Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 328: "Disney Genie" digital offering announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:46 am

^You can avoid bad food at Burger King? ;)

Meanwhile, to get back on topic, WDW has some good food.
Last edited by cfc on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 pm

cfc wrote:Meanwhile, to get back on topic, WDW has some good food.

And the monorails need ScarJo. :Pr

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby super7 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 am

It's a fact. Cedar Fair and Six Flags are gougers. Upcharge attractions, high prices for low quality food, pay to cut line systems. Disney puts 100 times more into the guest experience than those parks do. CF and SF are designed for people that don't want to travel to a quality park.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:28 am

mcjaco wrote:
cfc wrote:Meanwhile, to get back on topic, WDW has some good food.

And the monorails need ScarJo. :Pr

Yes.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Reuschini » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:42 pm

larrygator wrote:What I'm saying is if Disney dropped their admission prices the $40-$50 a day they would not be able to sell food at these prices. Conversely, if SF and CF bumped up their admission prices by $20-$30 and still attracted the same volume of crowds, they could lower their food/drink prices.

What I'm saying is that Disney could actually keep their admission prices the exact same, and bump up the food prices to ridiculous amounts, and nobody could do anything about it -- but Disney don't. That's my point. Regardless of what you pay to get into the park, Disney could charge whatever they wanted once you're in, but they keep it decently priced. And it's just nice when you're in the most popular theme park in the world and you expect to be gouged for food in the park, but you look up at the prices and see that you can spend less than $10 on a beverage and a snack.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:34 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/breaking-historic-orange-bird-returns-to-adventureland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Well, isn’t this a surprise?

Early this morning, D23 representatives announced the return of the historic Orange Bird character live in Adventureland before a small group of D23 members.
In case you aren’t familiar, Orange Bird was a character who was developed specifically for Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s. This cheerful bird originally greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland, where guests could also enjoy citrus drinks and buy Orange Bird gifts. At one time, the character even had his own record, which was released in 1971 to feature “The Orange Bird Song” – a tune penned by the Sherman Brothers (composers of the songs in “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book”).

Beginning today, Orange Bird will return to Sunshine Tree Terrace signage and quirky drink cups, and a new line of Orange Bird merchandise has already appeared on the shelves! Also, an Orange Bird statue that was on display at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the 1970s was retrieved from the WDI Sculpture Studio in California, and is now on display.

We’ll have photos to share from the announcement shortly, but in the meantime, here’s a brand-new desktop wallpaper by Jason “Tiki” Tackett for you to enjoy!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/happy-little-orange-bird-lands-on-new-merchandise-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I recall the day Disney artist Casey Jones asked if he could show me something cool. Knowing Casey’s involvement with other cool things (I’m looking at you, Dole Whip shirt), I immediately made time for him. When Casey arrived with concept art for new Orange Bird merchandise, I almost burst into song! He said these new items were being developed because the Orange Bird was returning to the Sunshine Tree Terrace at Magic Kingdom Park. We discussed how “The Florida Project” event last September served as inspiration for new merchandise.

“The Orange Bird played a key part of ‘The Florida Project,’ since the event was a salute to the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort,” explained Casey. “We created Orange Bird pins and Vinylmation, and featured him in the event décor. At that time, we were unaware that Walt Disney Imagineering had plans of bringing the Orange Bird back to Walt Disney World Resort the following spring! We eventually worked with Imagineering to brainstorm new merchandise to commemorate his return!”

Casey explained that partnerships with Walt Disney Imagineer Jason Grandt and Steven Vagnini from the Walt Disney Archives were instrumental in creating these new items. “Jason and Steven were outstanding partners,” continued Casey. “Jason actually provided the artwork for the two tee-shirts and a deluxe print, and Steven provided a tremendous amount of reference material about the Orange Bird when we visited him in California.”

The deluxe print Casey mentions is one of my favorite items. Jason combined the original concept artwork for the Sunshine Pavilion that was created by Richard Hebner in 1969 with original Orange Bird art he created for Walt Disney World Resort’s newest attraction poster!

Casey also developed his very first ear hat, which is arriving this summer. It reminds me of the Figment ear hat we released last fall.

Jason shared his thoughts around the new Orange Bird merchandise. “We wanted to add an extra layer of magic for guests visiting the Sunshine Tree Terrace,” said Jason. “With the new merchandise, guests can now see the Orange Bird and take home a little memory of their visit.”

With all this talk of the Orange Bird, I’m craving a citrus swirl! Who wants to join me?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/citrus-swirl-is-back-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

With this week’s happy announcement of the return of the Orange Bird to the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Magic Kingdom Park, the original Citrus Swirl makes its official comeback too. Gone for more than a quarter of a century, it’s nice to have them back where they belong for the 40th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World Resort.

Who remembers that icy swirl of frozen orange and soft-serve vanilla ice cream, a duo of delish in the heat of summertime? There was a knock-off for a while at Aloha Isle, but this swirl is the original recipe, a sweet-tart tower in a cone or cup ($3.19 and on the Disney Dining Plan).

And check out the adorable orange bird sipper cup – for kids of all ages. Oh, Orange Bird and Citrus Swirl, welcome home!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/time-lapse-video-new-fantasyland-springs-to-life/

Who’s up for a fun look at the New Fantasyland expansion?

Walt Disney Imagineering just shared an updated time-lapse video with us that offers a bird’s-eye view of how this area is shaping up. See for yourself!

For reference, the area on the left will be Enchanted Tales With Belle, Beast Castle (which will contain the Be Our Guest Restaurant), and Gaston’s Tavern. The buildings and rockwork on the right side will house the Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid attraction.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/mystery-photo-minotaurs-added-to-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

So many of you enjoyed last week’s New Fantasyland time-lapse video that Walt Disney Imagineering just sent this photo over to share with all of you.

This minotaur, a mythological figure that is a combination man and bull, was recently installed at one of the areas under construction in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park. The larger-than-life sculpture is one of two that will appear in this area.

Any guesses which area or attraction it will highlight? Leave your guesses below – the answer will be posted later today!

UPDATE: Those of you who answered “Be Our Guest Restaurant” were correct! Two of these sculptures will welcome guests at the front entrance of the restaurant. Their design was inspired by animated footage from the “Beauty and The Beast” film, specifically the scene in which Belle enters the castle for the first time.
Tackett_OrangeBird_1024x768.jpg
rng112389LARGE.jpg
rng332389LARGE.jpg
rng222389LARGE.jpg
rng442389LARGE.jpg
rng552389LARGE.jpg
rng662389LARGE.jpg
rng772389LARGE.jpg
rng882389LARGE.jpg
obm289352SMALL.jpg
obm498230LARGE.jpg
obm523054LARGE.jpg
obm792034LARGE.jpg
csb683509LARGE.jpg
csb389405LARGE.jpg
mnf923500SMALL.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:13 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

Who remembers that icy swirl of frozen orange and soft-serve vanilla ice cream, a duo of delish in the heat of summertime? There was a knock-off for a while at Aloha Isle, but this swirl is the original recipe, a sweet-tart tower in a cone or cup ($3.19 and on the Disney Dining Plan).

I do! And it's so nice to see that, and Orange Bird back!

Thanks for the update, Adam.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 am

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/starbucks-coming-to-disney-parks/

Today, we’re excited to officially announce plans to bring your favorite Starbucks drinks and food items to all of our theme parks at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.

In June, the first of six planned Starbucks locations is scheduled to open at Disney California Adventure park. And more locations are planned at Disneyland park and Walt Disney World Resort (Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom).

The Starbucks locations inside our parks will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Disney California Adventure park, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles, when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire.

The café will serve Starbucks items, including coffee and espresso beverages, Frappuccino® blended beverages, and signature breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Guests also will have their choice of Disney favorites, including signature sandwiches and other items, as well as delicious desserts and sweet treats.

Let us know what you’ll be ordering in the comments.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 am

^Robb is super excited!

Postby Wes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 am

ANYTHING is a step up from the horrible Nescafe crap they tried to pass off as coffee. I hope they get around to switching Starbucks resort-wide (hotels etc).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!