Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A village is missing its IDIOT!

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby XYZ » Wed May 02, 2012 8:45 pm

chickenbowl wrote:
JeffyJosephNorCal wrote:I have no worries. If it opens Memorial Day weekend, awesome, if not, so what. We got the whole summer all the way till Holiday in the park/January 6, 2013 to ride it this season. Just glad NorCal is finally getting coasters!

Hey, I like your attitude! That's a great way to look at it! Everyone should relax cause roller coasters open when they open, and there's nothing us enthusiasts can do, and complaining won't make it come faster.

Well, I'm moving out of Nor Cal in June, so I'm not very relaxed. Though, I can come back in September if I have the money for the airfare.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:I'm really getting worried about Memorial Day weekend. Goliath at SFMM for example required 1 month of testing. In that case, the ride should've been done by April 27th.

Goliath and this Superman are 2 completely different rides, which means testing times might be different. And besides, just because it might not open on Memorial Day weekend does mean its the end of world.
Hm, I see...

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Angry_Gumball wrote:As of right now, I realistically see an either extremely late spring (last day of spring, still technically spring, you know...) or just in time for the start of summer peak season. They do somewhat seem to be progressing right along with this but not quick enough for a Memorial Day Weekend opening. I could be totally wrong but this is just my guess.

To give you an idea of how much is left to go, the final piece of Sky Rocket was put in place May 18th. The ride opened June 22nd. There's a lot more that goes into getting the ride ready than testing, especially with Premier coasters. Each stator on the launch needs to be adjusted to allow the proper clearance between the magnets on the trains. It might not seem like a long process, but it is! Especially when you're winching the train up the launch inch by inch to make your measurements. Calibration and testing also needs to be done on the launch itself, which when it was done to Sky Rocket, the people who manufacture the stators had to fly in from Germany. Once all that is done, the PLC needs to be programmed. Also, depending on how strict Six Flags is with their new ride testing, that could also take some time. With Sky Rocket, the park only performed a few hundred tests on the trains before they cleared it to open. Hersheypark on the other hand said that 200+ HOURS of testing needs to be done on each train before Sky Rush can open to the public. Kinda gives you a good perspective on the time frame we are looking at with this ride. Let's keep in mind the entire structure hasn't even been put up either!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu May 03, 2012 11:09 am

Andrewoplis wrote:
Rollercoaster Rider wrote:I'm really getting worried about Memorial Day weekend. Goliath at SFMM for example required 1 month of testing. In that case, the ride should've been done by April 27th.

Goliath and this Superman are 2 completely different rides, which means testing times might be different. And besides, just because it might not open on Memorial Day weekend does mean its the end of world.

It kinda is for me, I'm going Memorial Day Weekend.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

X is the best. Tatsu sucks.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Fri May 04, 2012 5:48 pm

So this weekend, I'm headed to Cedar Point. Today, I went from Greeley, Colorado to a small Nebraska town to spend the night. Along the way on I-80... I saw some supports for Superman going westbound! It was so sexy. I kept an eye open for more, but all I saw was a drop tower (Moser, I think) called "Shock Drop".

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Fri May 04, 2012 6:40 pm

So today, I decided to take advantage of my day off from school and head out to SFDK. Today was math and physics day and it was VERY crowed, so didn't go on to much. But have a season pass and whole summer to go to the park many times so its not that big of a deal. Oh, and I also took some pictures!
p1.png
Hello Superman supports!
p2.png
And lets not forget about the track!
p3.png
Some twisty bits.
p4.png
Last time I was here, this spot had a sad, dismantled Pandemonium. And now there's a Premier launch coaster being built there!
p5.png
p6.png
Random man-lift thingy.
p7.png
More of those awesome Superman supports!
p8.png
The station and the tunnel are coming along quite nicely!
p9.png
Awesomeness!
p10.png
Here's the site as seen from Roar's queue.
p11.png
p17.png
Here's another look at that awesome station!

That's it for Superman, lets see what else is going on.
p12.png
OMG Voodoo's fountain is on!! OMG!!!
p13.png
Aw, look at the pretty butterfly!
p14.png
Penguin!!
p15.png
Random B&M!
p16.png
Bye, Bye SFDK!
Hm, I see...

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for the report! It seems that Superman is doing well in construction now. This is not going to open for Memorial Day. Also, the photos proved that Pandemonium's station isn't being re-used and that my thoughts that the south tower will be triangular was correct. I'm just waiting for them to get some more supports into the air.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Fri May 04, 2012 9:55 pm

I passed a truck carrying some supports for SFDK's Superman while traveling westbound on I-80 through Roseville this morning at about 5:30 AM as I was headed to work. It's the first time I've ever seen coaster parts being transported and actually knew where they were headed.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Mon May 07, 2012 1:36 am

VooDoo's fountains!? Does not compute. That pond was GROSS last week when I rode it. Hope they at least cleaned it out a bit, but that is awesome! Hope that kind of upkeep lasts.

Superman's construction seems to have really slowed down. Not a whole lot of progress over the last week. The station and tunnel themeing are coming along though, which is good to see.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm

^VooDoo has fountains?!? :omg:

I didn't know there could be anything else besides green slime and trash to stare down at. Mind = blown.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!