TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

I'm liking the looks of Verbolten, I really like to see some testing footage of the ride does anyone know when this will begin?

I'm also from united kingdom, and we have a very similar attraction called TH13TEEN, But this coaster seem to be a much better version. I hate when people discuss about how Busch Garden copied the whole 13 idea with the drop section. It muddled with my mind quite a bit when I heard on the video about it's the "First of it's kind, They had to come up with name for it because it hasn't been done before". That exact saying confused me a little however, I can't wait to try the ride out for myself.

One more thing before i finish here. - When Does Verbolten Officially open to public?

^A huge grain of salt--BGW rarely "soft opens" a ride. These rumors pop up whenever the park is building a new attraction.

Definitely on the "believe it when I see it" list--but I may be surprised yet.

I'm liking the looks of Verbolten, I really like to see some testing footage of the ride does anyone know when this will begin?

I'm also from united kingdom, and we have a very similar attraction called TH13TEEN, But this coaster seem to be a much better version. I hate when people discuss about how Busch Garden copied the whole 13 idea with the drop section. It muddled with my mind quite a bit when I heard on the video about it's the "First of it's kind, They had to come up with name for it because it hasn't been done before". That exact saying confused me a little however, I can't wait to try the ride out for myself.

The park has been testing the ride, but hasn't posted any video of it as far as I know. When talking about the ride, BGW usually refers to Verbolten as the "first of its kind in the U.S." (or something along those lines).

Edited by cfc

One more thing before i finish here. - When Does Verbolten Officially open to public?

Some testing has already begun, at the Hardhat tour they mentioned that the train had already made the circuit and they were fine tuning the drop track. I'm pretty sure they're doing the bulk of the testing, if not all during the week when the park is closed to the public. The drop section is the first of it's kind in the states, but not the first of it's kind worldwide. It opens on May 18th.

It muddled with my mind quite a bit when I heard on the video about it's the "First of it's kind, They had to come up with name for it because it hasn't been done before".

Zierer has never done this type of ride before, making it a "world first" unless Legoland Germany's Polar Coaster opens up first.

^A huge grain of salt--BGW rarely "soft opens" a ride. These rumors pop up whenever the park is building a new attraction.

Mach was soft opened last year, but then again that ride experienced a pretty long delay beforehand. The park may follow up with V-bolt, but we should just wait and see.

^I don't think of the Mach Tower situation as a "soft opening." It was more like the park finally decided "OK, this thing is finally ready--everybody get on!"

I'm not saying that a soft opening for Verbolten is impossible--only that I'll believe it when I see it.

Soft-openings usually only happen at the Florida parks correct? (Universal, Disney, BGT) I can't remember if Cheetah Hunt had a soft-opening or not.

I agree with Chuck about Mach Tower. It was delayed so much that the park just decided to open it without any fanfare.

Edited by ernierocker

One thing I forgot to mention--they were letting guests shamble through the DarKastle "preshow" room, again. I'm not sure why, but they had temporary-looking stanchions and ropes in there, too.

Does anyone have a realistic idea of what the crowds will be like on the 18th? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to take the day off work to ride Verbolten on opening day. It seems like the crowd might be lighter than it would on that Saturday or Sunday since it's a work day for many, but then again, it's a big ride premiere and others might have the same idea.

When BGW opened DarKastle, I waited about 3.5 hours (huge crowd plus technical problems with the ride), and by the time I exited, the line stretched all the way to Alpengeist. I think this was on a Sunday. I'd anticipate a pretty hefty lines for Verbolten on opening day and for that weekend.

There is a Quick Queue option that will allow one ride per day on Verbolten this season, but I have no idea if this will apply to opening day.

While we're on the topic of crowds, how have they been these past few spring weekends? We'll be down there this Saturday, and I'm pretty much expecting them to be moderate or so? We were there last year around this time, but it was 45* and foggy out so the park was empty - this Saturday is supposed to be 77* and sunny, so I'm expecting a little more, just hopefully not anything crazy since it's still spring!

^Today was a crowded day for BGW. The first hour of the park being open was not bad at all! Everything was pretty much a walk on as usual. But then, crowds REALLY started to pick up! So much that they had to use their overflow parking. My guess is that much of the area is on spring break. I am also planning on returning Saturday and am hoping the crowds are more manageable.

@Chuck- I have also wondered about the DarKastle pre-show. I have been about 5 times since pass holder day, and so far, that was the only day they did the full pre-show. But I am glad the fireplace scene is working again!

^I remember visiting the park on a slow day a year or two back with someone who'd never ridden DarKastle. So, we decided to let people pass us in line while we watched the preshow video. A CM actually used the PA system to tell up to keep moving, which I found to be a bit bizarre.

Edited by cfc

Got back from the park today... A few things.

- V-bolt theming is underway. Little details are being placed throughout the ride. Floating tunnel (into the building) is still there though. I really hope the park fixes that, although gut feeling tells me the building won't be painted and the floating tunnel will remain a floating tunnel.

- Park is pretty busy today. I expect tomorrow to be slammed with vacationers and season passholders since it's supposed to be warm.

- I applied for V-bolt opening crew. Wish me luck.

Quick edit: I sat in the test seat. It was more comfy than Mach, but not as comfy as the B&M's. The middle "bump" that juts out goes halfway down the seat is pointed, making it feel a bit odd. I probably wouldn't recommend slamming your butt into the seat.