TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

^ So you're saying we need a giant mongoose wrap on another train, and have them on the express and resort beamways? Works for me.

That is an awesome idea.

I've always thought if there was ever a Namco tie in (Which of course would never happen) one monorail being Pacman and the others being Ghosts could be amusing, yeah I daydream too much at WDW...

So is the Avengers film being released by Disney?

Personally, I feel this is a bit too Six Flags for Disney. It worked for TRON, cause you could kinda see futuristic monorails in a TRON world, but the Avengers? As much as I am in anticipation of this film, and as top notch as I think Disney will do the wrap, it still reeks of the advert wraps that appear at much lesser parks.

I'm not digging it.

I guess I just don't like the idea of them mixing marvel in with Disney. It dosen't seem very "Disney" to me.

Your reaction is exactly the same as what most people said about mixing in Star Wars and Indiana Jones when those arrived at Disney parks in the late 80s/early 90s.

I have a feeling when Marvel gets more integrated into Disney parks, it will feel more natural.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/merida-from-brave-is-coming-to-disney-parks/

mcg398452.jpg.ac5e9e8994ea3357880161667e07dc02.jpg

In the upcoming Disney•Pixar movie “Brave,” Merida is a headstrong teenager with a vibrant spirit and a softness of heart, struggling to take control of her own destiny. You’ll be able to discover Merida’s story when “Brave” opens in theaters June 22 and, beginning in mid-May, Merida will be coming to Disney Parks in an all-new character greeting experience.

mcg982359SMALL.jpg.ab555768bed979a4c45a5f4e658d9851.jpg

At Magic Kingdom Park, Merida will appear in Fairytale Garden in a setting inspired by her Scottish Highlands home, where young guests will be invited to engage in archery lessons and other activities until it’s their turn to meet her. Joining Merida will be the three bear cubs from the film, who will no doubt be up to plenty of mischief.

To prepare for Merida’s arrival, Rapunzel will be moving from Fairytale Garden April 15, to a new spot at the outskirts of Adventureland where she will continue to greet her loyal fans and subjects.

When visiting Disneyland park in California this summer, Merida and the cubs will find a home away from home near “it’s a small world” in Fantasyland, where guests will also be able to participate in activities inspired by Merida’s story.

According to Creative Director Reed Jones, “These new play and greet experiences at both parks will immerse our guests in ‘Brave,’ giving them the opportunity to be a part of Merida’s Scottish clan. And we’re all excited to have the bear cubs join Merida with their silly antics, creating a whole new way to bring our beloved Disney Characters to life.”

“Regardless of where they find Merida,” said Reed, “Guests are really going to fall in love with her and the bears.”

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/03/the-adventurous-tale-of-the-great-goofini-at-magic-kingdom-park-2/

Earlier this month, we celebrated the “soft-open” of phase one of Storybook Circus, which included the debut of Dumbo the Flying Elephant and Barnstormer featuring the Great Goofini.

Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) has given Barnstormer an entirely new backstory, which can be seen in circus posters found throughout Storybook Circus.

Here’s the description, straight from WDI:

“The greatest show in the kingdom, The Storybook Circus, has just come to town and set up in beautiful Carolwood Park. There’s fun and pageantry to be had for everyone. But if it’s thrills you’re after, The Barnstormer featuring Goofy as the Great Goofini is one attraction you won’t want to miss!

“The circus’ fearless daredevil, the Great Goofini, has become the resident flying ace for his latest spectacular showcase of aerial acrobatics and bravery. It’s ‘plane’ crazy and sure to leave you breathless.

“And that’s just the beginning! The Great Goofini will stop at nothing to amuse and entertain his audience. The Canine Cannonball, the Reckless Rocketeer and Bear Wrasslin’ are just few of his notable feats of peril showcased in fully illustrated posters that line the circus walkways.

“So the next time you visit the Storybook Circus in search of some excitement, keep your eye out for the Great Goofini. You never know if he’ll be blasting, crashing, or soaring through the skies, but you know you’ll definitely have a good time watching!”

Hmm, there seem to be some hidden nods to Disney history here, both in the description and in the posters themselves. What hidden details can you find?

nfp058943LARGE.thumb.jpg.2250120db50b63e74d3a9c8d8f979b6a.jpg

nfp895233LARGE.thumb.jpg.48419ce12aa68c6a73c914c16b7a6ba3.jpg

nfp908345LARGE.thumb.jpg.561eb90dde6631fd9efd727cc3cd7115.jpg

nfp509823LARGE.thumb.jpg.4124a708a75ef176dbaba0e94cbfa481.jpg

nfp456658LARGE.thumb.jpg.3f366694298e099f6fe0530be2c54db9.jpg

nfp398051LARGE.thumb.jpg.c389d89849b72ca5a844e9c9b14318a9.jpg

nfp389054LARGE.thumb.jpg.5fede4a68b995397b4fa5a10f31162ad.jpg

The Orlando Sentinel has posted an interview with Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, in which he references some news on New Fantasyland.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-tom-staggs-fantasy-20120402,0,2212268.story

Back on dry land now, on the Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom, which he says is on schedule.

"Every time I go down there or spend time with the Imagineers, I get more excited about the project. Fantasyland is going to be more immersive than before; it's going to be more of a complete experience. I think it's going to be something that really delights our guests.

"We know this is a daunting challenge because Fantasyland is hugely popular. So reinventing Fantasyland, we have to take very seriously. I'm feeling very good about having preserved all that made Fantasyland so great and charming and also broadening and expanding it. So over the next couple of years you'll see it roll out a piece at a time."

On when "new" Fantasyland will be complete:

"There is one [final] element that will be in '14."

I'm confused? Why is it taking them another two years to open up this coaster? Have they just not started on it yet? Even with all the theming they'll put into it I really don't think it'd take that long.

Really? Look how long it took to build Transformers at USH. They began construction April of 2010 and just finished a few weeks ago...for a ride with a bare-bones and cut-dry building. For an attraction with lots of theming outside AND interior scenes planned for it, I'd say that's just enough time for such an attraction.

Are we sure that's in reference to snow white? I almost read it as an unannounced element.

After all steel is already going up for the mountain structure and they've been saying 2013... It doesn't seem like it has fallen behind schedule...

Larrygator is right, why so vague?

After all steel is already going up for the mountain structure and they've been saying 2013...

I haven't really been following the project, but did Disney ever put out a timeline or was 2013 an assumption made by someone.

I actually think it was an assumption. The best I've managed to find is a Disney park blog entry saying most elements will be ready 2013/phase two would likely be ready late 2013. Sounds like Disney isn't quite certain when it will be ready at this point.

I actually think it was an assumption. The best I've managed to find is a Disney park blog entry saying most elements will be ready 2013/phase two would likely be ready late 2013. Sounds like Disney isn't quite certain when it will be ready at this point.

I hear you. But who was writing the Disney park blog, Disney or a fan.

The issue nowadays with the internet is anybody can say whatever they want and if they sound authoritative someone is going to take it as fact and run with it. That's why at TPR we try to be dilligent about only reporting news if it comes directly from a company source. We'll post the facts as soon as we know they are facts or we'll caveat it as rumor/speculation.