TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

If it is Tron-themed it will be Robb's favorite ride.

So, with the new Chevy sponsorship, does that mean you will just have to own one of their cars to get in the VIP lounge now?

I guess there wont be many people going into the lounge if that is the case.

I've never been on this ride, in all these years; the damned thing was closed for one reason or another every time I've been to EPCOT.

But I'm all over these renderings like stink on a monkey. Officially a Tron attraction or not, LOVE IT!

I like that the new icons look like the Pokemon symbols for type.

I love the look of the concept art though! Glad I got to ride it once before the overhaul but I found that while the ride itself was a ton of fun and really inventive, the scenery lacked depth/scale, and the way this concept art looks it seems like those issues are being resolved!

So far so good.

I never thought Test Track could look more technologically advanced and nice, but I guess I was wrong. I hope that some of the ride still stays the same, like the actual ride itself in aspects like the environment chambers and the uphill test and stuff like that.

While I'm excited that they are actually revamping the ride portion of test track to make it "futuristic" (and not just changing the queue and leaving the existing ride intact) , it seems like they are just removing the detailed, practical sets and adding flat black props covered in black light paint and lasers (that if they are anything like dinosaur, won't work in a year). I'm not sure I'm looking forward to "test track-rock n rollercoaster edition" or the more famous example of this happening, the ending of Spaceship Earth.

If I saw this concept art and was told it was a new ride, I'd be looking forward to riding it .

But, since I've already ridden test track, The only thing that comes to mind is a group of imagineers stoned out of their minds asking, "What if test track was a lazer tag arena?"

This seems really cool, but I don't get how the design you car thing works. Considering each car fits six people only one person will have gotten to design the car? Im wondering if the characteristics of the car will actualy effect the ride, but the only real thing I can see them doing is making the car go slower or faster at certain points and maybe some of the effects going though what were the hot and corrosion rooms.

I'm just hoping what they are doing has some real interactivity and not in a "push the button" Mission Space kind of way.

The Test Track.

A digital frontier.

I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer.

What did they look like? Chevorlets? Yeah.Were the circuits like freeways? Were Tests 2,5 and 7 preformed?

I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day GM came to Disney with a proposal.....

I'll reserve final judgement until I get a chance to ride...this one could really go either way IMO. If the interactivity creates a unique ride experience every time and the effects on the ride change based on your selection, I can see myself thinking that is a cool way to refresh the attraction. If it's just Test Track turned backlight mini-golf? Not so much.

I would have honestly preferred they kept the theme the same, modernized the videos and displays throughout the queue/preshow/exit area, and chosen some new tests to perform on the ride.

Edited by Jew

I'm not sure if I'm 100% sold on this. I get that it's as if they are testing the car in a digital environment, but at the same time I kinda liked the realistic environment of the current version with traffic cones to dodge and so forth....Coupled with being in an actual car, that sort of set the ride apart, and made it 'real' compared to the number of other rides out there that deliberatley convey you through a fantasy environment.

As was posted earlier, I keep imagining this all being blacklight type stuff.

I'll reserve final judgement until I get a chance to ride...this one could really go either way IMO. If the interactivity creates a unique ride experience every time and the effects on the ride change based on your selection, I can see myself thinking that is a cool way to refresh the attraction. If it's just Test Track turned backlight mini-golf? Not so much.

I agree with this. If the makeover is well done, it may provide that Tron ride that fans of the two movies have long wanted (the movie doesn't have to be a big hit to provide the basis for a good attraction).

It has to be better than the old "World of Tron" section on DL's Peoplemover.

While I'm excited that they are actually revamping the ride portion of test track to make it "futuristic" (and not just changing the queue and leaving the existing ride intact) , it seems like they are just removing the detailed, practical sets and adding flat black props covered in black light paint and lasers (that if they are anything like dinosaur, won't work in a year). I'm not sure I'm looking forward to "test track-rock n rollercoaster edition" or the more famous example of this happening, the ending of Spaceship Earth.

If I saw this concept art and was told it was a new ride, I'd be looking forward to riding it .

But, since I've already ridden test track, The only thing that comes to mind is a group of imagineers stoned out of their minds asking, "What if test track was a lazer tag arena?"

I'd hardly call what they have now detailed and practical sets. I mean more than half the ride is those cut outs. I think this new overlay will be much better and more impressive.

Unlike SSE the designing will happen in the pre show and the ride will be where the parts of you car are tested.

^Hmm--that's a good point about the ride's original theming. Most of what you're seeing until you get to the "hot-and-cold" testing areas consists of cutouts and black walls. (Then again, that does make it seem more "lab-like.")

Edited by cfc

Honestly, I wonder how much they can do other than theme.

Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't they remove the "bumps" on the first section, or adjust the speed in certain parts of the ride to give a newer ride experience without changing the layout? I know this sounds stupid, but instead of showing the difference between the antilock breaks, they could do something else in that strip of road.

I think that would be cool, actually.