TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release regarding their newest dining experiences for guests.

Universal Orlando Resort is offering incredible value this spring and summer, plus special, new dining experiences that will give guests and their families moments and memories to last a lifetime.

The vacation package and the new dining program come just in time for guests to experience all of the new entertainment coming to Universal Orlando in 2012. For example, starting May 8 guests can enjoy two all-new entertainment experiences at Universal Studios Florida: Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories and Universal’s Superstar Parade.

Visit Universal Orlando This Summer!

Explore all of the exhilarating rides and attractions in both Universal Orlando theme parks with a vacation package starting at $899 per family of four, tax inclusive. The package includes:

• Four night accommodations at a nearby Universal Partner Hotel
  • 3-Day Base Ticket to both Universal Orlando theme parks
  • Early Park Admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter and, for a limited time, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (valid for travel through June 30)
  • Breakfast at Three Broomsticks inside The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – one per person
  • Access to live entertainment at Universal CityWalk
  • Free scheduled transportation between the hotel and Universal Orlando Resort

All-New Dining Program at Universal Studios Florida

Guests can add two new, extraordinary dining options to their vacation package – each designed to create memorable experiences for the entire family from day to night.

Universal’s Superstar Character Breakfast starts with a breakfast experience filled with smiles, laughter and long-lasting memories. Children of all ages will be joined by some very special friends: the stars from the new Universal’s Superstar Parade. Guests will be able to share special moments with their favorite characters, such as creating mayhem with the minions from the blockbuster animated adventure Despicable Me, posing for a photo with Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants and getting a coveted autograph from Dora & Diego. Later that day, guests will feel like celebrities as they get special VIP viewing access to enjoy Universal’s Superstar Parade – an all-new entertainment experience that features larger-than-life floats, state-of-the-art technology, hundreds of energetic street performers along with some of today’s most beloved animated characters.

To cap off the evening, Universal’s Cinematic Dining Experience offers a unique way to enjoy Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular. Guests will start off the night with a delicious meal at Lombard’s Seafood Grille, located along the picturesque Universal Studios lagoon. Later that evening, guests will enjoy dessert in an exclusive area at the restaurant’s waterfront boardwalk, where the entire family will share a spectacular view of Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular, featuring some of the best, most inspiring, emotion-filled moments in film history. The new show is a tribute to Universal’s 100 years of film-making history. It will highlight some of the most fun, dramatic, awe-inspiring moments from Universal Picture’s most iconic films – shown in crystal-clear clarity on huge waterfall screens within the Universal Studios lagoon. The show will take guests on a journey of epic cinematic moments filled with heroes, horror, laughter, good versus evil and triumph – all against a backdrop of light, sound and special effects.

Universal’s Superstar Character Breakfast will be available for guests to experience starting on June 15, for $26.99 per adult and $10.99 per child; Universal’s Cinematic Dining Experience begins on June 1 and is available for $44.99 per adult and $12.99 per child. Guests can add both of these amazing experiences to any Universal Orlando vacation package starting today.

Universal’s Superstar Parade and Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular are part of the new entertainment experiences debuting during the “Year to Be Here” at Universal Orlando. Earlier this year, in Universal’s Islands of Adventure, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man attraction re-launched with all-new 4K high definition animation, a new music score and new high-tech 3-D glasses. In addition, the Blue Man Group show in Universal CityWalk has taken its unique and captivating brand of live entertainment to another level, with a new show environment, new music, new technology and new experiences.

For more information about Universal Orlando Resort’s vacation packages and the new dining program, visit http://www.universalorlando.com.

So today I had the chance to roam through Universal Orlando today and happened to stumble upon a current testing of something very exciting for the resort... Lo-Q's Q-Bots are being tested at Islands of Adventure as an alternative (read: replacement) system for the Universal Express system.

Along with spotting these new Q-Bots in the while, I got a few shots of other changes within the parks, including the newly unveiled entrance of Despicable Me Minion Mayhem which looks like it is ready to open very soon!

DSC01968.JPG.eadf56e9cc67ccd23fab7d1ad1ba2bf5.JPG

The Hulk has been the most publicized testing location at Islands of Adventure for the Q-Bot for quite some time, so that was where we looked first.

DSC01974.JPG.dacd820b6cd3c5de824b5039cc612a9a.JPG

Over at The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, the Express greeter was equipped with her Q-Bot as well.

DSC01978.JPG.edbbe1f4a4ba5a2b1c65437230b77f06.JPG

Doctor Doom's Fearfall also had a Q-Bot reader on hand.

DSC01980.JPG.019da249dbc8213de88df64560149518.JPG

Up close, the Q-Bot reader looks the same as the ones used in the other parks. A reader was also found at the entrance to the Jurassic Park River Adventure.

DSC01985.JPG.bdc6576379e9b129ebed5b67f027032a.JPG

Guess where this one was found...

DSC01986.JPG.2777633d30d217c3d189b9d8c94fb42c.JPG

Poseidon's Fury is Q-Bot equipped too!

DSC01990.JPG.c4de1b469ff42a1246c63428ee45655a.JPG

Caro-Seuss-el had a reader as well.

DSC01991.JPG.55c4c9a57c7db7cc152ef2db261f4d5e.JPG

The Cat in the Hat features one too...

DSC01992.JPG.a84f8946a0d9bca24a2ae665baad779a.JPG

And of course, One Fish, Two Fish.

DSC01943.JPG.205bad252d81f6d1d3b1ef4094df72bd.JPG

Over at Universal Studios Florida, the walls have come down around the entrance for Despicable Me Minion Mayhem.

DSC01946.JPG.2fb5c84aedc809642c0034bf6399541b.JPG

The former Nickelodeon Way has become Minion Way in honor of the attraction's arrival.

DSC01947.JPG.43086929d5af8b9cb2b6fcf63c43edaa.JPG

The studio housing the attraction now sports some awesome banners.

DSC01948.JPG.a1400d59bef6c7441e5a6702a023b153.JPG

Gru's "car" is parked in the garage.

DSC01949.JPG.4097a4bc343ecce184ee13dc7fe15c58.JPG

Enjoy Larry!

DSC01950.JPG.2ffbdd1798adb2e3a14181014d13530c.JPG

The facade looks great doesn't it?

DSC01952.JPG.c21f9d62a2c0dbc4a5e4a1a96bb5765c.JPG

It seems that Gru's house will serve as the splitting point between Universal Express and the Standby queues.

DSC01954.JPG.3bad3644c5efc6c8bf935f5b9659d4ff.JPG

Testing of the queue's video loop seemed to be going on, with audio playing in the main queue but not above the Express queue.

DSC01956.JPG.cc3aa8b3ef06b32279dc18f2b99caee7.JPG

This should eventually be the Express queue.

DSC01957.JPG.d84e378213431fe06909f3633fdabeb7.JPG

DSC01959.JPG.1fddabd00ab88cacb158fcfb60b2a5c6.JPG

Notice the time codes, and property rights stamps on the video.

DSC01960.JPG.f97b1d93b010981208c016549db28a23.JPG

Silly humans, don't you know all rides end at the gift shop?

DSC01961.JPG.1ecfbc083c5c2bb3d098ba05d988ffbd.JPG

DSC01962.JPG.04de57cff2a0a051f40df2aa0dbed5ee.JPG

These are new!

DSC01963.JPG.b4746f583e6a6cd7c5e80c3e25f4409c.JPG

This explains the odd support outline people had seen before the banner was installed.

DSC01964.JPG.71a5222b7b71ba9ff5e132e887776a2f.JPG

Notice the minion trapped under the billboard's wrap?

DSC01965.JPG.f2072053e4a067eab6d3be9dfb0660b5.JPG

Getting very excited for Despicable Me Minion Mayhem!

DSC01993.JPG.f3459b237f6c6f8690967eba65bf2e31.JPG

Back in Islands of Adventure, new and expensive Potter merchandise has debuted.

DSC01994.JPG.89c9af331de3d54a6dc8067bc3f94973.JPG

Would you spend $195 for Snape's coat?

DSC01995.JPG.087beb478d8deff2acf731842174726f.JPG

Oh, it gets better.

DSC01996.JPG.e36b63a92184724e0a7c0afe56d55d95.JPG

Getting warmer!

DSC01997.JPG.68ff3c69bc078f08f8d9d83adf1c55de.JPG

YAHTZEE!

I think my favorite part of this TR is the apathy shown in the majority of your cast member photos!!! Leaning over, resting on queues, a look of utter despair, etc.

So happy to have Qbot in Florida!!!! Long live Qbot and the Qbot Minions!!!!!

Its not always smiles and sunshine when working in a theme park, but dang, it seems everyone was depressed that day. =P

They're only testing the Q Bots for today and tomorrow, off duty employees can pick them up before they go in to play that day to test the system.

I know with the Express system, staying at an on-site hotel/resort meant that your room key doubled as an Express Pass. Are they still going to do this (in some form) with the Q-Bots?

Thanks for the update! As stated, Despicable Me looks great!

I was wondering around universal today as well. I saw the despicable me queue and thought it looked really nice. I didn't even notice the Qbots though I did notice all the normal lines were nice and short

I'm usually a Q-bot hater, but I actually think Universal Orlando was waiting to get this system. I can see Universal getting a fortune on this since they're known for very long lines (as with other Orlando parks).

Adam: did you happen to see how they were implementing the system? Are they doing the different pricing levels for shorter wait times like other parks? Or just using Q-bots as a straight replacement for express?

I'm surprised that those Qbots don't get more hate here, I read other blogs and you almost fear to say that you like them. We bought them on nearly every park that has got them, mainly SF parks and we loved it. It is just so much more relaxing to sit somewhere or take a minor ride than waiting in-line. I never understood the haters. You see, when you come from Abroad and you always think "This might be the first and last time I will be at this park, so better make it count." you certainly spend the extra money without blinking.

I read other blogs and you almost fear to say that you like them.

Short answer: The haters are just jelly.

Long Answer: Find any of Robb's excellent posts about why they work, and how people are bitter simply because they're not willing to pony up the extra cash for them.

I can't believe people are still trying to demonize queue skipping measures nearly twelve years after they were introduced. Don't people know how to get over it?

By the way, I'm *thrilled* that Universal is moving to Q-Bots. I love the system and look forward to using it on a future trip.

You see, when you come from Abroad and you always think "This might be the first and last time I will be at this park, so better make it count." you certainly spend the extra money without blinking.

I doubt I would've been able to do everything at SFMM in a day, so I love the them. I'd spent so much on the flights, it really did seem like a drop in the ocean in comparison! And there was no way I was braving a 2 hour queue for X2 in the Cali sun. Big thumbs up to Universal for bringing it in, is it in place/being tested at USH?

I loved Universal Express when I've used it and I am sure I will love this system too. I'll just need to remember to bring a ziplock baggy to stick it in while riding Bluto's Bilgerat Barges.

The employees look miserable and quite depressing. I thought greeters were supposed to greet.

I'm surprised that those Qbots don't get more hate here, I read other blogs and you almost fear to say that you like them. We bought them on nearly every park that has got them, mainly SF parks and we loved it. It is just so much more relaxing to sit somewhere or take a minor ride than waiting in-line. I never understood the haters. You see, when you come from Abroad and you always think "This might be the first and last time I will be at this park, so better make it count." you certainly spend the extra money without blinking.

Hell, there are still people who gripe about Disney's Fast Pass--and everybody who buys a ticket has access to that.

Qbots > Pieces of paper.

Edited by cfc

I loved Universal Express when I've used it and I am sure I will love this system too. I'll just need to remember to bring a ziplock baggy to stick it in while riding Bluto's Bilgerat Barges.

Don't they have the plastic container in the middle to prevent items from getting wet?