Photo TR: Divv's Japanese Adventure

Final Part: FUJI Q!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Divv's Japanese Adventure

Postby x2isawesome » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:01 pm

I really hope there is going to be some sort of disney add on or something for the 2013 japan trip because after seeing yet another amazing looking series of pictures from disneysea, I feel my life is not complete unless I see if for myself.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:24 pm

^I find it unlikely that a TPR trip to Japan would not include an add-on option to Disney before of after the TPR trip. And if an official add-on is not offered, Elissa will help any participants with the logistics of doing it themselves.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:25 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

larrygator wrote:^I find it unlikely that a TPR trip to Japan would not include an add-on option to Disney before of after the TPR trip. And if an official add-on is not offered, Elissa will help any participants with the logistics of doing it themselves.

I second that. In fact, I would go so far as to say that any Japan trip w/o a Tokyo Disney option would probably never happen.

(I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.)

JJ

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby David H » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 pm

And those who've been there will know why!

I mean, it's mainly because of Tokyo Disney that I'm even doing Japan this year. When I first started planning the trip for TPR China, and looking for flights on British Airways partners for award travel, I discovered that there were large fuel surcharges, but not if I took American Airlines, which would mean a Tokyo layover each way. And with the new way they calculate award travel, it was far more miles to book it as one journey on two airlines than to book it as separate legs. Which got me thinking. If I'm going to have to stop in Tokyo and allow time to get my bags and check back in, how could I sit there at the airport so close to Tokyo Disney and not go to the parks? Especially since they would be separate flights anyways, so I could make it a full stop with no penalties. (In fact, quite the opposite.) But that set the ball rolling for what is turning out to be 12 days in Japan both before and after the China trip! In fact, I'm going everywhere on this leg of the TPR Japan trip that Fivv has recounted here.

And it's all because of Disney! I'm very much looking forward to going back. In fact, they will very likely be my last parks of the year. And I'll get to see the whole Halloween lighting and theming package this time, too!

The irony, though, is that I ended up taking so long planning everything with all of the Japan extensions that the flights home on AA booked up for award travel, and I'm now taking Japan Airlines, with a nearly $300 fuel surcharge! At least it's a direct flight, though!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:57 am

TDS Rawks!

And thanks for the reminders of why, Divv.

Want to live there for a week, lolol.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hhappy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:52 am

Tokyo DisneySea is worth the trip by itself. Just bummed it's so far away..
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Part Twelve: TOKYO DISNEYLAND!

Postby Divv3k » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:25 pm

After a fun evening at Tokyo DisneySea it was time to spend a day at the older neighbour - Tokyo Disneyland!

Being a big fan of Disney's Magic Kingdom style parks I really loved this park a lot. It has great versions all the Magic Kingdom staples as well as a few unique rides thrown in. And then there's one ride which kind of exists in the other parks but really is nothing like the version in Japan...

Pooh's Hunny Hunt is one of the best dark rides in the world. Seriously, it's insane. The trackless system and sheer random fun of the ride just make you laugh and smile from start to finish, it's absolutely incredible!

The new Monsters Inc ride is also good and an interested variation of the shooting dark ride. It certainly attracts a lot of guests!

Seeing as this was a Saturday the park did get very crowded in the afternoon but a few of us took some special steps to avoid getting caught up in the huge lines. Read on...
image018.jpg
It’s an early start but it doesn’t get better in the morning than getting on these monrails!
image019.jpg
Playing the role of Colin today – Paul.
image020.jpg
Despite it being late June, for some reason Tokyo Disney’s Easter event was still going on. Works for me!
image021.jpg
Unlike the other Magic Kingdom’s around the world, instead of Main Street we have World Bazaar here in Tokyo. It’s like Main Street except with the added Japaneseness of a cover!
image022.jpg
First stop today – the unbelievably amazing POOH!!!
image023.jpg
TPDave usually has to visit his own special websites to see pictures of a donkey getting nailed in the behind.
image024.jpg
Haunted Mansion next? Don’t mind if we do!
image025.jpg
Randomly, Fantasyland is the location for Haunted Mansion in Tokyo! Doesn’t make the ride any less good!
image026.jpg
Unfortunately TPDave did not chase any bears into any caves.
image027.jpg
Umm, maybe we better wait until Fast Pass time before trying to get on Big Thunder.
image028.jpg
With the line at Big Thunder in such a gihugic state I finally got to pop my Country Bears cherry!
image029.jpg
Strawberry and Lime Pseudo-Dole Whip? You betcha!
image030.jpg
This is where we managed to valley a boat right before a drop. Well done TPR!
image031.jpg
The pirates animatronics are getting more lifelike by the year!
image032.jpg
Mmm… Waffles…
image033.jpg
I think this ought to cover a waffle or two?
image034.jpg
There’s a different range of waffles to choose from… They’re waffly versatile.
image035.jpg
Never has Mickey’s face tasted so good!!
image036.jpg
Light-o-speed-o!!!
image037.jpg
We got lucky on Japanese Star Tours and got the Death Star ending.
image038.jpg
All over the park there would be these random egg shaped versions of Disney characters. It is Easter after all!
image039.jpg
The big attraction now in Tomrrowland is Monsters Inc. Looks awesome from the outside!
image040.jpg
And the queue looks great too. Being a big fan of the movie it was really cool to walk through the building.
image041.jpg
The ride itself is kind of a shooting dark ride but instead of scores and lasers you shine a torch on things to make them move! It’s good fun, especially for people like me who tend to suck at the usual shooting dark rides.
image042.jpg
OMG, look at that beastly monster! Check out Roz too!
image043.jpg
About halfway through the day we took a little break from Disney to ride an inverted monorail and go on a quick credit run to a little park not too far away...
image044.jpg
Here it is.. Chiba Zoo!
image045.jpg
Yes, we’re awesome!
image046.jpg
It’s more than just a Vekoma – it’s a rare and exclusive Vekoma, like no one’s ever rode before!!
image047.jpg
Cha-ching!
image048.jpg
It's just a Vekoma POV!
image049.jpg
Electronic animal takeover!
image050.jpg
If only Erik were here to tell us exactly what this ride was called…
image051.jpg
OMG, a Big Wheel!
image052.jpg
I see we’re not the only coaster enthusiasts in town…
image053.jpg
Thanks Chiba Zoo! It was a nice break from the crowds at Disney and another chance to experience Tokyo’s awesome public transport system!
image054.jpg
Back to business though and there’s some more Disneyland action to be had!
image055.jpg
Splash Mountain seemed exactly the same as Florida to me. Which meant it was great! Plus we managed to skip a horrendously long standby line by using the little-utilised single rider option.
image056.jpg
How about Japanese Jungle Cruise? Okay!
image057.jpg
TPJungleboy.
image058.jpg
Does anyone have any soldeirs to go with this Pluto egg?? No?
image059.jpg
Paul and Jim do their best to blend in with the locals ahead of the parade.
image060.jpg
Here we go! I think we’re in for a treat!
image061.jpg
Ooh la la! I like this parade! Although it was literally five floats long which was a bit weird. But nevermind because it then meant we had time to head over to…
image062.jpg
Car Toon Spin! I really love the Roger Rabbit movie and having never been to California before I really was quite excited for this!
image063.jpg
Quick, run while they’re still inside!
image064.jpg
Not content with riding the one rollerskater today we were more than happy to double down!
image065.jpg
“Hello, I’m TPDave, trolley, trolley, trolley!”
image066.jpg
OMG, Curry Popcorn tasted fantastic, probably my second favourite flavour in the resort!
image067.jpg
As you can tell, Larry absolutely LOVED Pinocchio!
image068.jpg
And we finish our day at Tokyo Disneyland just as we begun – on Pooh! Seriously it’s incredible. Right up there with the likes of Spider-man when it comes to dark rides.
image069.jpg
Well that was another amazing day at Tokyo Disneyland! But wait! There’s more!

After our second day on the resort our tickets became Park Hopper tickets which means there’s a lot more Tokyo Disney fun to come!
Last edited by Divv3k on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 am.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby David H » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:25 pm

I can't wait to get back to Tokey Disney. Which rides have single rider lines? I don't recall if we noticed any of them when I was there!

Also, I wonder why they only let you park hop on the third day and onward. Probably to entice you to splurge on extra days?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:43 pm

David H wrote:I can't wait to get back to Tokey Disney. Which rides have single rider lines? I don't recall if we noticed any of them when I was there!

Also, I wonder why they only let you park hop on the third day and onward. Probably to entice you to splurge on extra days?

The following rides are currently listed on the TDL Resort website as having Single Rider Lines
Splash Mountain
Raging Spirits
Tower of Terror (SR line was closed during our visit last year)
Indiana Jones

The Indy Single Rider line is very efficient.

With Japan being such a conservative society, for rides with two abreast seating (Splash Mountain and Raging Spirits) the person with the empty seat next to them has to agree the have a single rider sit next to them. So if there is a group of 3 or 5 the ride operator will ask them if a single rider can sit next to them. We also encountered this same practice at Universal on Space Fantasy. Generally Japanese guys would have no problem with a stranger sitting next to them but women (especially school age) were not always so welcoming of Westerners.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:58 pm

They’re waffly versatile.

Well crafted!

Oh, and thanks for the look at the inverted monorail.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive