Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby PhantomNick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:50 am

The fine folks over at Kennywood Connection have posted an album with some great off-season pictures from a recent visit to the park, including quite a few showing off Black Widow's construction progress! Also included are a few pics showing off some general park improvements.

Check them out here - Kennywood 2012 Off-season/Black Widow construction pics

Teaser pic (courtesy of Kennywood Connection) -

KW_BlkWid_Footer.jpg
We have feet!

Giant frisbees are my favorite flat ride, so I'm really looking forward to Black Widow, especially considering the rave reviews the Giant Discovery models have gotten on here! The new pavers look really sharp as well.
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Not really Kennywood, but close enough

OPENING SUMMER 2012 - Dragon's Den

Sandcastle's newest, breathtaking answer to those on a quest for maximum thrills. You'll catapult through mysterious darkness and then plummet into the mist-shrouded abyss of the dragon…only to vanish from sight! You won't believe it until you encounter it face to face.

Looks like a ProSlide Bullet Bowl for Sandcastle

http://www.sandcastlewaterpark.com/site/attractions.html

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby DLDude » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Hey all! Dan from CoasterDynamix here. We've finished a really cool TumbleBug model that I think you all will get a kick out of. Here's a picture:

More pictures here:
TumbleBug Progress Page

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby TDB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Kennywood's OPEN!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:55 pm

^^Love the Tumblebug model!

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Tumblebug--a flat ride even I enjoy!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 pm

PennStater wrote:New for 2012.... Black Widow, a Zamperla Giant Discovery (as expected by many)!

This (or one of the HUSS/Mondial/Intamin variations) is the closest thing to a consolation prize as could be for losing Pitfall.
Been you to have any spike, man?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Beer may be coming to Kennywood in June

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/kennywood-gets-closer-selling-beer-park/nMXy8/

Kennywood closer to selling beer at park
reported by WPXI
PITTSBURGH — Beer is one step closer to being sold at the popular Pittsburgh amusement park Kennywood

Following a public hearing Wednesday, West Mifflin council approved a liquor license transfer for the park's owner, Festival Fun Park LLC, whose parent company is based in Madrid, Spain, to the amusement park from a closed McKeesport restaurant property the company owns.

If the license transfer gets approval from the state Liquor Control Board, beer would be sold in a designated location in the park, starting in late June, Kennywood spokesman Jeff Filicko said.

In a statement, Filicko said, "Our plans to establish a beer garden will be done in a responsible manner that will maintain our family-friendly atmosphere. Kennywood would be just one of many family-friendly venues that cater to children and families while offering beer to responsible adults. We plan to offer the sale and consumption of beer in one specific area to ensure a controlled and family-friendly environment. As always, the safety of our guests and team members will be our main priority."

The park sold beer for the first time in October during two weekends of Oktoberfest-themed events, using a catering event permit from Sandcastle Water Park in West Homestead, which Festival Fun also owns.

Following positive responses from guests at those events and increased requests over the years, Kennywood decided to sell beer regularly, Filicko said.

Beer would be sold through the summer season, which ends in September, he said. Sales would also be designated to a gated area.

“Families aren’t going to see people roaming around the park,” Filicko said. “Drinking beer will be confined in a small area. We’re not going to change the family-friendly atmosphere.”

The announcement has been met by mixed emotions by Pittsburghers.

Cindy Zwolenik said, “It’s a bad idea. Kennywood is for kids, not drunk people. It will be abused.”
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Blue Manta » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 pm

I'm not from West Mifflin, but I think that this beer thing is not a good idea to have in a family amusement park where children are present...

Kennywood is a park where we Americans have fun, not to get drunk...

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Speaking as someone that worked in a park where alcohol was sold for several years....people don't get drunk in amusement parks. Sure there will be an OCCASIONAL one or two, but 99.9% of people that buy beer in a theme park are only buying one or two to enjoy during a downtime between rides. In eight years I had to call security ONE time because of a drunk guest causing a disturbance.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!