TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

I think I really like the idea of making the single rider line have a higher height requirement than the normal ride. It makes it harder for terrible parents to force their small kids to try and ride alone which I've seen on several other single rider lines.

Great report William, really detailed!

This looks pretty cool, I'm a big fan of the Spiderman ride system (they need to license it to some European parks!) so any new addition is a good thing in my books!

Its nice to see that all this time after the 2009 west coast trip when the building was under wraps it's finally open(ish!).

Dave

I'm impressed with the detail put into making it look like an authentic government compound. Particularly the equipment racks (buttons!) and the signs citing various standards. My favorite was the drinking water sign in the child swap room.

Anyways, I'm very excited to ride it, but I probably won't make a special visit until I'm there for HHN.

Have they neutralized the characters from the movie? In one of the pictures it appears as though they've edited Optimus and Bumblebee from a Peterbuilt and Camaro to more neutral vehicles. They definitely have still retained the shape of those respective vehicles but have no badging and slightly modified front-ends.

Nope. The photo you are referring to is taken inside the "child-swap" area (universal's version of pin trading).. I'm guessing Universal Creative used these graphics in a rarely seen spot just to make the transformers appear slightly more friendly to the tiniest constructicons.

All of the car brands remain intact and you'll even see a VW Beetle painted in Bumble Bee's colors as an homage to the original version.

Have they neutralized the characters from the movie? In one of the pictures it appears as though they've edited Optimus and Bumblebee from a Peterbuilt and Camaro to more neutral vehicles. They definitely have still retained the shape of those respective vehicles but have no badging and slightly modified front-ends.

Nope. The photo you are referring to is taken inside the "child-swap" area (universal's version of pin trading).. I'm guessing Universal Creative used these graphics in a rarely seen spot just to make the transformers appear slightly more friendly to the tiniest constructicons.

All of the car brands remain intact and you'll even see a VW Beetle painted in Bumble Bee's colors as an homage to the original version.

Awesome! Thanks!

The characters on the wall in Child Switch (and the cartoon clips playing on the TV/interactive monitors) are from the Transformers: Prime show currently airing on The Hub network.

Wouldn't make much sense to have PG-13 material playing in a room meant for kids too small to ride.

Also to add to what William said about the uniforms: the leads and supervisors also have rankings instead of the normal "team leader" thing on their badge. Another nice touch.

Edited by Jew

nice video from the whole ride.... haven`t found it here, so post it! But spoils the whole ride, so be warned:

Admin Edit!!!

LINK REMOVED!!!!

You should know better not to post "illegal" videos on TPR! Cameras are NOT ALLOWED on this attraction! So please, do not encourage others by posting videos like this.

This will be your only warning!!!

Edited by robbalvey

Cool pics from the Transformers ride. I'm glad the ride is up and running (at least in its soft opening phase). I don't think any POV videos would do this ride any justice do to the darkness and the 3D elements. Its one of those rides you just have to wait and ride it. I'll have to make a trip to USH sometime this year as I also have yet to try the Simpsons ride or the new King Kong 369 3D element on the Studio Tour.

How consistent do you these soft openings will be? Would it be worth visiting the park prior to the grand opening or maybe I should wait till after the official opening.

If you're only going to the park one and you want the full show, you're best bet is to wait. While you may get it on a soft opening the signs clearly state that it might not be running fully (or at all!) so if you only have one shot, wait it out.

^I would second that thought.

The ride closed today at 5PM with the park open until 7PM. So I definitely wouldn't assume it will be open all the time prior to the official grand opening.

Managed to get two rides on Transformers this morning, and it got a big thumbs up from all 7 of us in our group. If you'rea fan of Dark Castle and/or Spiderman then you'll instantly love transformers. The details everywhere are outstanding and the sense of urgency from the employees creates a great atmosphere to start your journey amongst well designed sets and Immersive screens. I'll say that while Transformers ups the ride system and definitely shows a better designed use of screens, it doesn't have any of the fun longer distance runs and quick movements through sets from screen to screen ( example the "spin cycle" on Spiderman) instead Transformers relies on the perfect flow from one screen and then a quick 180 degree spin to immediately see another screen continuing on the story. While I miss some of the quicker paced movements combined with some longer and varied set interactions found in the other rides, Transformers still delivers thrills and fun and will be praised and ranked as the best of the three similar rides and I'll agree. I'll give kudos to the lift systems for this ride as they are so smooth and blend in so well I couldn't tell on the first ride for sure when they were moving even though I guessed what scenes they were happening in, and what's even better was some in our group didn't even know they existed till I asked if they had felt them.

In short If you can make it out for the technical rehearsals I highly suggest doing so, as for me I look forward to going back after grand opening and seeing what tweaks and other special effects may show up and to keep enjoying a world class dark ride.

002_63.thumb.jpg.82b1dd78c846d31cd5f853d5f2cd44e3.jpg

..."The Serious Face"; a subsidiary of "The Manly Pose"

William, THIS made my DAY!!!!!!

I was at Universal today with ILoveRides and he never mentioned this!!!! SHAME ON YOU DAVID!!!!!! As huge MANLY POSE enthusiasts, The Bebes will definitely be working on their SERIOUS FACE poses.

SuperShawn was also with us, so I won't bore you all with more of what ^he just said.

BUT I was the one who didnt know there was a multi-level track, and never noticed a transfer. For today's "soft" opening, there was FIRE and WATER effects active. AND the invisible glasses were available at the very beginning of the day too!!!!! LOL!!!!!

1348968119_TheUniversalGang.jpg.b5ff28043349504c31b0f749db364a28.jpg

Transformers was soooper cooool!!!!!

ooking forward to going there...

And pressing all of the buttons in the que. :3

On the SG version some woman told me off when I started playing with the one right where the SRQ enters the loading station...."Don't do that!".

ooking forward to going there...

And pressing all of the buttons in the que. :3

On the SG version some woman told me off when I started playing with the one right where the SRQ enters the loading station...."Don't do that!".

That's so weird because when we were at the Singapore one, the staff ENCOURAGED us to press all the buttons!

Perhaps that was something the staff assumed at first, and then was trained to allow later?

Remember, something like Universal caliber attractions is still very new in a country like Singapore.

Edited by robbalvey

I read it as some random woman, but you never know. I still thought it was kind of funny either way.

Oh! LOL! That would almost make sense! Singapore people are VERY respectful of their surroundings, for example, in the queue for the ride, all of the stuff you see either behind fencing or out of reach in the American version, you can actually touch and reach in the Singapore queue. But it's because the people in that country respect that kind of stuff, and aren't disgusting animals that would purposely destroy it for no reason.

So I can see the fine line of someone pressing the buttons (that are actually meant to be pressed) and getting shouted at by a Singapore local thinking they were disrespecting the display.

It's actually kind of funny, when you think about it...and says a lot for our American society.

Case in point....

American Version:

Singapore Version:

IMG_6623.thumb.JPG.f47b97f9ffd593d564c093474d0b23c8.JPG

No gates around this in Singapore.

Edited by robbalvey

Rode Transformers on Saturday and I was thoroughly impressed.

First 2 times we rode was right at park opening and waited no longer than 10 minutes either time. The 2nd time they did have technical difficulties which only lasted a few minutes. A very cool thing was that they gave everyone in the loading area a bag of peanuts to munch on while they waited. Being a new attraction maintenance staff was pretty much on site within seconds. The 1st time I rode I wore the glasses and enjoyed as the GP would. Every time there after I was a complete nerd and was watching the elevator lifts and thought their movement is felt only very slightly. It's hard to tell the vehicle is changing levels. Special effects are very well done and Dolby 3D is very amazing.

Naturally, the wait time increased as the morning continued and by 1 the line was at 90 minutes. We decided to take advantage of the single ride queue and rode an additional 3 times within 20 minutes. The crew did an exceptional job at loading and unloading. The groupers were loading single riders like crazy. Single rider line is the way to go. Only issue I see is that the single rider queue is very small so I can see it being shut down multiple times throughout the day due to high demand but still worth it.