Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 am

Cast members were informed of the following yesterday. WDW Parks will be enforcing the one hour window on all Fast Passes

Disney's FASTPASS service return time reminder
02/08/2012

In order to provide the best experience possible for everyone at our theme parks, all Walt Disney World Guests will be expected to return within their Disney's FASTPASS return time window, effective March 7.

Disney's FASTPASS service plays an important role in our Guests' ability to enjoy their visit to one of our Walt Disney World theme parks, and our ability to provide this great service is dependent upon Guests returning during the designated window. The vast majority of our Guests are aware of their return times and arrive in the window printed on the Disney's FASTPASS ticket.

As more Guests choose to take advantage of this feature, we want to provide the same opportunity to everyone. By asking all Guests to return within the window printed on their pass, more Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy this great service.

This is not a change, but simply a reminder of our existing policy. All Cast Members are expected to adhere to this policy when visiting the parks as Guests.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 pm

^Dislike. If the vast majority of guests return within the time window on the ticket, then why does the policy need to be changed? Furthermore, there are legitimate reasons why a guest could not make their scheduled window, like getting stuck in line for another attraction because it is broken down.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

^I agree, this might cause some problems but for certain attractions like Soarin and Toy Story Mania strict enforcement of the time slots might help a little (even though it's pretty difficult to thoroughly enforce it for one ride and not others). No matter how they operate the Fastpass system there are going to be advantages and disadvantages.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I imagine that cast members will still have the discretion to allow guests in after the designated time.

There's definitely a difference between missing your window by a short amount of time due to another attraction/store/food venue taking more time than you thought vs. waiting until WAY after your window has passed simply because you know you can get away with it.

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:04 pm

While I understand the arguments for changing this, does it really NEED to be changed? It seems to me that most people are happy they can come back after the printed time - whether it be for reasons out of their control (ride breakdown, long line somewhere else, etc), or just because it's more convenient for them to come later ("We were on the opposite side of the park," "We wanted to ride at night," "I was hungry so I wanted to eat first before riding," etc.) I just feel like despite the problems that having an open-ended return time causes, most people would still prefer it. It's much less stressful knowing that you can still ride even if you miss your scheduled time. Now rather than just enjoying your time at the park going where you please, you're going to have to make a point to be in certain areas at certain times, and you'll have to constantly keep mental note of what Fastpasses you have and where you need to be when.

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:17 pm

^As was noted by a CM in the Magic Kingdom thread, the lax enforcement of FP times does cause operational issues after parades/shows/fireworks let out. FP lines get swamped, causing the standby lines to suffer. Great for the guests with FP, not so much for those in what they thought would be a shorter standby line.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 pm

I have used fastpasses WAY outside their window, but I never realized it was a "no-no" because no cast member ever told me I shouldn't do it. :Pr
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm not an attractions cast member, so I wasn't even aware that the return times were to be strictly enforced to begin with.

I forget exactly what happened that I learned about how Fastpasses were good until the end of the day. I think that a cast member told me about it one day that I went in as a guest and Space Mountain was down. They probably didn't even know that I was a cast member myself. But, I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly.

Being oblivious does have its advantages though. ;)
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

"Gelato isn't vegan?"

Postby ILoveRides » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Jew wrote:^As was noted by a CM in the Magic Kingdom thread, the lax enforcement of FP times does cause operational issues after parades/shows/fireworks let out. FP lines get swamped, causing the standby lines to suffer. Great for the guests with FP, not so much for those in what they thought would be a shorter standby line.

I've been in standby lines when this has happened, and I agree it sucks, but I still think it's worth it. I really enjoy not having to stress out about being certain places at certain times. I'm at the park to relax, so I don't want stress and a strict schedule. I don't want to have to worry about staying in certain areas of the park so that I'll be close-by when my Fastpass time comes up. I don't want to have to think, "Will I be free at this time? Or will I be at a parade, in another line, or eating?" before I get a Fastpass. I get that sometimes the current policy will work against guests, such as the examples you gave, but the benefit seems worth it to me. It has worked this way for years and most people seem generally happy with it. I feel like they're trying to fix something that isn't broken, and in doing so they may cause more inconvenience and problems for guests.
Last edited by ILoveRides on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 pm.

Postby Jew » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:09 pm

^I totally agree with you, as I am one of those people who knowingly uses as fast pass whenever it is convenient for me.

But I see the operational/throughput issues as well. I would imagine that there was a reason for management to issue this reminder to CM's, whether it be guest complaints or them noticing rides closing later than expected (read: costing them more $$) due to longer standby lines...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!