Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

P. 234: 'Love Island' Summer experience coming to the park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Postby PoisonedPirate » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 am

^ I didn't see it. I didn't even know about til just now!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Baffles » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:03 pm

It's by the helicopter on the low turn. The ride has now been handed back over Merlin Studios - there's various things which have not been installed / finished such as station queue TV's, fire ball from the fire engine and the splash. It's not working completely in sync yet and is due to be finished this coming week ready for opening day.

More photos from Saturday..

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150320486888495.350458.213894828494&type=1

Amazing ride!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:41 pm

It looks like the theming really "makes" this ride--very clever stuff.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby JAMMYD778 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 am

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Jhcbiinoc » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Great photos! Both the ride and the theming on this look amazing to me. I have a strange feeling we will be seeing quite a few new Wing Riders in the coming years.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Jhcbiinoc wrote:Great photos! Both the ride and the theming on this look amazing to me. I have a strange feeling we will be seeing quite a few new Wing Riders in the coming years.

I thought the same thing about Flyers after Air and Georgia's Superman. Luckily, I was wrong!
Been you to have any spike, man?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby StealthFan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Okay so I went to Thorpe Park today for the park opening and got to ride the Swarm. Below is my review of the ride and some pictures.

To start with I want it to be well known this project never really interested me and the ride design never did anything for me. That being said I still went into it with as open a mind of possible. The ride I personally found to be very slow and had zero to no forces. The near misses were nearly un noticable so that to me sort of the defys the point of near misses. I wont deny the ride was one of, if not the smoothest coaster I have ever been on and its also one of the quietest B&Ms ive ever heard. The theming in the area is very very good by the sort of standards you would expect from Thorpe. To give a rough idea I would say its better than the work they did on Saw: The Ride.

Overall I don't like the ride and wont go out of my way to ride it. That being said though I do belive that the ride will be a HUGE and I mean HUGE hit for the park. The theme is perfect for their target audience and a lot of people seemed to be loving it. I really cant say anything other than well done to the park for what im sure will be a huge hit. (A good description for this ride I belive is its a Marmite ride. You will either love it or hate it.)

On a side note just before the bridge to enter "Swarm Island" there is a new food outlet called Roast and Relish that serves hand carved meat baguettes. The food there is amazing! Some of the best snack park food I have ever had. I will for sure be making sure I go there on every visit and do hope that the new "Original Sandwich Company" outlet at Chessington will be able to match the quality of food that comes out off that place.

Now im sure what you have all been waiting for. On to the photos & POV Video!

2.jpg
"Welcome to Swarm Island!"
3.0.jpg
When the Swarm attacks and you need ride merchandise this is a great place to go.
3.1.jpg
I feel this is now a Merlin trademark that all shops are shipping containers.
4.jpg
Nerds rejoice when they see things like this.
5.jpg
New toilets! Sadly they were not open yet so I cant review them for you all. I know how much people were looking forward to a detailed toilet review.
6.jpg
This stage was set up for bands to play through out the day.
7.jpg
A bit of the very very long queue line and the station.
8.jpg
Fireman Sam!
'Cos he's gonna save the day.
Fireman Sam!
9.jpg
Oh dear seems the fire engine has a burnt backside.
10.jpg
They called this a "soak zone" but it was very much like the Tidal Wave zone and more like a mist zone.
12.jpg
What ride am I reviewing again?
13.jpg
Hey Larry!
14.jpg
"War is coming!" Sign up this way!!
15.jpg
You use this seat to check if you are cleared to sign up for war!
16.jpg
I AM! I look so cool here right.............
17.jpg
Its a bit twisty here!
18.jpg
Heading for the plane wing "near miss".
19.jpg
The Swarm attacks as the sun starts to set.
20.jpg
Swarm doing its thing.
21.jpg
I was so surprised that there is no net below this inversion.
22.jpg
See even a closer look shows no net!
24.jpg
Im guessing this is called a station fly over.
25.jpg
This is I personally think the most visually impressive thing to see when the ride is running.
26.jpg
I spy a net above the queue line!
27.jpg
This pic makes it seem that the Swarm is flying through the Fire Engine. in reality it flys behind it.
28.jpg
Here is the first near miss on the ride. Why it has mist coming out off it I dont quite understand, but everyone love some mist so all is good.
29.jpg
Some of the detail work on the wing.
30.jpg
I did sort of wish there was one of the evacuation slides hanging out of the side of the plane. That would have been funny.
31.jpg
The new games stand.
32.jpg
This is where you come to get you on ride photos and on ride videos. (I belive the on ride video system is not working yet as all the cameras have yet to be installed on the trains.)
33.jpg
And I leave you with my favourite picture from that day of the ride.
Last edited by StealthFan on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Your review was exactly what I was expecting, a relatively tame ride experience with incredible themeing that the coaster community will think is just "good" but the GP will think is "great". Should be a huge hit for the park!

I still can't wait to ride Wild Eagle next week but honestly my expectations for a top 10 coaster aren't all that high. Nice report though.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Kumbarider1993 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Amazing! I still don't think any one of these will be more incredible than dollywood's, but WOW. :)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Andy_WSM » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Stealthfan.

Went on the ride 10 times today - I agree about the speed & the lack of forces generally, but did find that if you sat on the left hand side, outside edge on the back row the ride experience was entirely different.

Would be interesting to know if you tried different seating positions too?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!