is a draw. I haven't got anything against Branson, just that the theaters aren't driving it's future growth and that how all this got started.

The whole Nelly concert mess was quite something, Heaven forbid a rapper from St. Louis perform in Branson. :lmao:

Anways, according to midwest info guide man this is the first of three major projects SDC has lined up. It's going to be an exciting decade.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Haha I heard about that Nelly concert...that is quite strange, though he sort of seems to be losing any tough guy image that he used to have with this new music he puts out...

And Good for SDC! I'm glad they're planning on some more major additions after this one!

Now I've got my hopes up for this new ride, because the more I think about it, SDC has added so many family attractions over the last 10 years...maybe they are ready to let loose and build something big. I also didn't realize that RMC helped construct many of these incredible Intamin wooden coasters, so I have less fear that this ride will be some sort of prototype rather than an "A-lister." I haven't ridden a pre-fab woodie, and if this is indeed a pre-fab then I can't wait!

I still think SDC could go for something gimmicky, like:

"OMG! Let's build a water....coaster!" - Buzzsaw Falls,
or "What if we just let the guests choose to ride forward ORRRRR backward?!" - "OMG CALL ARROW!" - ThuNderaTion

In all seriousness though - a rumored 81* drop....I'd be fine with 70 on a woodie! Can't wait to hear more!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Chittlins » Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 am

For those that don't know that story...

The then, and maybe still is, owner of the Grand Palace wanted to host a Nelly concert there but outside because the inside was still under renovation or something from the incident. The thing was almost soldout when the city nixed it with some questionable tactics. They wanted to censor it cause no one uses cuss words in Branson. The owner even had the support of the neighbors like the Andy Williams Theater.

Yeti. I got kids. They want one of the spinning coasters and a drop tower. By all accounts this new coaster seems like an out and back, hey why not a kickass twister style as well. I have feeling they are going to gut Spash Harbor and rework the area. I think with today's tech they could bring back a new diving bell attraction that would rock. As a now six straight years season pass holder for a family of 4, I don't want repetition. It's got Wildfire for inversions, Powderkeg for the quick launch, Thunderation for the mine train. A eurofighter with a beyond vertical? Or and intamin with the really tight corkscrew and ground hugging curves in that terrain. One of Gravity Group indoor/outdoor woodie could be themed to a place like SDC well.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 am

Looks like the name has been leaked. It will be called "The Outlaw": http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/silver/project2013/05.11.12/

That's definately a departure from the bull-theme some of us were expecting. I'm not really sure how they're planning to tie this into the area, but I'm sure they have some awesome ideas cooked up.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri May 11, 2012 10:01 am

^If they use that name, it might take me a while to stop thinking about Outlaw at Adventureland. But that hardly matters...it does seem to be a fitting name for SDC and their new ride.

Shavethewhales wrote:I'm not really sure how they're planning to tie this into the area, but I'm sure they have some awesome ideas cooked up.

Agreed!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

I love that name! SDC/DW always do a pretty well job coming up with attraction names and themes.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!