Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby RobWarren » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Der Der Dongt wrote:They should change the name of the ride as well since the stinger logo is pretty much the best thing you can slap on a boomerang.

Well, then they would have to find entirely new station music! Oh noes!! ;)

Delirium is the rox0rz

Postby PKIDelirium » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:55 pm

New 40th Anniversary logo, and article:

Kings Island hits 40th year of entertaining
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/kings-island-hits-40th-year-of-entertaining-1337921.html
76944151_-1_1093577c.jpg

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:54 pm

Kings Island has sent us a press release regarding their new logo celebrating the park's 40th anniversary.

On April 29, 1972 Kings Island opened its $30 million royal gates outside of Cincinnati, Ohio to a mere 7,000 curious guests. The slogan used to entice their visit was “C’mon Get Happy!” and admission to the park boasting 65 attractions was $6.00. It didn’t take long for word to get out, though. By the end of the first season Kings Island had set a theme park industry record by playing host to more than 2 million guests.

Since then, over 120 million visitors have experienced the park’s world-class rides, shows and attractions making Kings Island one of the most celebrated theme parks in the nation. The 1972 attendance record was just the beginning of a long string of firsts the park has accumulated in the past 40 years.

Given its exciting and impressive evolution, Kings Island plans to celebrate its 40th anniversary season throughout the upcoming summer, unveiling today a commemorative logo on the park’s Facebook and Twitter pages. A series of interactive online and social media campaigns focused on Kings Island fans and their memories will be introduced in the coming weeks.

Kings Island opens for the 2012 season April 28. Daily operation begins May 11.

The all-new Soak City Waterpark debuts May 26 and is included free with park admission.
KI_40th_annivesary_logo.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby asimowalk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:08 pm

That's nice. CW had their 30th anniversary last year, so they brought back some nostalgia with old school paint jobs (Vortex trains) to the original TAFT logo on the wooden coasters. And there was Starlight Spectacular that had birthday wishes to the park at the end of the show. I'm excited to see what Kings Island does around the park for their 40th. They've been tweeting a bit about the Racer, so maybe it'll have old paint jobs and logos.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:18 pm

I love that logo. Very creative! I hope they actually use it this year on park maps, signs, ect.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:06 am

The logo reminds me too much of Cedar Point though I'm happy they put the emphasis on the Eiffel Tower. I'm rather picky but the old Taft logo would have been nice to bring back for a year.

Kings Island should have a park museum like CP does. The former International Restaurant would make a nice spot even if it's just for a limited time.

A not-so-awesome title

Postby molemaster43 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 am

The logo looks very nice. I really hope that Kings Island does something pretty cool for the 40th Anniversary. Son of Beast returning would've been pretty cool, but sadly, no word yet...

Anyways, going old school for the 40th would be a cool idea and, maybe for 40th Anniversary, The Racer could be going backwards again. Who knows?

Delirium is the rox0rz

Postby PKIDelirium » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 am

Bunch of aerial photos, including a batch of never released aerials from October 2009 of KI, Coney and The Beach that have just been added: http://kiextreme.com/gallery/index.php?cat=54

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby giga2kcoaster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:09 pm

molemaster43 wrote:The logo looks very nice. I really hope that Kings Island does something pretty cool for the 40th Anniversary. Son of Beast returning would've been pretty cool, but sadly, no word yet...

Anyways, going old school for the 40th would be a cool idea and, maybe for 40th Anniversary, The Racer could be going backwards again. Who knows?

I thought the same thing, Even with Kings Island being my home park, I wasn't aware that The Racer ran both sides facing forward. Somewhere, I can't find it, but someone asked Kings Island if they would have the red side of The Racer going backwards this year for the 40th, but Kings Island said no. They said no because The Racer originally ran both sides forward and it was never intended to run backwards. I found it interesting that both sides ran forward in the beginning.
Giga2kCoaster

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm

^IIRC, they started running one side backwards in the 1980s because of the downtime The Bat was experiencing.

Cedar Fair has already said they turned the trains to all face forward because PTC does not approve of their trains running backwards on a ride. Tom Rebbie was once asked about it and I believe he said that if a park wants them they will design a train to run backwards, but they will not sign off/perform work on any current train the runs backwards. I never got to ride The Racer backwards, but did get to ride Rebel Yell and it didn't do much for me. I really disliked the ride but found the forward side ok and both forward sides of The Racer and Thunder Road at Carowinds to be fun.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!