TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

*** ALERT! THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!***

OMG! So I had the chance to go to an preview of Busch Gardens new show, "Iceploration"! It was fantastic! The way they told the story of the Boy Alex and his Grandfather. Also the way they transported us into each part was mind blowing! Also the lighting was really cool as well. The Great Barrier Reef scene was by far my favorite scene! I will give you a few spoilers the sea creatures hanging above you in the scene seems like you were actually underwater with everyone! I hope you all get to see this show cause this is one of Busch Gardens Tampa best show since Hollywood on Ice!

Today TPR got to check out a preview of the new Busch Gardens Tampa ice skating show, "Iceploration!"

Here is the official press release about the show:

ALL-NEW EPIC ICE SHOW PREMIERES AT BUSCH GARDENS IN THE MOROCCAN PALACE THEATRE

Busch Gardens’ Biggest Ice Show to Date Takes the Ice on 2-2-12

TAMPA (February 1, 2012) — For more than five decades, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has set the industry’s standard for delivering unforgettable entertainment experiences, with Broadway-style stage spectaculars like KaTonga: Musical Tales From the Jungle and innovative ice shows like World Rhythms on Ice. Iceploration builds on that tradition and introduces audiences to the next generation of ice shows.

Starting February 2, a cast of 20 brings to life an all-new adventure filled with world-class skaters, more than 75 original costumes, amazing aerial performances, master puppetry and live animal stars, with shows daily in the Moroccan Palace.

“The grand scale of this show sets a new standard of entertainment that further solidifies Busch Gardens as one of Florida’s premier theme parks,” said Busch Gardens Park President Jim Dean. “Iceploration reintroduces the ice show to our most loyal fans while bringing together the things Busch Gardens stage productions do best: world-class entertainment with top-notch skaters, amazing costumes, original music, larger-than-life puppets and even animal stars.”

Iceploration inspires audiences to “explore the world” on a 30-minute journey to the four corners of the earth. This multi-sensory story, told through theatrical skating and an all-new original score, is the collaboration of an award-winning creative team with Broadway credentials, including Tony Award-winning costume designer Gregg Barnes (The Drowsy Chaperone, Best Costume Design Tony winner 2007; Legally Blonde the Musical, Best Costume Design Tony nominee 2007).

The 30-minute show opens with Austin, a digitally savvy preteen, who believes that technology has made his generation more connected to the world than ever before. But his grandfather – and old-world explorer – argues that the boy is more disconnected than he realizes, and takes him on an adventure around the globe. Through their travels they visit the African Serengeti, Great Barrier Reef, the Arctic and the Amazon rainforest.

The adventure unfolds as they arrive in the African Serengeti. Here, larger-than-life puppets and spectacular set design bring elephants and other awe-inspiring animals to life at a watering hole. Solo and chorus skating performances accompanied by acrobatics tell an anecdote of an agile cheetah stalking graceful gazelles and meerkats.

Austin and Grandpa then dive into the Great Barrier Reef to explore the harmony of life on the ocean floor. An amazing black light transition and never-before-seen helium-filled puppets immerse the audience in the wonders of the sea, filled with parrotfish and lionfish, sea urchins, turtles and a moray eel.

In the Arctic, majestic skaters become striking snow flurries as a winter storm threatens the travelers. Austin and Grandpa witness even more beauty as they encounter the Aurora Borealis phenomenon, represented with theatrical lighting and projections. Then, they share the stage with amazing live animal stars, including a Siberian lynx and a sled of Siberian huskies as they continue to traverse the tundra.

Austin and Grandpa wrap up their adventure around the globe immersed in the lush, tropical Amazon Rainforest. Squirrel monkeys, sun conures and colorful macaws fill the air as playful frogs and a graceful dragonfly skate into the grand finale: a new signature song called “Meet the World.”

Iceploration performances are included with any daily park admission or annual Pass. For more information, visit BuschGardens.com

Photos and some video....

TPR is at Busch Gardens Tampa for the media preview of Iceploration!

Here is what you see when you walk into the Iceploration theater at Busch Gardens Tampa.

Jim Dean, president of @BuschGardens Tampa introduces Iceploration.

Akkv5lmCQAAayWI.jpg

The African Serengeti and ice skaters? Sure! It works!!!

1527681899_Aqua2.jpg.67b036a386b4bfdad189ad38b85e0a5c.jpg

Iceploration Elephant Stiltwalkers in the Serengeti

Now we visit Australia's Great Barrier Reef!

1977647062_IceplorationintheGreatBarrierReef.thumb.jpg.55463a4b0470c31415a5fe2e7c3a3f34.jpg

Iceploration in the Great Barrier Reef

Now we are in the arctic! It's even snowing in the theater!

1090340390_IceplorationAustinandGrandpawithHuskiesintheArctic.thumb.jpg.298652c1e96f10574df8b075940a9003.jpg

Iceploration Austin and Grandpa with Huskies in the Arctic.

1160033187_IceplorationAcrobaticMonkeysintheRainforest.thumb.jpg.817f989bffe4e4f100a26418d4be7c1a.jpg

Iceploration Acrobatic Monkeys in the Rainforest

Hooray! A trampoline section!

1831783107_IceplorationDragonflySoloSkater.thumb.jpg.cca2911591db236f19e7c52a97de4a5b.jpg

Iceploration Dragonfly Solo Skater

1732040336_IceplorationFinaleintheRainforest.thumb.jpg.89a2473efcb3e29030a17f12d9be8319.jpg

Iceploration Finale in the Rainforest

Three of the stars, and one of the animal trainers from Busch Gardens Iceploration.

Austin and Grandpa Jones from Busch Gardens Iceploration. First long-run BGT show with a kid actor!

AklCw0tCMAAFnwh.jpg

Scott Swenson gives us a great backstage tour!

Backstage at Busch Gardens Iceploration! Theater geeks will love this!

That baby elephant is well hung!

Backstage at Busch Gardens Iceploration you see some of the props from the show.

Scott says... "Come out to Busch Gardens Tampa and see Iceploration... You'll love it!"

And here is a video clip from Iceploration!

Calico System.nltrack

1661690598_IceplorationCheetahGazelleintheSerengeti.thumb.jpg.8045eab582bbece3afa5c7eb58487e60.jpg

Iceploration Cheetah Gazelle in the Serengeti

Meet The World Finale.mp3

A clip of music from the show - Meet the World Finale

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release regarding a special one-night-only offering they've planned for Valentine's Day.

Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the ultimate “date night” – a romantic adventure under the stars, complete with unforgettable African animal encounters and delicious treats on Busch Gardens Serengeti Night Safari.

WHAT: Valentine’s Day Serengeti Night Safari

Venture through Edge of Africa to witness the active nighttime behaviors of hippos, lions and hyenas, lit only by moonlight and handheld lanterns. Then, on the Serengeti Plain, use night-vision monoculars and special filtered lighting to view free-roaming herds of giraffes, zebra, rhinos and other intriguing African animals. After your amazing animal adventure, cozy up around a roaring bonfire to hear colorful tales of African folklore.

DATE: Tuesday, Feb. 14, 6:30-9 p.m.

FOOD/DRINKS: This nighttime experience begins and ends in the exclusive Safari Club. You will enjoy savory appetizers and adult beverages before the excursion, and a special nightcap completes the evening with champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries.

PRICE: The cost is $60 per person, plus tax. Park admission is not required or included.

RESERVATIONS: Call 1-888-800-5447 or visit BuschGardens.com. Guests must be 21 years of age or older to participate.

Busch Gardens has also sent us a press release announcing the birth of another reticulated giraffe at the park!

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay welcomed a new baby female reticulated giraffe on Monday, January 27, 2011. At 6 foot, 2 inches tall and weighing approximately 176 pounds, the newborn is the calf of father, Jafari and mother, Cupid. This is Jafari’s second calf, and cupid’s fifth.

This new addition brings the park’s reticulated giraffe population to 19. Exactly one month to the day before this most recent birth, another female in the herd, Tesa, gave birth to Jafari’s first calf, which was also female.

The new mother and baby are currently in an area out of guest view so they can be closely monitored by zoo staff to ensure the baby is nursing and growing properly. The duo will join the other animals on the Serengeti Plain in about three months.

A reticulated giraffe’s gestation period is approximately 15 months, and the new baby will nurse for about one year. This birth is part of a successful long-term breeding program at Busch Gardens. The term “reticulated” refers to the giraffe’s net-like pattern of spots.

Busch Gardens’ 65-acre Serengeti Plain is a naturalistic habitat featuring a diverse population of free-roaming African animals including giraffe, zebra, white rhinoceros, eland antelope and several other species of hoof stock and birds.

You can view these amazing animals from the Serengeti Express, the Skyride or on a Serengeti Safari, an open-truck tour during which you can hand-feed reticulated giraffes and get up-close with the other animals on the plain.

83311843_SNS_FireVertical.thumb.jpg.52d430aa0ec8b6726f5d77b20db573a2.jpg

SNS_Hippo.thumb.jpg.e92800bee5bff3abdb7248ced0a31003.jpg

SNS_Lion.thumb.jpg.06ac3369c49686b033b8d118587deef3.jpg

SNS_Truck.thumb.jpg.d967924407dbd43624d1e6ee4047ed25.jpg

2035756940_BGBabyGiraffe1.thumb.jpg.0c76541d837c8f6edd60849b4678b5b0.jpg

1864126425_BGBabyGiraffe9.thumb.jpg.90ccaa643d9a37b7aeff5cd6107741e5.jpg

880949460_BGBabyGiraffe2.thumb.jpg.66ce730ae296cbff68b0691bb53382ef.jpg

1170433857_BGBabyGiraffe3.thumb.jpg.4a57023a1933f95372410d3246cbd47a.jpg

8506101_BGBabyGiraffe4.thumb.jpg.b5ed49e40a348abe4423dd16f57890b8.jpg

380888954_BGBabyGiraffe5.thumb.jpg.930d86a67588eae8a18be1964a1bc17f.jpg

1097807762_BGBabyGiraffe6.thumb.jpg.acc417fb999a1210e3a89044cd388ba9.jpg

2111482520_BGBabyGiraffe7.thumb.jpg.4fdd2adc52c698d92e1d96dff7b8b8b9.jpg

513027666_BGBabyGiraffe8.thumb.jpg.600185a018091306ade4edacc52f1b5f.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Giraffes have blue tongues?

Black actually. And from what the animal keepers at the park have told me, it's because giraffes eat all day long (I've seen them going for the grass near the back wall of the meerkat habitat and trying to reach leaves way up in the trees), so they have dark tongues so they won't get sunburned.

And that new baby giraffe is BEYOND cute!

I've been hearing good things about Iceploration. I can't make it to the park again until after my trip to Disney next weekend, but I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Also, I believe Kasi the cheetah's 1st birthday is coming up soon and I know the park will most likely do something to celebrate. He's such a cutie pie!

• 2 weeks later...

Been searching these forums for the past few weeks. I wish I knew about this place years ago..

Anyways, I'm planning on visiting this park next Friday. I live in the Boston area and my kids have school vacation next week. I know that the WDW parks will be jammed. What do you think the crowds will be like for this park on a Friday?

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press advisory regarding the launch of their own Pinterest account

Busch Gardens Launches Pinterest Account

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is releasing a new way for fans to connect with the park via its new Pinterest account. Pinterest, known as the world’s fastest growing web site ever, is a photo and video sharing social website and virtual pinboard where users “pin” or bookmark images and videos of interest to them onto categorized boards they’ve created.

Follow the park’s Pinterest page for boards dedicated to adorable baby animal photos, park and special event news, and suggestions for giving gifts of adventure. Fans and followers are also encouraged to “pin” photos and videos of their own adventures in the park onto their boards (using #BuschGardensTampa in the description), and Busch Gardens will “repin” them onto its “From Our Guests’ View” board.

You can also follow the Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Blog or connect on Facebook and Twitter.

Adventure Island has also sent us a press release regarding their upcoming season!

Adventure Island kicks off another season of fun in the sun on Saturday, March 10. It’s time again to splash in the wave pool, amble down the Rambling Bayou, race down speed slides including Everglides and Riptide or just kick back on the beach amidst a tropical Key West setting,

Best reason to come again and again this year? The valuable Adventure Island Weekday Pass allows you to play weekdays all season long at a valuable price. And extended hours return all summer long.

BEST OFFERS:

The best value to visit all season long is the Adventure Island Weekday Pass.

• Play Weekdays All Season long. Enjoy unlimited weekday access to Adventure Island during the 2012 season with no blackout dates.
  • Valid Mondays through Fridays, March 12 through Sept. 3, 2012
  • Purchase at AdventureIsland.com, 1-888-800-5447 or at Adventure Island or Busch Gardens front gates.
  • The Adventure Island Weekday Pass is $49.99 for adults and $45.99 for children.

For the best deal on a single-day ticket, buy online at AdventureIsland.com and save $5.

EXTENDED HOURS ALL SUMMER LONG

Hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. June 11 through Aug. 12, ALL SUMMER LONG -- not just during Island Nights. That’s more time to enjoy the thrills, water attractions and family fun offered at Adventure Island.

And Island Nights returns as well, offering the perfect excuse to stay late this summer. Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 5 to 9 p.m., June 14 to Aug. 11, it’s a vacation from the everyday with music, inspiring cuisine and family-friendly beach activities in addition to all the thrilling slides, tube rides and water-drenched fun of Adventure Island.

CABANAS: To make the most of your Adventure Island visit, rent a cabana for a shaded, exclusive spot for your family and friends to gather throughout the day. Each cabana includes four chaise lounges, a lock er, a mini-fridge with assorted drinks and four souvenir towels. Daily rental prices range from $99.99 to $189.99, based on the time of year.

From the moment guests enter Adventure Island, they are immersed in a Key West-themed paradise. The 30-acre water park features thrilling slides and tube rides including Riptide, Wahoo Run, Key West Rapids, Runaway Rapids, Everglides, Calypso Coaster, Aruba Tuba, Caribbean Corkscrew, Water Moccasin and Gulf Scream. Guests can also kick back on the beach or in the 17,000-square-foot wave pool, play on professional sand volleyball courts, breeze through the tropical gift shop or let the current sweep them through a half-mile of lush landscapes and tropical waterfalls on the Rambling Bayou.

Visit AdventureIsland.com for daily operating hours. Single-day admission tickets for Adventure Island are $44.99 for adults and $40.99 for children. Children ages 2 and younger are free, and all children must be accompanied by an adult. All prices are per person, plus tax. Park hours are subject to change. Visit http://www.adventureisland.com for more information.

I went to Busch Gardens 4 times over the past two weekends (I haven't had a pass this year, so I needed catching up ) and I noticed a few things. First, this was the first time I've seen Montu's new QuickQueue line. It's very nice that it cuts through to the loading area rather than before where it would go through the exit. It fits nicely as well with the new wall in the regular path. However, 3 of those days had completely full parking lots. And in 4 of those days there was absolutely no line for Montu. So still no need for QuickQueue for Montu. Second, Kumba seems to be switching over to black restraints as well. Only one train had the switch so far. Third, the path between Ubanga-Banga bumper cars and the skyride has been blocked off. Now you must go through Jungala. My roommate works on Skyride, and he said that the rumor is that many people have commented that they didn't know Jungala existed, let alone there is an awesome tiger exhibit! So they did that to force people to walk around and see more.

WP_000043.jpg.3e4e2a9c029562ff4ed8e3085f2e904c.jpg

This is right after the tunnel under Montu's lift. The QuickQueue is on the right.

WP_000040.jpg.7d6170650a6bf6ff34c9341dde13d682.jpg

I think this looks even worse than Montu. :(

WP_000041.jpg.6edeca9e8c4434d1d86d3309fa696073.jpg

I really don't understand how people miss the tiger exhibit on the map as well. Oh well, now we take 26 more seconds to get to the same spot +/- the time spent gawking at the orangutans and tigers.

Wow, Pinterest is really blowing up lately. Not long ago, I knew of, like, two people who had an account. Now I read or hear about it every few days! I have one or two annoyances with the site, but with its popularity it seems like a great way to connect with fans. I wonder what other parks might pop up there.