TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

http://www.insideseaworld.com/electric-car-charging-stations-seaworld-san-diego

Here’s another “Going Green” enhancement at SeaWorld San Diego. We just installed 4 “Free” electric car charging units for our park guests in the parking lot! They are good for any 120 volt or 240 volt electric vehicles. We’ve already had several guests use the charging station and they work great!!

So, if you have an electric car and are helping reduce green house gases in the environment, you can now “top off your batteries” while visiting Shamu and his friends! Here is a quick video of the charging stations, now just bring on the electric vehicles!

408647_10150513209986855_70105691854_8688842_60745253_n-300x225.jpg.7979193ad138c9a2732d797d8e1c60e7.jpg

Isn't 4 a little low, I know that there isn't many electric cars on the road and that Sea World wants to conserve on electricity, though millions of people are coming and only a little over a thousand will be using it. Though, I think it is a great idea.

I heard Sea World saying that Manta has to fit the city's height limit. What height limit? I heard it was 100', and that makes no sense since Sky Tower is 300'+.

Coastal Comission's height limit, which is much lower (especially in recent years). You can see Atlantis Silos from miles away as they really stand out in the completely flat area.

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to take a few seconds with Brian Morrow to focus on some of the other projects he is working on for the SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties, including a look at Manta.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Other_SeaWorld_stuff_with_Brian_Morrow_yu17[/coastertube]

I heard Sea World saying that Manta has to fit the city's height limit. What height limit? I heard it was 100', and that makes no sense since Sky Tower is 300'+.

Coastal Comission's height limit, which is much lower (especially in recent years). You can see Atlantis Silos from miles away as they really stand out in the completely flat area.

Though, 100' is really too short for a theme park, though that doesn't stop Alton Towers.

After a few weeks I made it back to the park. I really wanted to check up on how Manta was rolling along.

But first thing first... COKE IN THE PARK! Really the best new thing I have seen in SWSD in a long time.

COKE! by PadresFan619, on Flickr

Ok, now on to Manta.

The cars look good.. a little empty but good. After seeing the track I see why they have a good amount of open-ness in the cars - there seems to be lots of sharp twists and turns on the ride. I guess to make up for the lack of coolness that the Orlando park has. The person standing by the ride said one of the reasons SD got the shaft was because "The San Diego park has more of a focus on education". When really the problem is the grumpy old farts running the city and worried a true ride will kill all the fish in the area.

SeaWorld SD Manta Construction by PadresFan619, on Flickr

And good news! Pass members will have early entry to get some rides in.

Early Manta! by PadresFan619, on Flickr

For updates:

That QR code takes you to this YouTube Video:

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Now track pictures!

I hope they finish this before it opens! can you say Final Destination?

And notice the fence here. I wonder if this is the final draft of keeping you from the ride area. Looks too fashioned to be a temp thing.

The track is looking good, maybe this will be better than I thought, still not in the same ballpark as Orlando.. but that is something we should learn to live with at this point since we do not have the support from the city DL and SWO has.

Edited by BabaSD

But this coaster looks like tons of fun! I could never make out the exact layout of this, just a big delicious spaghetti bowl of twistiness. All the more exciting!

I really wanted to get a picture from the sky tower for more of an overview, but it was closed for refurb. So the only above ground pictures I got were from the Bayside Skyride and the top of the Sealion stadium. But it has lots of twists and turns and has a less than large footprint - so it does have a chance.

"The San Diego park has more of a focus on education".

That is technically true...only because of those San Diego old farts. IIRC, it was mentioned during Journey's construction that the city requires all new attractions to have "educational value." Though I personally don't notice a difference between the two parks in that regard either, since Orlando's ride queue's have exhibits too...

"The San Diego park has more of a focus on education".

That is technically true...only because of those San Diego old farts. IIRC, it was mentioned during Journey's construction that the city requires all new attractions to have "educational value." Though I personally don't notice a difference between the two parks in that regard either, since Orlando's ride queue's have exhibits too...

Yah, although Blue Horizons moved the Dolphin Show away from education an into show, but since the educational part is now the pre show, I can see how they got away with it. I don't mind them integrating "educational" values into attractions, especially when SeaWorld's core forus really is to educate people on marine life. Manta looks like it's going to be a fantastic attraction either way.

One thing I am a bit surprised by is that we've seen so little in terms of what Manta will be like as a whole. We've seen some light concept art and an NL recreations of the layout, but beyond that, we've really not seen much of what is going to be in store... I guess what I mean is we have all the pieces, but don't have the slightest clue how to put them together into the attraction.

Honestly...I wish there was space at SWO for a roller coaster ride like this! It is a perfect family coaster with airtime, launches, movie projector screen launch effect, and not to mention the amazing MACK builders of this masterpiece...I can't find hardly anything wrong with this ride...we'll see how this operates when opened!

To me this coaster looks basically like a smaller less impressive version of cheetah hunt, a ride which I was rather underwhelmed with initially (I forgave it because of its awesome night rides). I'm sure that demographically speaking, this appeals to the widest audience of seaworlds guests, but is it my cup of tea? No.

But that doesn't mean if I end up in San Diego I wont try it.