Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby cckoman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Bubba wrote:
cckoman wrote:Any word on what is replacing JAWS? I didn't read it anywhere. I hoped that this announcement would address that. :(

Nope nothing. They said last week they would avoid speaking about Potter so the focus would be on the new 2012 attractions.

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense to do it that way. This way everything they just announced won't be overshadowed.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 pm

kidcoaster 2 wrote:I love that Stan Lee is doing the cameo, it is fun to spot him in his movies but I got to wonder where he will fit in spiderman?

For some reason I can see him showing up as the Truck Driver you almost run into. That's one of the very few times you see people in the ride besides the main characters.

I'm interested in seeing whether or not they'll changes the pre show around too, doesn't sound like it, but it'll be a liittle wired going from cartoony animation to ZOMFG Xtreme HD.
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:33 pm

SoCalCoasters wrote:
kidcoaster 2 wrote:I love that Stan Lee is doing the cameo, it is fun to spot him in his movies but I got to wonder where he will fit in spiderman?

For some reason I can see him showing up as the Truck Driver you almost run into. That's one of the very few times you see people in the ride besides the main characters.

Makes senses alot of sense I completely forgot about that part.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Someotherguyuser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:13 am

Is it just me, or do the new graphics for Spider-man look like something out of a PS3 game?

Compare:

You know, watching the last video makes me realize how much missed opportunity there was by excluding Mysterio out of the ride. I think he would have been cooler to use than Doc Oc, but that's just me.
Ghostbusters Ride at Universal Studios....let's Make it Happen!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/universal-studios-needs-to-make-a-ghostbusters

Postby Wes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:49 pm

^ A computer generated ride scene looks like a computer generated game cut scene? What madness do you speak of?

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 am

So earlier this week I had the chance to get back to the Universal Orlando Resort for the first time since Jaws' closing day, and there is definitely a good deal that has changed since that time!
DSC03143.JPG
The Hollywood Drive In Golf details are becoming far more defined.
DSC03146.JPG
Space worm!
DSC03148.JPG
A cemetery has appeared which include some unique looking grave markers.
DSC03149.JPG
Spooky!
DSC03152.JPG
The new mini golf's sign has been installed and it looks great!
DSC03154.JPG
Rockwork on this observatory has been completed recently.
DSC03156.JPG
Despite the lack of eye, it sees directly into my soul!
DSC03157.JPG
A little jab at Signs? I think so.
DSC03159.JPG
The Blue Man Group ad station in CityWalk has been updated with a new design. The characters formerly had TVs for heads (similar to an act seen in the previous version of the show). Considering that much of the new show will be a departure from the previous version, it makes sense to change the station up a bit.
DSC03160.JPG
The Hard Rock Cafe/Hard Rock Live complex recently received an entirely new paint job.
DSC03161.JPG
The signature pink cadillac emerging from the rubble has also been removed.
DSC03162.JPG
Over at Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, the framework for the entrance to Gru's home/laboratory has gone up.
DSC03164.JPG
A good section of the park's pavement has been entirely repaved in preparation for the Universal Superstar Parade's arrival later this year.
DSC03165.JPG
The tarmac certainly looks fresh!
DSC03169.JPG
Now that the cat's out of the bag, work on the Universal Cinematic Spectacular barges is in high gear.
DSC03172.JPG
These projection domes remind me of the old Cinesphere domes... Ugh.
DSC03174.JPG
Work on the show control booth behind Richter's is nearly complete.

See you at the party, Richter!
DSC03176.JPG
These tall towers will bring the waterfall screen heads to the top during the show and will be lowered during the daytime. Unfortunately, the towers themselves won't be lowered during the day, meaning we'll have these in view all the time.
DSC03180.JPG
Here's the sad part of today's visit.
DSC03182.JPG
A few pieces of Amity history still remain in the divide between Amity and San Francisco, but I can't imagine it will be this way for too long.
DSC03183.JPG
What a view.
DSC03187.JPG
Workers were tinkering with the Amity shops, presumably going through the trials to cut power before they prepare to bulldoze it all.
DSC03190.JPG
No longer home to a sea of sharks, Amity is now host to a sea of construction walls.
DSC03191.JPG
Poor Nathans!!!
DSC03192.JPG
Despite the tall walls, it can be seen that very little external work has been done so far on the old Amity shops and game booths.
DSC03193.JPG
Shark..Shark...Shark...
DSC03194.JPG
The little details are still here for now.
DSC03198.JPG
The Oakley store seems to be the first one to have had its entrance sign removed.
DSC03199.JPG
Originally walled off with the rest of the area, Bruce has been given a brief reprieve allowing guests to continue taking pictures with him for the time being.
DSC03200.JPG
Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours is officially no more.
DSC03209.JPG
Over near E.T. the Universal Cartoon Store is now closed to become a new "immersive retail experience" for Spongebob Squarepants and his friends.
DSC03210.JPG
Over in Islands of Adventure, some of the newer costumes of the Marvel characters can be seen in the wild.
DSC03211.JPG
Permits leaked earlier last week detailing the demolition of this building and the red tent seen in the background. This space will likely be utilized by a/the major expansion project that will head this way from down the road.
DSC03213.JPG
It had been the first time that I stayed in the park til close in quite some time, so it was nice to see Potter mostly empty for once.
DSC03229.JPG
A walk-on this evening.
DSC03230.JPG
Universal quietly announced to its team members earlier last month that it was investing in little things around the resort, including the addition of smoke coming from the chimneys in Hogsmeade. This resort-wide project also covered the recently updated lighting added to the AMC Theatre "bowl" at the front of CityWalk.
DSC03233.JPG
I'll always admit, I'm a fan of the Wizarding World and its many aspects... But I truly am saddened by the casualties it has brought along the way.
DSC03243.JPG
Jurassic Park still looks great as ever.
DSC03249.JPG
The same goes for Dudley Do-Right, except for the fact that the exploding building at the bottom of the drop is not currently "exploding."
DSC03254.JPG
Spiderman closes this week to undergo its final transformation into its updated form. Riding it now, you can already recognize the difference in quality between the new and old projectors. It still looks great, but I think the update is certainly a welcome one.
DSC03255.JPG
It isn't often that you have the time to admire the ambient evening lighting here in Marvel Superhero Island.
DSC03258.JPG
It is pretty spectacular.
DSC03267.JPG
Time to phone... I mean, go home!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:01 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:Image

With all those cracks, that doesn't look like new pavement to me. Looks more like they just sprayed sealcoat on it.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Adam: Can't wait to see the new Blue Man Group bathrooms! :lol:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Come to think of it, I've never been in IOA after dark, either--thanks for a look at it.

Is it wrong of me to say that the new mini-golf course is what I'm looking forward to the most at Universal?
Last edited by cfc on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:08 pm.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby jcrouse » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:09 pm

^ I don't think so, Chuck. I can't wait to play that course.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!