Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Word on the street is that vertical construction has begun. If anyone is going anytime soon we'd all love some photos. Still trying to piece together even the general layout of this coaster.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Shavethewhales wrote: With this it's simply rich people paying double the ticket price to inconvenience everyone else. Defend it how you want, it's still a middle finger to everyone who doesn't pony up the extra dough, and there aren't many places outside of parks where people would stand for it.

Rich people? I know plenty of people that are not rich that cut corners in other ways to enjoy items like front of line passes. It's all a matter of prioritization, a concept many don't seem to understand. Or locals simply need to go to the park when it's not crowded to manage the day without the upcharge. I had the misfortune of going to SDC two years ago on one of those discount days and the park ran out of Trailblazer passes. I was on a tight schedule and could only spend 6 hours in the park and barely got on all the coasters (and a few other rides). I gladly would have paid more for the privilege of taking the park at a more relaxed pace. I also would also had time to enjoy a meal at the park, but couldn't on my schedule.

There aren't many other places outside of parks where people put up with this? How about airplanes, hotels, sporting events, concerts just to name a few places?
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:36 am

^Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree on some aspects as usual. ;)

In other news, the first photo of vertical construction has surfaced thanks to user 'Wildfire' on sdcfans:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76980618@N02/7056530415/in/photostream

It's going to fly up there now. Hell, they might have this thing done before SF gets some of their coasters open for this year.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby oriolat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:55 am

Nice to see something new being built at SDC. Perhaps this has been stated in previous pages but do we know the manufacturer of this roller coaster? I remember reading rumours about this coaster being built by the same manufacturer that worked on NTAG.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Yeti » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:23 pm

I AM *************** EXCITED.

oriolat wrote:Nice to see something new being built at SDC. Perhaps this has been stated in previous pages but do we know the manufacturer of this roller coaster? I remember reading rumours about this coaster being built by the same manufacturer that worked on NTAG.

I'm pretty sure it is being built by them, and I will bet you a dollar, if it is by RMC, that it will have a loop. I don't know it for a fact, but if RMC has it ready I could see SDC being a sucker for having a looping woodie.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby TXman308 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:36 pm

The Yeti wrote:I AM *************** EXCITED.

oriolat wrote:Nice to see something new being built at SDC. Perhaps this has been stated in previous pages but do we know the manufacturer of this roller coaster? I remember reading rumours about this coaster being built by the same manufacturer that worked on NTAG.

I'm pretty sure it is being built by them, and I will bet you a dollar, if it is by RMC, that it will have a loop. I don't know it for a fact, but if RMC has it ready I could see SDC being a sucker for having a looping woodie.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but RMC doesn't build wooden roller coasters (unless I'm completely missing something here). :lol:

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby jmicha » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:43 pm

^Their topper track coasters are still wooden. It's layers of wood on top of metal which is what allows it to have its maintenance/ride advantages.

I am curious to see how their first custom coaster goes. If it's successful I could see this taking off far more easily than the NTAG style treatment.

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:21 pm

The Yeti wrote:I AM *************** EXCITED.

It's definitely worth speculating about. SDC has a history of going after innovative rides. A lot of their rides are/have been custom made, and several of their custom coasters such as PK, Buzzsaw Falls, and ThuNderaTion have pushed limits in some way.

I mean, they don't go Cedar Point crazy or anything trying to break records, but if there's the option of doing something a bit unique, they always spring for it. However, adding a loop to a coaster seems to cut the market that it appeals to, hence why the first thing most people seem to ask about a coaster is "does it have loops?" It might be worth it from the marketing standpoint though... but this is only a Topper Track coaster, I'm not sure if this was the type that was capable of loops.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Now this is a project to follow! The (current) secrecy surrounding it is kinda refreshing, even if it's just because it wouldn't make great business sense to announce it now. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

My brain is often hibernating.

Postby -Edge of Beast- » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:34 pm

That went up REALLY fast. Man, Rocky Mountain works quickly. Heck, I was at the park a couple weeks ago while attending opening day and they barely had any footers poured.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!