Chadster's Vacation Adventures: Final Edition!

2/2/13 - Sea World Orlando!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Chadster's Vacation Adventures:Construction at Silver Do

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 pm

So many great pics! Great to see all those footers already in place, and some inside shots of CC. I'm also thankful you grabbed those tornado shots - I haven't seen that much myself yet and I probably won't get down there until early summer.

Is the flying carpet still at CC? It looked like it was. I haven't seen them try to sell that one yet oddly enough. Everything else besides that lone kiddie ride is already gone. I guess the shot tower and supersplash will be moved to other HFEC parks soon enough. I thought they were taking better care of OzCat. I was told they were keeping it maintained - and they probably were - but after four years they must have given up. Doesn't look like they are toying with the idea of re-opening the park as anything anymore given the up and down years SDC has had recently.

I'm loving all the attention SDC is getting again with this new construction. Those footers seem to have popped up within the week before opening. At this rate they'll have bents going up next month. That station is really growing as well - it was just formwork a couple of weeks ago.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 pm

QueerRudie wrote:Incredible to see that thing up close (The TIV) after seeing it so often on TV and elsewhere.

A question about the spikes (the ones that 'hold' it into the ground)- are those mechanically lowered, or spring/fire-powered down? I'd imagine that would have to be something rather fast-acting to prevent 'issues' along the way.

Also: Does the vehicle go off-road often? (My memory of the series is rotten- as usual.)
R.D.

Thanks R.D.! The TIV was certainly the highlight of the weekend. The side panels and the spikes are lowered mechanically using hydro's. The vehicle itself uses airbags which also assist in planting it on the ground. They have gone on dirt roads but as you can imagine, it doesn't fare well in the mud.

PAL wrote:Sad, sad photos leading up to the TIV meet and greet. During the first two seasons I thought there was a disturbing disconnect between the excitement of the storm chasers and the devastating potentially killer nature of the storms. The past two seasons the chasers seem to have developed a conscience, but it feels forced. Only the academic team in their thin skinned trucks comes across as likable.

Sean comes across as whiny and mercurial,but I'm sure that's the producers' doing. In real life, no one could be as much a jerk as Reed, could they?

Whatever, it takes steel to deliberately run down those twisters. I'm sure Sean is an interesting character. It's cool you got to meet him.

Unfortunately they are still under contract with Discovery until April 1st and can't really talk about the show until then. However I believe that while they are sad to see it go, the drama that was injected by the producers and those wanting face time (primarily Reed) drove it to the point that viewership started on the decline. All in all I think they are glad its gone ;)

Sean though was just a normal guy and I was able to talk to him for a good fifteen minutes. I do think you hit the nail on the head, the editing room helped portray him as someone he's not.

Chrisrad wrote:As for the tornado damage, thank you for the Ford dealership shot.. I'm also digging the old Pontiac logo - my brother had a '55 Starchief so I recognize the logo.

Awesome pictures - I glanced at them for now because it's getting late, but I want to get back on here and take a better look at everything.

Did anyone else notice a Kennywood arrow in the tornado pictures? Ok, not Kennywood per se, but use your imaginations folks. ;)

Thanks Chris, I didn't really notice the look-a-like sign until you pointed it out! I figured you'd like that Ford pic ;)

beatle11 wrote:Amazing! I've always been interested in severe weather and meeting someone like Sean Casey and seeing the TIV like that is something I'd love to be able to do. Thanks for sharing!

Your Welcome! Thanks for reading!

Shavethewhales wrote:So many great pics! Great to see all those footers already in place, and some inside shots of CC. I'm also thankful you grabbed those tornado shots - I haven't seen that much myself yet and I probably won't get down there until early summer.

Is the flying carpet still at CC?

I'm loving all the attention SDC is getting again with this new construction. Those footers seem to have popped up within the week before opening. At this rate they'll have bents going up next month. That station is really growing as well - it was just formwork a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks! And yeah, those footers are sprouting like weeds! The train conductor suggested in about two months they will make an official announcement but I would suspect if they start going vertical they may need to make that announcement a little sooner. I love that they are precast, dig a hole, throw in some gravel, level it out and bam! Insta footer!

The flying carpet is indeed still there with a partial cover on it waiting for someone to give it a new home.

I plan on going back for World Fest, they are adding Italia this year that looks interesting. If gas hits $4+ I might have to reconsider tho :angry:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 am

Great pictures! One day I need to get out to the Midwest parks.

Postby chadster » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:21 am

^Yes, yes you do!

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:33 pm

I was totally unfamiliar with the TIV until seeing this report. How super-freaking mega-badass is that thing?! Looks like he built his own tornado-fighting Tumbler! Holy crap, that is cool.

Not cool are those shots of the weather devastation. Very, very scary. But thanks for sharing them.

(Missing SDC and wishing I'd gotten to Celebration City before its short life ended...)
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Postby chadster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:12 pm

^The TIV is work of art, Sean doesn't seem to think so, but I do!

Ok guys, as you can see below I'm Riding Mamba for 6 hours to raise money for Give Kid's the World. So far I'm up to $30 thanks to some terrific TPR members, thanks guys! So, in an effort to make things more interesting, I am holding out some "Premium" trip reports for mile stones reached in fundraising.

First Milestone: $50

Adventure to be Released: A look at what is billed as one of the worlds largest private collection of Disney Animation Cels over the last Century. I was able to view over 80 different cels ranging from Dumbo to Aerial and have the pictures to prove it! Some were even signed by Walt Disney himself! So, all you Disney fanatics out there, kick in $5 (we only need four people!) and I'll detail the exhibit and tell you where you can see it for yourself!

Second Milestone: $75

Adventure to be Released: I have no shame in riding kiddie coasters, and this report will prove it. Three kiddie coasters at three different parks. All three parks visited for the sole purpose of whoring their kiddie coaster.

Third Milestone: $125

Adventure to be Released: An adventure to what is Kansas' only amusement park, plus a visit to a Smithsonian affiliated Space Museum and as an added bonus photos from a defunct park!

Note: I will never ever in a million years release the above listed adventures unless the stated milestones are achieved. Release dates will be listed when the milestones are hit.

One again, Thanks for your donations! =)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Come on people get to at least $75 I want to see his kiddie coaster whoring skills!

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:21 am

Yep, you had to go and post it here too, just to further rub in that you saw the TIV and Sean Casey and I, well, didn't. :devil:

I hope another network picks up Storm Chasers. It was the ultimate reality show. You can't get much more real than driving through a tornado.

Postby chadster » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 pm

ILoveRides wrote:Yep, you had to go and post it here too, just to further rub in that you saw the TIV and Sean Casey and I, well, didn't. :devil:

I hope another network picks up Storm Chasers. It was the ultimate reality show. You can't get much more real than driving through a tornado.

HEHEHE, and I have many more pictures too that I can taunt you with :evil:
As far as the show, I wouldn't look for anyone to pick it up, many of the players are unofficially glad it's gone, that is was becoming a drama fest.

GOOD NEWS! The $50 milestone has been met! This Monday I will release the Disney Animation Cel Photo TR!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Someone just hit the $75 threshold. Let's see more whore!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive