Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The playground is where I spend most of my days

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby UrbanLegend » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 pm

cfc wrote:^And where else can you buy a stick for 100 bucks?

Well it depends on what you need it for... :roll:

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I think that Harry Potter World directly killed Dueling Dragons (I insist on calling it that still). Without the money-grabbing retheme, there wouldn't be as big of an influx of GP and first-timers, and with that the shi- erm, knuckleheads that threw stuff at each other on the ride causing Dueling Dragons to not duel any more.
Harry Potter is terrible and I hate it. Get off my lawn!
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby CoasterLover » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Regardless of how much you love or hate "Potterland", you have to at least somewhat agree that much of the recent additions/upgrades to the park are probably a direct response to the success of "Potterland" and the park trying to ride the success of "Potterland"...

I mean, Harry Potter has just brought in crazy amounts of money to the Universal Orlando complex!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby OrlandoPete » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 am

UrbanLegend wrote:
cfc wrote:^And where else can you buy a stick for 100 bucks?

Well it depends on what you need it for... :roll:

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I think that Harry Potter World directly killed Dueling Dragons (I insist on calling it that still). Without the money-grabbing retheme, there wouldn't be as big of an influx of GP and first-timers, and with that the shi- erm, knuckleheads that threw stuff at each other on the ride causing Dueling Dragons to not duel any more.
Harry Potter is terrible and I hate it. Get off my lawn!

I don't think that HP caused any influx of knuckleheads. The ride was open for 11 years prior to Potter, and there was never any shortage of idiots at IOA in that timeframe. Harry Potter fans in particular certainly aren't any worse than the usual teens that patronize IOA. Anyway, I don't understand why a mesh screen can't be put between the space where the trains come at each other.

In any case, if given the choice I would much rather have Forbidden Journey with non-dueling dragons than no FJ. I know there are a lot of HP haters on this site, but I personally think it's the best dark ride ever created.
Last edited by OrlandoPete on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:41 am

^I agree that the occurence of the Dragons "incident" after the opening WWOHP was simply a coincidence. And, as I've stated elsewhere, I don't hate the Harry Potter stuff, I'm just not a big fan of the franchise. Forbidden Journey is a good ride (even though I still prefer Spider-man), and the area itself looks good, if rather cramped.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby OCJ48 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 am

Honestly, I don't think the lack of dueling killed Dragon Challenge. It removes a bit of the uniqueness and some offride photo opportunities, sure, but you barely ever saw the other train anyway while you were on the ride, and you still get two shining examples of snappy B&M inverts from before bimmers became soft and forceless. Basically, what I'm saying is the ride experience is the same, really.

What I do think you can blame on HP that DID make the ride worse is the removal of themeing that came from the DD->DC conversion. I miss the entrance from DD so much sometimes...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm

I don't think that HP caused any influx of knuckleheads. The ride was open for 11 years prior to Potter, and there was never any shortage of idiots at IOA in that timeframe. Harry Potter fans in particular certainly aren't any worse than the usual teens that patronize IOA. Anyway, I don't understand why a mesh screen can't be put between the space where the trains come at each other.

I agree.

In any case, if given the choice I would much rather have Forbidden Journey with non-dueling dragons than no FJ. I know there are a lot of HP haters on this site, but I personally think it's the best dark ride ever created.

If given the choice, I would actually rather have the Dragons dueling along with its old theme than FJ.

And I am a fan of the ride, but I still think Spidy is by far the best dark ride in either park. ...Especially, with the updates.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Did a quick lap around both parks today to check out any progress on a number of things. Spider-Man seemed to be very popular with a posted 75 minute wait the whole time we were there. Potter was also a pretty long line. Dragons, sadly, was only a 15 minute wait. Not sure why that ride never seems to have gotten the love it deserved. :(

Anyway, I got a few pictures of the current state of Jaws and Despicable Me. Jaws fans, beware, there is basically nothing at all left....
jaws_march19_01.jpg
Here's the progress on the queue area for Despicable Me. Looks similar to the old queue area, but getting touched up a bit.
jaws_march19_02.jpg
Here's another view. That's a mighty fine looking dumpster, isn't it? :D
jaws_march19_03.jpg
And this picture wraps up the dumpster portion of the update.
jaws_march19_04.jpg
There's a side view of Gru's house...
Despicable_Me.JPG
And the front of Gru's house. Pretty exciting, no? =)
jaws_marchxx_02.jpg
Here's the same view I took about 10 days ago, so you can see they've progressed quite a bit on it!
jaws_marchxx_01.jpg
Some new theming added to the area.
jaws_march_older_03.jpg
These are some Jaws area photos I took about 10 days ago... there's something going on behind the wall.
jaws_march_older_04.jpg
And that something are the old Jaws buildings being eaten by this monster!!!
jaws_march_older_05.jpg
Munch...munch...munch... Om...nom...nom....
jaws_march_older_06.jpg
Jaws eating monster says "Buildings taste good going in...but they sure BURN coming out!" Ouch!
IMG_0662.JPG
Can you see that 10 days ago, the old maintenance building was still standing.
IMG_0666.JPG
I'm told this is brand new theming for Jaws. SPOILER ALERT! The shark pops out of the truck!!! Crazy!!!
jaws_march_older_02.jpg
Another overview of what the Jaws area looked like 10 days ago.
jaws_march_older_09.jpg
See, building is still there. Cool, huh?
jaws_march_older_10.jpg
Here's a look around the corner.
jaws_march_older_11.jpg
And as you can see here, the Amity buildings on the opposite side of the Jaws were still standing 10 days ago.
jaws_march19_05.jpg
Here's what Jaws looked like today! Even more of the rubble is gone, and as you can see none of the buildings on the ride side of Amity are standing.
jaws_march19_06.jpg
Here's another view of beautiful piles of dirt!
jaws_march19_07.jpg
This is the lagoon side of Amity as of today...all the buildings have also been demolished.
jaws_march19_09.jpg
Another view of where Amity used to be. This is sort of where the Nathan's Hot Dogs building was looking over towards the old boathouse (you can see the Jaws shark in the picture)
jaws_march19_10.jpg
More dirt....
jaws_march19_15.jpg
And even more dirt!
jaws_march19_17.jpg
Here's a look at the area from the side closer to Fear Factor, again, you can see the shark in the picture for a point of reference.
jaws_march19_16.jpg
And here you can see that old maintenance building is now totally gone.
jaws_march19_18.jpg
Here's another look at the lagoon side of Amity...all buildings now just a memory!
photo.JPG
I believe the only thing left from Amity are some of the games that they've moved near that bridge which leads to Simpsons.

Anyway, that's it for this update! Hopefully we'll have more soon! Oh! Keep an eye on our Facebook page! We have some Jaws stuff we'll be giving away! TPR's Facebook link is in my signature.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby eddytheviper » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Rob, have you upgraded to a DSLR with a fisheye lens?
Photos are looking great!

Still sad to see Amity being swallowed up though :(

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby VinTheAttendant » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Love the fisheye lense, hate to see Jaws in the state that it's in. But at least they are moving along rather quickly. The remorse is already leaving as the curiosity inside me settles in. Thanks for the update. (Love Minion Way)

BTW, the fifth picture is sideways. Don't know if that was intentional, accidental, or is that to make it more exciting? ;)

EDIT: Got it! Just making sure you knew.
Last edited by VinTheAttendant on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:32 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:39 pm

VinTheAttendant wrote:BTW, the fifth picture is sideways. Don't know if that was intentional, accidental, or is that to make it more exciting? ;)

I'm aware. It's our stupid forum which is incompatible with the Exim information the iPhone spits out. Fixing it would require me to re-do almost the entire update as I didn't catch it until the end.

I was on my way out the door so it was either leave the sideways picture or not get the update posted until tomorrow.

As for the Fisheye thing it's the new GoPro I was testing out for photos. Funny, I'm actually not a fan of fisheye lenses at all, and for POV video it works well, and I guess for this it's nice too, but I personally find fisheye photos a bit too distorted for my tastes. Glad you guys liked it though! :p
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:42 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!