Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Wow, this sounds fantastic. First the tequila bar in mexico, now a wine bar in Italy, I've got my fingers crossed for a scotch bar in the UK Pavilion before January.

Postby ginzo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Some of the very best food in Italy is served in wine bars. I've had many incredible meals in them. This is a very nice addition to EPCOT.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:57 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-epcot-test-track-closes-20120410,0,6501871.story

Sunday, April 15, is the final day to ride Test Track at Epcot before it shifts into renovation mode.

The high-speed attraction, which has been in the Disney World theme park's Future World area since 1999, will be closed for several months for a makeover. Walt Disney Imagineering and sponsor GM are planning a "re-imagined design-centric Test Track experience," Disney says.

Details about the changes are sparse so far. In the initial announcement in January, Disney said the "Chevrolet Design Center" will enable guests to design custom concept cars and board a "SimCar" to put their designs through the paces of the Test Track track.

The ride itself will remain a ride, not a virtual experience or simulator, according to the Disney Parks Blog. Test Track's story has involved putting cars through weather and braking trials, plus a rapid dash through curves outside the building.

When the attraction reopens — at an unspecified date this fall — it will have a new emphasis on the Chevrolet brand, rather than an overall GM theme, and it will be known as Test Track Presented by Chevrolet.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:33 pm

The new wine bar sounds great. Epcot has the best food offerings of any park, and this is only going to make them better.

Postby thrillrider » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 am

I agree about toe food. Actually, epcot is by far my favorite park.

One thing that bums me out is that they are shutting test track down during one oft he busiest time of year.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:37 am

^ There is no down time anymore. They'd have it closed for the summer season, or the holiday breaks.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 am

^Yeah, that's the thing. WDW doesn't really have an "off season." I remember when Disneyland used to shut down two days each week from January through March--it gave them a chance to do a lot of work without having to worry about guests.

But those days are long gone.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby BBparks57 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 am

The wine bar sounds awesome. I am also excited to see what happens with Test track, the whole design floor concept sounds awesome. It is unfortunate when the rides go down for Summer, but like stated above....not really any down time aside from a few random weeks out of the year. It's like when Space Mountain went down through the majority of the spring and summer, and my CP.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:12 pm

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/attractions/test-track/

Pardon our dust. This attraction is temporarily closed for refurbishment and scheduled to reopen in fall 2012.

We're gearing up for an exciting re-imagined Test Track! When complete, you can design your own custom concept vehicle, then buckle up and put your design through its paces on the exhilarating hills and switchbacks of the Test Track circuit.
Screen Shot 2012-04-16 at 8.33.01 PM.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:14 pm

On April 15th, 2012 at 9:00 pm Test Track closed its doors for the final time to make way for a major overhaul of the popular attraction at Epcot. I was fortunate enough to be there for the attraction's last run, riding in one of the last cars that sent guests around the Track that night. And of course, I took plenty of photos (and video) to document it.

The video should be ready soon, but in meantime, here are some photos from the attraction's last few hours of operation, including what the closure of the attraction looked like from inside of the queue.
DSC01321.JPG
It's time to see this area open as-is one last time...
DSC01323.JPG
No more than a few days later was this sign removed from the entrance of the attraction.
DSC01324.JPG
The Test Track Pizza truck has been removed from the side area near the Cool Wash.
DSC01413.JPG
No word on if the Cool Wash will stay, be rethemed or removed altogether.
DSC01415.JPG
I'm guessing that if the Cool Wash is kept, it will at least receive a new color scheme to match the new ride.
DSC01417.JPG
It seems the last of the Fastpass were distributed for the night.
DSC01418.JPG
Guess I'm lucky to have gotten one!
DSC01419.JPG
This logo is definitely retired...
DSC01421.JPG
Cast members were offered a reception in the GM Corporate Lounge to commemorate the closure of Test Track. As such, the lights upstairs lit up the whole floor more than normal.
DSC01422.JPG
Say goodbye to the Test Track dummies!
DSC01424.JPG
One more for Larry!
DSC01429.JPG
Though Test Track didn't open in 1997, it was supposed to.
DSC01434.JPG
The Knee Calibration test in motion...
DSC01439.JPG
New Hotness!

Another newly skinned car was on the track for the last day of operation. This one was just the solid blue color found on the other cars, just without any of the futuristic white streaks.
DSC01442.JPG
Old and busted hotness?
DSC01445.JPG
One more time!
DSC01448.JPG
DSC01449.JPG
DSC01454.JPG
So familiar... I wonder if we'll have something similar in the new version of the attraction.
DSC01455.JPG
DSC01459.JPG
Sadly, we never got it up to 88 mph.
DSC01471.JPG
The Photopass location at the exit of the ride had already been shut down for good...
DSC01472.JPG
DSC01473.JPG
I took the time to explore the GM Assembly Experience for a few minutes (since I never really had before) and found this TV screen showing off a POV of the attraction, presumably there for guests that were not able to ride the attraction themselves.
DSC01474.JPG
There were some neat displays in the GM Assembly Experience.
DSC01475.JPG
Can't hurt to look for hidden details before they're removed, right?
DSC01476.JPG
The assembly line video in the background had been out for a while, so it was no surprise to see it down for the last night.
DSC01478.JPG
I found something!
DSC01479.JPG
Reminds me of the old Star Tours Droid Room.
DSC01483.JPG
The future of Test Track rides with Chevrolet.
DSC01486.JPG
Inside Track won't likely return with the revamped attraction.
DSC01494.JPG
Woosh!
DSC01503.JPG
Time for one more ride--the last one ever!
DSC01505.JPG
Test Track had some neat nighttime lighting.
DSC01507.JPG
DSC01510.JPG
Another look at the GM VIP Lounge lit up at night.
DSC01532.JPG
In case you forgot what we were focusing on tonight...
DSC01533.JPG
Time to shut the doors one last time!
DSC01534.JPG
And we're...
DSC01535.JPG
Closed!
DSC01536.JPG
One last look at the "Early Test Vehicle" retained from World of Motion.
DSC01537.JPG
I never really stopped to look at all of the different "tests" in the queue.
DSC01538.JPG
DSC01539.JPG
That is, until now.
DSC01540.JPG
DSC01541.JPG
I honestly think I spent most of my time queuing for Test Track in the Single Riders or Fastpass lines.
DSC01542.JPG
DSC01544.JPG
A neat little detail I never noticed before...
DSC01545.JPG
DSC01548.JPG
DSC01549.JPG
DSC01550.JPG
It always amazed me how many moving demos they had set up in the queue.
DSC01555.JPG
Just about empty.
DSC01556.JPG
Never noticed him before either.
DSC01557.JPG
DSC01558.JPG
I had Larry on the brain.
DSC01560.JPG
DSC01562.JPG
That's it folks. The queue is officially emptied... Time to ride one last time (and take video)!
DSC01565.JPG
Inside Track is also likely to not return with the new attraction.
DSC01571.JPG
By the time we got off of the ride, the outdoor queues had already been removed.
DSC01572.JPG
Farewell Test Track! We look forward to seeing your new model next Fall!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!