TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^ I was talking about Flashback having new trains from Premier, guess not.

If Flashback were to get new trains, I'm guessing it would be the new-style Vekoma trains. I haven't been on Sidewinder at Hershey since the change (in two months I'll be breaking my 5-year embargo on Boomerangs), but I've heard that they're quite a hit.

Has Premier ever supplied trains to non-Premier rides before (well, other than Golitah Vu)?

I'm sure there's more, but the current trains on Trailblazer are Premier trains, and apparently more spacious than the old Arrow ones. Personally, comparing it with the Cedar Creek Mine Ride, I can't say I noticed any differences, but...

Flashback is most likely being removed very soon if not at the end of the season. The ride is unpopular and the space can be used much better. With getting rid of Flashback! Six Flags would have a lot of room for an expansion in that area of the park.

New restraints would make Flashback just about perfect. It's my favorite Boomerang, as it seemed inexplicably more forceful than the rest I've ridden. I don't think seat choice was a factor, as I nearly always sit near the back on these rides. All that said, I'm not sure I'd mind if it were removed...it is just a Boomerang.

^ Technically so is Superman: Escape From Krypton, and that ride was MUCH better with the cars reversed.

Having said that, when you rode Superman: The Escape, you always felt "This would have been much better if I was looking down the tower instead of up..."

Can't say that I ever thought something was "missing" on Mr. Freeze, as it's already a really kick ass coaster...BUT...this should at least prove to be interesting!

I'm just happy to see they aren't having to add any OTSR's back to the trains in order to do this.

--Robb

I'm just happy to see they aren't having to add any OTSR's back to the trains in order to do this.

--Robb

Oh god, I Don't even want to go back down that road. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with OTSR in reverse, it was horrible forward with them on. Well maybe not horrible, but bad!

A reverse launch will be interesting, but I'm not sure this needed to be done at all. But I do agree that Mr. Freeze is a great ride (perhaps my favorite Premier ride), backward launch or not. Going backward up the spike should be pretty freaky, too.

Edited by cfc

This is certainly interesting, but as others have said, I'm not so sure this was something that really "needed" to be done. Really the only difference is going to be the back-spike which isn't anywhere as tall as S:EFK so I'm not sure it will really make that big of a difference.

Either way it's a great ride so it will still be fun.

This wasn't a necessary change by any means, because Freeze really is a great ride, but it certainly won't be a bad thing. Last I knew, enthusiasts applauded parks for "plusing" their popular rides, and refreshing them. This idea seems to be generating a rather odd lack of enthusiasm. I'm all for it and I'm sure that Magic Mountain was the real inspiration for this change. Who knows, if the ride had opened with lap bars originally they may have tried shoulder restraints out for reverse blast, but thank God they know better already. Haha

As for the idea of being thrown forward, freeze's launch really doesn't accelerate that hard, and the seats are so deep that the lap bar is practically up to your chest. I think there is plenty of upper body support for this. Does anyone else realize dragster at cp decelerates in just about the same length of track that it accelerates? No upper body support necessary. I rest my case.

Yeah the launch on mr freeze is pretty force less, but this should be very fun because of how extended it is. You won't know when you going to pull up into that first element. Should catch people by surprise. Also the seats are very deep so there should mostly be force from the front of the seat under your thighs and the lap bars are very high and support ur chest. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I'm curious if in a few years they decided to have one train load frontwards and one train load backwards. It be cool if it was possible. As far as the launch going backwards, remember the train actually launched you backwards when your at the top heading back down and I never felt like I was pushed forward then. Like many others are saying its a force less launch.

The only let down for me is now I won't get to see Mr. Freeze sitting up top saying something to the effect of "I'm about to send you on an awesome coaster" right before take off. At least, that's what he said in my head. I really want to make a trip out to SFOT now. Maybe we need a TPR event this summer to go along with your busy schedule.

I honestly think that facing forward is much better.

I honestly think you haven't ridden it yet the other way. You can say, "but I like it just fine facing forward" but you can't determine which is better without trying them both.

I'm pretty stoked on the reversal. My only complaint with Freeze was that going up the spike, I was often looking directly into the sun and was blinded enough that I never got a sense of how high up I was. This should fix that.

Maybe when they run two trains, they could do one forward and one backward, giving folks an option.

This is certainly interesting, but as others have said, I'm not so sure this was something that really "needed" to be done. Really the only difference is going to be the back-spike which isn't anywhere as tall as S:EFK so I'm not sure it will really make that big of a difference.

Either way it's a great ride so it will still be fun.

& thats whats so great about it...it didnt NEED to be done at all, but theyre creating a new experience & in reality creating a longer life cycle for the coaster by making the old new again. Basically The spike is still large. If people scream goin down a 50ft drop, theyre gonna scream lookin straight down a 200+ft drop.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the folks in Tx (and Mo as well) haven't been to SFMM and certainly not since Superman was reversed. There's just nothing else anywhere near here that comes close to the experience of a vertical plunge from 200+ feet.

Greezed Lightnin' at SFAW had a tasty back spike on it, easily the best part of the ride (they didn't brake the train on the reverse trip) and that wasn't vertical and was only about 70ft tall or so. A vertical 200+ fall is going to go over BIG down here. I foresee long, long queues.

A reverse launch will be interesting, but I'm not sure this needed to be done at all. But I do agree that Mr. Freeze is a great ride (perhaps my favorite Premier ride), backward launch or not. Going backward up the spike should be pretty freaky, too.

I wonder if they'd consider doing this for JJ & Polty?I'd like to see CF do this with BLSC or volcanobut of course they're too darn chicken as we saw what they did regarding running the woodies backwards....granted PTC recommended they not run them likethat but still.

I'm thinking the main appeal about reversing the train is that they're shuttle coasters, so the riders will still be going forwards at one point, just in a way they haven't before. That said, I don't see Joker's Jinx or Poltergeist being switched.

However, if Great Adventure had kept the Chiller coasters open till this point, I could see those being reversed.