California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby vacoaster09 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:53 am

After Look at Wodan! I really would LOVE! to see a GCI project go in to this park!
Leviathan - "I am a B&M, I am clearly not the father. I305 is not my child."
Millennium Force - "Yes he is Maury... I am 100% sure"
Maury - "Leviathan ..... in the case of possessed juvenile I305 .... you are not the father!
Maverick - (giggles with guilty grin)"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:16 pm

XYZ wrote:If they put in that GCI coaster, I can guarantee a huge jump in attendance with the proper marketing & advertising. CGA's marketers who do the TV ads say they have a tough time doing it because there is no new product to talk about.

Yeah its hard to make something stale look appealing, a fresh new coaster would look very attractive.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Yup, I've heard that before...actually, I had a small Q&A with CGA for a class project (Was taking a recreation and leisure class) and received a similar answer when I asked about marketing a park without major additions.

Oh, and random photo to add, I thought of yesterday or whenever CGA posted the photo and mentioned "Planking." And reading a Facebook comment on the photo drove me this direction :)
plankingcga.jpg
Did someone say planking?

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Time to dig this up from the depths of the boards, came across this on permit page today...Hello GCI!

http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=PLN2012-09049
2/14/2012
Description:
Architectural Review of revised plans for a wood coaster ride
structure to be constructed in northern portion of park;
Reference previous planning cases: PLN2008-06835 &
PLN2009-07829

So could this still be in the same spot? After all, it does note 'revised' plans...so I'm wondering if it could still even be GCI or if it could be something else of a 'quieter' type, or if it will even feature the same layout. At this point, lots of unknowns and questions other than we now know something seems to be coming to CGA.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby R.C. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:57 pm

The Northern part of the park looks more like the catering area behind Flight Deck in this Google Maps image:

maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.398083,-121.9732&z=17&t=h&hl=en

FYI: I lined it up so that North is straight up in Google Earth before getting the link to Google Maps.

Postby Tmcdllr » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Hmm...there is a lot of empty space over the lagoon....

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby CGA_88 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 pm

The Northern part of the park is the main gate area which includes Star Tower, which is where the proposed coaster was supposed to go back in 2009. Pretend your at Psycho Mouse and look to the front of the part. Flight Deck would be considered the east part of the park.

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 pm

I forgot where I saw it, not sure if it was here or elsewhere but I do remember seeing some low-res image of another proposed spot for the coaster, dominating the Redwood Amphitheater spot...which is probably more north than the Whizzer site or Flight Deck. But we've got a ways to go anyway. At this point, it is however fun to try and guess where the coaster could be.

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Well, that had me doing a double take. I think my skepticism of this park is understandable. :p

I will be so, so happy if this goes through. I suppose in a way it's not even that far-fetched, if indeed at all?
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:Well, that had me doing a double take. I think my skepticism of this park is understandable. :p

I will be so, so happy if this goes through. I suppose in a way it's not even that far-fetched, if indeed at all?

I know, right? I was skimming through the list before I got lazy and did a CTRL+F for the term "2012" when I saw restroom renovation, event going until Jan 2012...and then the news I posted on the previous page. Elsewhere on that page I had also seen an architectural review from 2009 so I had to take 3 or 4 looks to make sure I was seeing things right.

It's kind of funny because just about exactly a year ago (give or take a couple weeks) we were given the sad news of Invertigo leaving us and this year, some activity on the Lost Coaster of Silicon Valley. Lastly, someone mentioned way back when this thread started that CF is good with long term plans...maybe this is evidence to that post?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!