TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Looks like the trackless rumor is true based on that pic. Not sure how 8 people can decide on how intense the ride should be. I can't imagine the intensity level is per seat. Maybe penguin beaks that jab you in the legs and back as they attack can be more or less intense per rider?

^Maybe you have to deal with these penguins.

Armored penguins with rocket launchers would definitely add a level of "intensity."

But, seriously, this attraction sounds more intriguing the more I hear about it. It could really "up" SeaWorld's game in Orlando.

Looks like Sea World is getting rid of plastic shopping bags at all of its parks! While this is a good idea from an environmental perspective, I really don't think that paper bags are a viable alternative in Florida with our frequent summer rains and the amount of rides and attractions that include water. These bags will just fall apart!

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has decided to eliminate all plastic shopping bags from all 10 of its theme parks over the next year.

Park gift shops will offer paper bags made from 100 percent recycled paper. Park guests also will be able to buy reusable bags.

“This is a significant change for our company, one we hope will provide a model for our industry overall,” says Jim Atchison, president and CEO of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment. “Eliminating plastic bags is an important statement about our commitment to the environment, as well as the need to help protect marine animals from debris. It also allows our guests to play a direct part in making a difference on our planet.”

SeaWorld officials expect the move will keep 4 million plastic bags from entering landfills and the environment each year. An estimated 1.4 billion tons of trash, including plastic bags, enters the oceans annually. Endangered sea turtles often mistake plastic bags for jellyfish, one of their favorite foods.

I wonder if this is the most important sentence?

Park guests also will be able to buy reusable bags.

I should should think so, IMO it's a good step for the park to strengthen their ecologically friendly movement / image and also cut down on waste.

If they highlight the damage plastic bags do to the environment at the til, I'm sure people will be okay / convinced to pay $0.20 or something similar to get a plastic bag instead if the money goes to a conservation fund (which I presume some, if not all proceeds will go to).

Turtle Trek is NOW OPEN!

Turtle Trek opened on Friday, April 27th, and Theme Park Review was there for the media event!

The attraction itself does a VERY good job of both entertaining and educating with some very impressive visual effects. The film is presented in a full 360 domed theater, all in really amazing looking 3-D. If you can imagine like a really modern day update to the "CircleVision 360" technology, that's exactly what it is. There are some scenes that are absolutely stunning, and it feels like the imagery is actually with you in the audience.

Anyway, enough typing, here are some pics and video from the attraction!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCIwz1jDNFg

Something new at SeaWorld Orlando! Turtle Trek opens today!

Turtle Trek at SeaWorld Orlando is the worlds first 360 Degrees, 3D dome theater experience!

Terry Prather, President of SeaWorld Orlando opens Turtle Trek, worlds first 3D, 360 dome theater attraction!

Animal Ambassador JulieScardina for SeaWorld Orlando tells us about their animal rescue program and some of their great accomplishments.

The animal rescue staff and the animals they've rescued officially open Turtle Trek at SeaWorld Orlando!

In the Turtle Trek pre-show area, these guys get all the attention!

One of the rescued turtles at Turtle Trek. This guy may not have made it in the wild!

Turtle Trek at SeaWorld Orlando. The 3D and visual technology is very impressive!

With a fully immersive 3D 360 dome screen, Turtle Trek's visual effects are very impressive!

And of course, the sea turtles are the star of the show!

The Turtle Trek journey takes you from the birth of the sea turtles, through their adventure, and even a rescue mission!

And you get really cool 3D glasses to watch the show!

The key message of the attraction is there from the pre-show all the way to the gift shop!

Would you believe it? These guys are everyday heroes!

There are interactive exhibits at the exit to the attraction.

The manatees are still part of the exhibit.

Which one is the manatee? It's hard to tell.

Some of the Turtle Trek merch in the gift shop.

Lots of turtle stuff to buy!

Thanks to Julie Scardina, Sea World's Animal Ambassador, her and her crew, are responsible for the rescue and preservation of many of the parks animals.

Robb Alvey says THANK YOU to Sea World Orlando Park President, Terry Prather, for a fantastic new addition to SeaWorld Orlando, Turtle Trek!

Taking a quick look around the park and getting excited for NEXT year's big attraction....

Construction area for SeaWorld Orlando's 2013 attraction, Antarctica, is huge! Looking forward to this next year!

New image released for SeaWorld Orlando's Antarctica. What kind of ride do you think it will be?

IMG_5935.thumb.JPG.2c590af2b06d37bb5f53e3f220402c3c.JPG

Yup! Lots of dirt!

IMG_5929a.thumb.jpg.09240d172ecd313aae485938b7da8087.jpg

Is there were the old Penguin building used to be?

IMG_5916a.thumb.jpg.4e5a49d51789a89043b32390b06593cc.jpg

The Sky Tower is now FREE! Included with admission!

IMG_5900a.thumb.jpg.69dec1fa5d95e146488e1becab90c5e4.jpg

Let's not forget the best new addition to SeaWorld Orlando! (and all of the SW/Busch parks!!!) =)

IMG_5899a.thumb.jpg.8b61129dc911bf550b533977909ca295.jpg

This is a HUGE improvement!!!!

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.8904e9a7176d7052c07bcf711722d787.JPG

SeaWorld's new for 2012 Turtle Trek is a huge win! And we're looking forward to what 2013 brings as well!

Edited by robbalvey

I'll definitely try Turtle Trek next time I'm at the park, but I don't how how the technology varies from the 360 3D movie at Parque Espana.

I didn't see the movie at Parque Espana - but was it in a dome? Meaning that the footage wasn't just on screens around you, it was on screens around you and above you as one seamless image?

I'll definitely try Turtle Trek next time I'm at the park, but I don't how how the technology varies from the 360 3D movie at Parque Espana.

I didn't see the movie at Parque Espana - but was it in a dome? Meaning that the footage wasn't just on screens around you, it was on screens around you and above you as one seamless image?

Yes, at Parque Espana it was on a dome as a seamless image. At least that's how I remembered it.

Edited by larrygator

^ Then I have no idea. Maybe either they don't know about the movie in Japan, or it is different enough technology that isn't obvious to us that it's a "worlds first", I'm not sure. I guess I look at it this way - I spend most of my time going to theme parks and not even I knew another dome 3D movie existed in the world!

^ Then I have no idea. Maybe either they don't know about the movie in Japan, or it is different enough technology that isn't obvious to us that it's a "worlds first", I'm not sure. I guess I look at it this way - I spend most of my time going to theme parks and not even I knew another dome 3D movie existed in the world!

If there is a dome then it isn't in 3D. SeaWorld has a patent on this 3D dome technology from what I heard.

Turtle Trek was pretty cool. It was REALLY cheesy, but I come to expect that out of SeaWorld. The whole 360 3D thing was definitely the most impressive thing about the whole attraction, and I'm glad I get to see the manatees again. It'll be great for kids, but I'm not so sure I'll be going out of my way to see the show again.

If there is a dome then it isn't in 3D. SeaWorld has a patent on this 3D dome technology from what I heard.

Right, but that doesn't always mean much. For example, this patent could be on a 3D dome with SIX projectors instead of FIVE, etc.... and the "worlds first" or "patent" could just be more of a marketing thing.

I honestly have no idea. Chances are, Larrygator is totally wrong and what he saw was probably a sock puppet show in Japan!

Right, but that doesn't always mean much. For example, this patent could be on a 3D dome with SIX projectors instead of FIVE, etc.... and the "worlds first" or "patent" could just be more of a marketing thing.

I honestly have no idea. Chances are, Larrygator is totally wrong and what he saw was probably a sock puppet show in Japan!

True - World's first could very well mean something that is transparent to the customer

False - It was a sock puppet show at Parque Espana.

Although the Parque Espana attraction did have stools to sit on, so maybe it the world's first attraction of this kind where you have to stand up.