TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

I think the point is that Disney lacks the Dick Kinzel self proclaimed attitude of they are stuck here and have to eat here. Then on top of that not even serving quality food. Disney on the other hand offers good quality at a decent price, even if they know the guests would pay more. This is regardless of where their main profit comes.

^ That's my main argument. Really terrible food, terriby over priced. Whereas Disney's food (even the worst counter service stuff) is still pretty good, and afforadable.

Quite honestly, I think if SF or CF raised their ticket prices, they'd still charge what they are now for food.

^Kings Dominion is offering a "dining plan" now. If it gets you food at any restaurant outside the park, I'd probably buy it.

I agree that Disney offers better-than-average theme-park food (and some damn good restaurants at the parks other than the Magic Kingdom) for a decent price compared to CF and SF.

Another thing to take into consideration is that most SF and CF parks are seasonal. Year-round operations *might* allow them to change food pricing structures? Although I'm with you Matt....somehow I'm still not convinced that would happen.

^ But they're brutally priced at SFMM. I know even as a high schooler going to SFGAm on my Season Pass (which cost me $36!), we'd leave and walk over to Burger King (which was the only eatery close back then), just to save some cash, and avoid bad food.

It's a fact. Cedar Fair and Six Flags are gougers. Upcharge attractions, high prices for low quality food, pay to cut line systems. Disney puts 100 times more into the guest experience than those parks do. CF and SF are designed for people that don't want to travel to a quality park.

What I'm saying is if Disney dropped their admission prices the $40-$50 a day they would not be able to sell food at these prices. Conversely, if SF and CF bumped up their admission prices by $20-$30 and still attracted the same volume of crowds, they could lower their food/drink prices.

What I'm saying is that Disney could actually keep their admission prices the exact same, and bump up the food prices to ridiculous amounts, and nobody could do anything about it -- but Disney don't. That's my point. Regardless of what you pay to get into the park, Disney could charge whatever they wanted once you're in, but they keep it decently priced. And it's just nice when you're in the most popular theme park in the world and you expect to be gouged for food in the park, but you look up at the prices and see that you can spend less than $10 on a beverage and a snack.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/breaking-historic-orange-bird-returns-to-adventureland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Well, isn’t this a surprise?

Early this morning, D23 representatives announced the return of the historic Orange Bird character live in Adventureland before a small group of D23 members.

In case you aren’t familiar, Orange Bird was a character who was developed specifically for Magic Kingdom Park in the 1970s. This cheerful bird originally greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland, where guests could also enjoy citrus drinks and buy Orange Bird gifts. At one time, the character even had his own record, which was released in 1971 to feature “The Orange Bird Song” – a tune penned by the Sherman Brothers (composers of the songs in “Mary Poppins” and “The Jungle Book”).

Beginning today, Orange Bird will return to Sunshine Tree Terrace signage and quirky drink cups, and a new line of Orange Bird merchandise has already appeared on the shelves! Also, an Orange Bird statue that was on display at Sunshine Tree Terrace in the 1970s was retrieved from the WDI Sculpture Studio in California, and is now on display.

We’ll have photos to share from the announcement shortly, but in the meantime, here’s a brand-new desktop wallpaper by Jason “Tiki” Tackett for you to enjoy!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/happy-little-orange-bird-lands-on-new-merchandise-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

I recall the day Disney artist Casey Jones asked if he could show me something cool. Knowing Casey’s involvement with other cool things (I’m looking at you, Dole Whip shirt), I immediately made time for him. When Casey arrived with concept art for new Orange Bird merchandise, I almost burst into song! He said these new items were being developed because the Orange Bird was returning to the Sunshine Tree Terrace at Magic Kingdom Park. We discussed how “The Florida Project” event last September served as inspiration for new merchandise.

“The Orange Bird played a key part of ‘The Florida Project,’ since the event was a salute to the 40th Anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort,” explained Casey. “We created Orange Bird pins and Vinylmation, and featured him in the event décor. At that time, we were unaware that Walt Disney Imagineering had plans of bringing the Orange Bird back to Walt Disney World Resort the following spring! We eventually worked with Imagineering to brainstorm new merchandise to commemorate his return!”

Casey explained that partnerships with Walt Disney Imagineer Jason Grandt and Steven Vagnini from the Walt Disney Archives were instrumental in creating these new items. “Jason and Steven were outstanding partners,” continued Casey. “Jason actually provided the artwork for the two tee-shirts and a deluxe print, and Steven provided a tremendous amount of reference material about the Orange Bird when we visited him in California.”

The deluxe print Casey mentions is one of my favorite items. Jason combined the original concept artwork for the Sunshine Pavilion that was created by Richard Hebner in 1969 with original Orange Bird art he created for Walt Disney World Resort’s newest attraction poster!

Casey also developed his very first ear hat, which is arriving this summer. It reminds me of the Figment ear hat we released last fall.

Jason shared his thoughts around the new Orange Bird merchandise. “We wanted to add an extra layer of magic for guests visiting the Sunshine Tree Terrace,” said Jason. “With the new merchandise, guests can now see the Orange Bird and take home a little memory of their visit.”

With all this talk of the Orange Bird, I’m craving a citrus swirl! Who wants to join me?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/citrus-swirl-is-back-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

With this week’s happy announcement of the return of the Orange Bird to the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Magic Kingdom Park, the original Citrus Swirl makes its official comeback too. Gone for more than a quarter of a century, it’s nice to have them back where they belong for the 40th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World Resort.

Who remembers that icy swirl of frozen orange and soft-serve vanilla ice cream, a duo of delish in the heat of summertime? There was a knock-off for a while at Aloha Isle, but this swirl is the original recipe, a sweet-tart tower in a cone or cup ($3.19 and on the Disney Dining Plan).

And check out the adorable orange bird sipper cup – for kids of all ages. Oh, Orange Bird and Citrus Swirl, welcome home!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/time-lapse-video-new-fantasyland-springs-to-life/

Who’s up for a fun look at the New Fantasyland expansion?

Walt Disney Imagineering just shared an updated time-lapse video with us that offers a bird’s-eye view of how this area is shaping up. See for yourself!

For reference, the area on the left will be Enchanted Tales With Belle, Beast Castle (which will contain the Be Our Guest Restaurant), and Gaston’s Tavern. The buildings and rockwork on the right side will house the Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid attraction.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/mystery-photo-minotaurs-added-to-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

So many of you enjoyed last week’s New Fantasyland time-lapse video that Walt Disney Imagineering just sent this photo over to share with all of you.

This minotaur, a mythological figure that is a combination man and bull, was recently installed at one of the areas under construction in New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park. The larger-than-life sculpture is one of two that will appear in this area.

Any guesses which area or attraction it will highlight? Leave your guesses below – the answer will be posted later today!

UPDATE: Those of you who answered “Be Our Guest Restaurant” were correct! Two of these sculptures will welcome guests at the front entrance of the restaurant. Their design was inspired by animated footage from the “Beauty and The Beast” film, specifically the scene in which Belle enters the castle for the first time.

Tackett_OrangeBird_1024x768.thumb.jpg.98b584cc2730d70d28e87be543653958.jpg

rng112389LARGE.jpg.df23b02970aad7c840f5254faa9d064e.jpg

rng332389LARGE.jpg.d01d4e8915f2722ef8071b8098fc6418.jpg

rng222389LARGE.thumb.jpg.08825cc20455041a3cd338be3ac8bd4c.jpg

rng442389LARGE.thumb.jpg.5f608e0b036bbdbc02047c18a844fbd9.jpg

rng552389LARGE.jpg.e3cebcfd4d8d523ef9bb8fc079174e70.jpg

rng662389LARGE.jpg.731072ef8d8f0a9b02ac915c9c96d682.jpg

rng772389LARGE.jpg.04b06fc332e6c1e4be550b86a7823b29.jpg

rng882389LARGE.thumb.jpg.52dc1b05e709854c461dad3d2d267bdf.jpg

obm289352SMALL.thumb.jpg.03b6505c5d12f50e2e62c778c826ddea.jpg

obm498230LARGE.jpg.5b8947f6b7d3fb8f9a8da0e4c4dd12de.jpg

obm523054LARGE.jpg.53c527a8837a2c5dd352c3b2ae631810.jpg

obm792034LARGE.jpg.779dc79c019d6aa900d6cca47d21793f.jpg

csb683509LARGE.thumb.jpg.f631b525f55f145ea8607f1ddb4926df.jpg

csb389405LARGE.thumb.jpg.a2c8c9fb5704346712c76af4f0259d8f.jpg

mnf923500SMALL.thumb.jpg.e8ee744c98c2ca53a58139a94cbdfe4f.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Who remembers that icy swirl of frozen orange and soft-serve vanilla ice cream, a duo of delish in the heat of summertime? There was a knock-off for a while at Aloha Isle, but this swirl is the original recipe, a sweet-tart tower in a cone or cup ($3.19 and on the Disney Dining Plan).

I do! And it's so nice to see that, and Orange Bird back!

Thanks for the update, Adam.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/starbucks-coming-to-disney-parks/

Today, we’re excited to officially announce plans to bring your favorite Starbucks drinks and food items to all of our theme parks at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.

In June, the first of six planned Starbucks locations is scheduled to open at Disney California Adventure park. And more locations are planned at Disneyland park and Walt Disney World Resort (Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom).

The Starbucks locations inside our parks will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Disney California Adventure park, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles, when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire.

The café will serve Starbucks items, including coffee and espresso beverages, Frappuccino® blended beverages, and signature breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Guests also will have their choice of Disney favorites, including signature sandwiches and other items, as well as delicious desserts and sweet treats.

Let us know what you’ll be ordering in the comments.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/american-institute-of-architects-honors-cinderella-castle-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Cinderella Castle just keeps racking up the honors.

This month, the Walt Disney World Resort landmark icon was named one of the Top 100 Buildings in Florida by The Florida Association of the American Institute of Architects (AIA Florida) as a part of their “Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places.” celebration for the organization’s 100-year anniversary. Cinderella Castle was also named Top Building in the Recreational Architecture category.

AIA Florida is an association of architects with a mission to unite, educate and position architects to lead the shaping of Florida’s future. The members of AIA Florida are leaders in their communities and passionate about good design; the health, safety and welfare of others; and preserving architecture through sustainable practice.

AIA Florida Immediate Past President and former Imagineer Michael Lingerfelt, FAIA, LEED AP, presented the award to Magic Kingdom Park General Manager Phil Holmes on Wednesday, April 18. It was a homecoming of sorts for Lingerfelt, whose 15-year tenure with WDI included working on Magic Kingdom Park projects such as New Tomorrowland, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Mickey’s PhilharMagic.

In March, AIA Florida launched the Top 100 Buildings statewide online competition, inviting the public to vote for their favorite Florida building. More than two and a half million votes were cast, both by architects in the association and the general public. This year marks the 100th anniversary of AIA Florida, recognizing the important contributions architects have made in the Sunshine State. The awards are just one of the events the association has planned throughout the year to celebrate its anniversary, which is Dec. 14.

aia553561LARGE.thumb.jpg.07657360e324b82bdc3fed8f439a692a.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/starbucks-coming-to-disney-parks/

Today, we’re excited to officially announce plans to bring your favorite Starbucks drinks and food items to all of our theme parks at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort.

In June, the first of six planned Starbucks locations is scheduled to open at Disney California Adventure park. And more locations are planned at Disneyland park and Walt Disney World Resort (Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom).

The Starbucks locations inside our parks will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Disney California Adventure park, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles, when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire.

The café will serve Starbucks items, including coffee and espresso beverages, Frappuccino® blended beverages, and signature breakfast sandwiches and pastries. Guests also will have their choice of Disney favorites, including signature sandwiches and other items, as well as delicious desserts and sweet treats.

Let us know what you’ll be ordering in the comments.

It's just sad they couldn't get Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf instead.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/the-magic-the-memories-and-you-summer-show-begins-may-25-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Earlier this year, my fellow Disney Parks Blog author, Shawn Slater hinted that changes were coming to “The Magic, The Memories, and You!” nighttime show at Magic Kingdom Park. Today, we’re happy to announce that the summer version of this show will begin May 25.

Here’s a sneak peek at one new scene that will appear in the show, in which Cinderella Castle turns into a giant sandcastle.

cas118942LARGE.jpg.71f615bfe69ced1a8b354144a745c040.jpg

Last Monday I had the opportunity to attend a special D23 event for a very small group of people (65 to be exact) celebrating the re-opening of the Sunshine Tree Terrace at the Magic Kingdom. Mind you, we did not yet know officially about (though most of us were prepared for) the unveiling of the return of the Orange Bird, but we were happy to attend.

DSC01584.JPG.2cd3e29f99770f4f21dc7734e28dd554.JPG

Disney Archivist Steven Vagnini led the morning's ceremonies and hyped up the crowd while we waited to enter Adventureland. From there we were told to keep our eyes and ears open for a few surprises...

DSC01587.JPG.1e294fe686784d2edee4c7c390e0ea88.JPG

Along the way, a few members of the group caught a look at these beauties!

DSC01588.JPG.3620bc7b9981300d805ab48d3ce063a8.JPG

I'm glad I bought mine when I did, because the inventory was sold out by the next day.

DSC01592.JPG.abcd1ccf0fdaa24eaf80d0e3abbcf14b.JPG

A stage was set up in front of the recently-unveiled Sunshine Tree Terrace.

DSC01593.JPG.728c88e764fc8c04b40c835a7518ca74.JPG

The torches are finally back at the Sunshine Tree Terrace and they actually have fire!

DSC01596.JPG.531d941ecd1a8343021a36423ec9f24a.JPG

Jason Grandt of Walt Disney Imagineering was the main pusher behind the return of the Orange Bird.

DSC01597.JPG.01bce9cee5afd47e0cc23e18032f2ddb.JPG

Vintage sippy cups!

DSC01598.JPG.c77fd11abf8b77f80dfb4f45517be8e8.JPG

Believe it or not, this is the original Orange Bird figurine that swung from a branch inside of the Sunshine Tree Terrace back in 1971. The figure was found in the Walt Disney Archives and after being fully restored, is now featured here once again.

DSC01600.JPG.a283425c4aef0d5808df294afc3b1b03.JPG

If you've ever had the chance to hear Jason talk about it (or follow him on Twitter), you'll know Jason is passionate about the Orange Bird (along with lots of other Disney history).

DSC01605.JPG.3b6a19ff8cf1571bec391900fdf5eb9c.JPG

Time for some Orange Bird trivia!

DSC01607.JPG.3e99807d1024b18452769f82730478ac.JPG

I won a vintage Orange Bird whistle for answering the question, "Why is the idea of an Orange Bird whistle ironic?" It is ironic because the Orange Bird can't speak--all the thoughts he ever spoke appear in orange smoke, and that's what makes the Orange Bird unique.

DSC01613.JPG.e71c5c135950a1e8b1f6d3906fbc6d1d.JPG

Disney Artist Casey Jones was on hand to help show off the new Orange Bird poster print as well as other new Orange Bird merchandise.

DSC01616.JPG.0283659412389825e206e128d327f26a.JPG

DSC01617.JPG.230b451c1115a5d9c971d43a58c4dd8c.JPG

DSC01619.JPG.111f590d39085dd51b537acdd6a684b0.JPG

Monty from merchandising had plenty to say about the new items as well.

DSC01622.JPG.7992e653df13b0d0028ca65a086c48cb.JPG

Several new Orange Bird pins are on the way...

DSC01624.JPG.5266de273aac8b6be09f6d50427741a9.JPG

As well as a new Orange Bird ear hat!

DSC01630.JPG.6dbf05e128b81c9e27b1259111b765ed.JPG

After the presentation, we were given samples of the newly revived Citrus Swirl that can now be purchased at the Sunshine Tree Terrace.

DSC01632.JPG.dc67d99022b5d7321e0168c248832500.JPG

It was a little early for ice cream (and as you can tell I was a little tired) but the Citrus Swirl was pretty awesome. It's kind of like a mix between vanilla ice cream and pure frozen citrus--they don't taste amazing on their own, but mixed together they are pretty great. Definitely a lighter-tasting alternative to the Dole Whip (which I love).

DSC01633.JPG.795ea393f4ee7aa04d7317299e181499.JPG

Since it was the morning, D23 kept in theme by providing us with some fresh Florida oranges.

DSC01635.JPG.2fd5651f29eec5e7ae3f61746de14c2a.JPG

After many years the Orange Bird is back home.

DSC01637.JPG.fc6889f12c0be087a10743c89380fa60.JPG

Just another awesome layer of detail for guests to see!

DSC01641.JPG.06f45ce65b12ac244ee6d41496031a42.JPG

The Orange Bird sippy cups are found everywhere in the Sunshine Tree Terrace.

DSC01644.JPG.c4822474f9498ae34f8bdce4a947be8c.JPG

Following in recent WDI tradition, there's a ton of little tributes in this label. Loranges (Horizons) is my favorite, but I'll let you pick out the rest.

DSC01645.JPG.614c0ed8fc662f14d31a7b79b0d8aca5.JPG

Very cool!

DSC01646.JPG.8744c64b4404349562ecccdc7d9ee77e.JPG

Back to the merchandise!

DSC01649.JPG.f562e4e083067e686a84b2000f6dcad7.JPG

DSC01650.JPG.17a82783d38d78e86b8b9455402272a1.JPG

I love that logo on the back!

DSC01653.JPG.0f6aad7c729c7fb55617c18cac7c5f5c.JPG

DSC01654.JPG.19ef2d809303d3cfdb72f6cf4748198d.JPG

A Sunshine Tree Terrace exclusive menu item!

DSC01655.JPG.21699bb7d02bfcaaedd4371cf6e23626.JPG

DSC01659.JPG.6f023f7bacaa14dcbd1b1fc9d781d3fa.JPG

Fire!

DSC01660.JPG.4436cb283320c05f2a41812d83693561.JPG

Hey, I'm a Disney dork and I know it. At least I can enjoy it.

DSC01665.JPG.a876e011930393f4c17628ffec709519.JPG

The Sunshine Tree Terrace even has a poster under the entryways of the Train Station.

So is that their "Harry Potter" killer?

Orange Bird is merely the latest reincarnation of Voldemort.

It's good to see WDW focusing on the little touches--they really add to the atmosphere of the Disney parks.