Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 324: V.I.PASSHOLDER Perks in January announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 am

I wonder if they're allowed to put it on the cruise line or if RCCL has an exclusive deal for the only Starbucks at Sea?

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/american-institute-of-architects-honors-cinderella-castle-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Cinderella Castle just keeps racking up the honors.

This month, the Walt Disney World Resort landmark icon was named one of the Top 100 Buildings in Florida by The Florida Association of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Florida) as a part of their “Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places.” celebration for the organization’s 100-year anniversary. Cinderella Castle was also named Top Building in the Recreational Architecture category.

AIA Florida is an association of architects with a mission to unite, educate and position architects to lead the shaping of Florida’s future. The members of AIA Florida are leaders in their communities and passionate about good design; the health, safety and welfare of others; and preserving architecture through sustainable practice.

AIA Florida Immediate Past President and former Imagineer Michael Lingerfelt, FAIA, LEED AP, presented the award to Magic Kingdom Park General Manager Phil Holmes on Wednesday, April 18. It was a homecoming of sorts for Lingerfelt, whose 15-year tenure with WDI included working on Magic Kingdom Park projects such as New Tomorrowland, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Mickey’s PhilharMagic.

In March, AIA Florida launched the Top 100 Buildings statewide online competition, inviting the public to vote for their favorite Florida building. More than two and a half million votes were cast, both by architects in the association and the general public. This year marks the 100th anniversary of AIA Florida, recognizing the important contributions architects have made in the Sunshine State. The awards are just one of the events the association has planned throughout the year to celebrate its anniversary, which is Dec. 14.
aia553561LARGE.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:40 am

jedimaster1227 wrote:http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/starbucks-coming-to-disney-parks/

Today, we’re excited to officially announce plans to bring your favorite Starbucks drinks and food items to all of our theme parks at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.

In June, the first of six planned Starbucks locations is scheduled to open at Disney California Adventure park. And more locations are planned at Disneyland park and Walt Disney World Resort (Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom).

The Starbucks locations inside our parks will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Disney California Adventure park, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles, when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire.

The café will serve Starbucks items, including coffee and espresso beverages, Frappuccino® blended beverages, and signature breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Guests also will have their choice of Disney favorites, including signature sandwiches and other items, as well as delicious desserts and sweet treats.

Let us know what you’ll be ordering in the comments.

It's just sad they couldn't get Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf instead. :Pr

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby orangecats2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:47 am

My husband will be THRILLED when I tell him about the Starbucks addition. :mickey:

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/the-magic-the-memories-and-you-summer-show-begins-may-25-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Earlier this year, my fellow Disney Parks Blog author, Shawn Slater hinted that changes were coming to “The Magic, The Memories, and You!” nighttime show at Magic Kingdom Park. Today, we’re happy to announce that the summer version of this show will begin May 25.

Here’s a sneak peek at one new scene that will appear in the show, in which Cinderella Castle turns into a giant sandcastle.
cas118942LARGE.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Last Monday I had the opportunity to attend a special D23 event for a very small group of people (65 to be exact) celebrating the re-opening of the Sunshine Tree Terrace at the Magic Kingdom. Mind you, we did not yet know officially about (though most of us were prepared for) the unveiling of the return of the Orange Bird, but we were happy to attend.
DSC01584.JPG
Disney Archivist I am too stupid to spell Steel Vengeance so I'll just write SteVen and pretend I'm being cool Vagnini led the morning's ceremonies and hyped up the crowd while we waited to enter Adventureland. From there we were told to keep our eyes and ears open for a few surprises...
DSC01587.JPG
Along the way, a few members of the group caught a look at these beauties!
DSC01588.JPG
I'm glad I bought mine when I did, because the inventory was sold out by the next day.
DSC01592.JPG
A stage was set up in front of the recently-unveiled Sunshine Tree Terrace.
DSC01593.JPG
The torches are finally back at the Sunshine Tree Terrace and they actually have fire!
DSC01596.JPG
Jason Grandt of Walt Disney Imagineering was the main pusher behind the return of the Orange Bird.
DSC01597.JPG
Vintage sippy cups!
DSC01598.JPG
Believe it or not, this is the original Orange Bird figurine that swung from a branch inside of the Sunshine Tree Terrace back in 1971. The figure was found in the Walt Disney Archives and after being fully restored, is now featured here once again.
DSC01600.JPG
If you've ever had the chance to hear Jason talk about it (or follow him on Twitter), you'll know Jason is passionate about the Orange Bird (along with lots of other Disney history).
DSC01605.JPG
Time for some Orange Bird trivia!
DSC01607.JPG
I won a vintage Orange Bird whistle for answering the question, "Why is the idea of an Orange Bird whistle ironic?" It is ironic because the Orange Bird can't speak--all the thoughts he ever spoke appear in orange smoke, and that's what makes the Orange Bird unique.
DSC01613.JPG
Disney Artist Casey Jones was on hand to help show off the new Orange Bird poster print as well as other new Orange Bird merchandise.
DSC01616.JPG
DSC01617.JPG
DSC01619.JPG
Monty from merchandising had plenty to say about the new items as well.
DSC01622.JPG
Several new Orange Bird pins are on the way...
DSC01624.JPG
As well as a new Orange Bird ear hat!
DSC01630.JPG
After the presentation, we were given samples of the newly revived Citrus Swirl that can now be purchased at the Sunshine Tree Terrace.
DSC01632.JPG
It was a little early for ice cream (and as you can tell I was a little tired) but the Citrus Swirl was pretty awesome. It's kind of like a mix between vanilla ice cream and pure frozen citrus--they don't taste amazing on their own, but mixed together they are pretty great. Definitely a lighter-tasting alternative to the Dole Whip (which I love).
DSC01633.JPG
Since it was the morning, D23 kept in theme by providing us with some fresh Florida oranges.
DSC01635.JPG
After many years the Orange Bird is back home.
DSC01637.JPG
Just another awesome layer of detail for guests to see!
DSC01641.JPG
The Orange Bird sippy cups are found everywhere in the Sunshine Tree Terrace.
DSC01644.JPG
Following in recent WDI tradition, there's a ton of little tributes in this label. Loranges (Horizons) is my favorite, but I'll let you pick out the rest.
DSC01645.JPG
Very cool!
DSC01646.JPG
Back to the merchandise!
DSC01649.JPG
DSC01650.JPG
I love that logo on the back!
DSC01653.JPG
DSC01654.JPG
A Sunshine Tree Terrace exclusive menu item!
DSC01655.JPG
DSC01659.JPG
Fire!
DSC01660.JPG
Hey, I'm a Disney dork and I know it. At least I can enjoy it.
DSC01665.JPG
The Sunshine Tree Terrace even has a poster under the entryways of the Train Station.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby doom1001 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Wow,I remember seeing those orange bird sippy cups when I was a little kid,no way would I have ever remembered they existed if they didn't bring them back.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby UberBeavis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 pm

So is that their "Harry Potter" killer? :p

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:44 pm

I remember Orange Bird from the old Anita Bryant orange juice commercials back in the 70s. He's definitely a retro memory jogger.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:53 am

UberBeavis wrote:So is that their "Harry Potter" killer? :p

Orange Bird is merely the latest reincarnation of Voldemort.

It's good to see WDW focusing on the little touches--they really add to the atmosphere of the Disney parks.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!