Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby Gav » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:43 am

boweryboy wrote:
Migs310 wrote:Ok let's think about this here. How can Disney make a personalized ride for one person when they are in a car with 5 other people? Will it be like a vote thing where majority rules? Something doesn't make sense.

^This.

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts is that perhaps there might be a 6 person 'design bay 'or similar, and each person is tasked with designing on part of the car. One person picks tyres, another one colour, headlight design, propulsion source etc etc.
So it could end up being a 'design by committee' perhaps?

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Chroniq » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:46 am

So entirely new queue with interactive/next gen elements.

The ride itself remains nearly completely unchanged except for the cars being reskinned (as is needed to remove the old brands that gm has shuttered) and operational improvements.

New post show where you find out how well you did in the video game you played while in the queue.

New Chevy showroom (The smart money says this entire update was thought up so the GM branding could be removed because of the stigma attached to it and the fact that so many ancillary brands are gone. I see you- Hummer, Oldsmobile, Saturn, etc.).

While it's a very minor update, I'd be happy if they remove the "home-depot" style truss and signage at the entrance to the ride and keep some reference to seven and/or surprise tests in the pre show.

Chris " or maybe, they are updating so it the cars can travel at 100 mph again" Connolly
Tram Credits: 13502 Find me here: Chris Con

Postby Wes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:29 am

^ I wouldn't be surprised if they updated the pre-show video as well as the in-ride narration and video elements to match. Maybe even incorporate some of the effects that are being used on Radiator Springs Racers. Wouldn't have to change the ride course, just theming elements.

Postby Chroniq » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 am

I'm always out of the loop (pun intended), so I have to ask; What effects are they including in Radiator Springs Racers that could possibly be implemented out on the test track?
Last edited by Chroniq on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:41 pm.

Postby Wes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:16 pm

^ I think there's some sort of "mirror" effect that makes it look like the cars are getting customized paint jobs and tires or something. This is just me guessing, though.

Postby Chroniq » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Wes- whether this turns out to be true or not, I'm impressed that you brought a completely new idea to the table. Sounds like a good idea and something that can be easily implemented in the new overlay.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby dj snow » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:28 pm

If they could get the in-car video and audio to work consistently, that would be an improvement.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:27 pm

After watching the special Rock the Night fireworks show at Disney's Hollywood Studios the other night, my friend and I went over to Epcot to enjoy the rest of the park's time open for the evening. I ended up coming back the following day, but during both visits, I found some new and notable things, as well as captured some more photos of some of Epcot's finest.
DSC02963.JPG
The temporary Italy booth from the Food & Wine Festival has returned to the pavilion (after a brief stint at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the holidays) to help deal with the loss of Tutto Italia during the major refurbishment it receives over the next few months.
DSC02965.JPG
DSC02966.JPG
Tutto Italia is undergoing a major refurbishment (the one it was supposed to receive when the Patina Group first took over the the restaurant from the former Alfredo's) to give it a new interior design and add a wine bar to building (which will be on this end of the restaurant).
DSC02968.JPG
The construction wall runs all the way to the pizza window at Via Napoli.
DSC02970.JPG
Walls have been ripped out and the interior gutted. One this is for sure--this won't look like Alfredo's when it returns.
DSC02975.JPG
Artsy-ness...
DSC02976.JPG
As a part of the refurbishment of the Katsura Grill, the fairly new merchandise building directly across from Mitsukoshi was repurposed as a sake bar.
DSC02977.JPG
The Amasake Mist is a mix of sake, soda and flavorings to make a smoother drink for those that can't stomach sake straight up.
DSC02978.JPG
Two new merchandise carts have been added directly to the right of the sake bar.
DSC02979.JPG
It is like they knew TPR was watching!
DSC02981.JPG
Mo Rockin' is still playing strong!
DSC02987.JPG
The lower balcony of the France pavilion's waterfront area was open for the first time in a while, allowing for a great view of one of my favorite shows.
DSC02998.JPG
I love taking fireworks photos!
DSC03002.JPG
DSC03005.JPG
DSC03010.JPG
DSC03011.JPG
DSC03068.JPG
The following day, we returned to Epcot to walk the park and enjoy the atmosphere.
DSC03069.JPG
A better look at the old entrance ripped open.
DSC03070.JPG
The Via Napoli pizza window was open again with a limited menu.
DSC03071.JPG
A look at the menu...
DSC03072.JPG
DSC03074.JPG
We had other plans for dinner this evening... We wanted to eat at Via Napoli!
DSC03075.JPG
Considering how nice it was outside, it was a pleasant surprise to be seating in the indoor/outdoor patio section of the restaurant.
DSC03077.JPG
The Mezzo Metro Margherita Pizza was the perfect size for the three of us.
DSC03078.JPG
After dinner, we had some frozen margaritas in Mexico!
DSC03080.JPG
New signs in Future World were recently installed around the area, sporting a new look and color scheme that matches the recent changes of style (blue and green) to the two sides of Future World.
DSC03081.JPG
DSC03082.JPG
They sure beat the whirligigs!
DSC03083.JPG
DSC03084.JPG
A section of the entrance to the The Seas with Nemo & Friends was behind walls.
DSC03085.JPG
Cuttlefish!
DSC03086.JPG
He's sad he hasn't been featured in a SyFy movie yet.
DSC03093.JPG
The Seas has always been one of my favorite places to just walk around and enjoy.
DSC03096.JPG
A look at the "EAC" scene from outside.
DSC03097.JPG
A not-so-hidden Mickey.
DSC03105.JPG
April isn't too far off...
DSC03106.JPG
Will you miss the old Test Track or are you eager to see the new version?
DSC03107.JPG
Say goodbye to this logo, soon enough.
DSC03108.JPG
I wonder if this will find a place somewhere in the new attraction.
DSC03109.JPG
Some details I hadn't looked at in a while.
DSC03110.JPG
DSC03114.JPG
Most Disney fans will die a little if the "2, 5 and 7" line isn't referenced somewhere in the new attraction.
DSC03132.JPG
"Lai-Tow-Speed!!!"
DSC03137.JPG
I actually got to ride in one of the "new" cars. As of right now, the changes are purely cosmetic. The screens were the same, and the audio still sounded rough in the car I was in, but I'm sure they'll fix this before the ride reopens in its new form.
DSC03138.JPG
Only two of the "new" cars were on the track today, with a third sitting off to the side in the post-dispatch maintenance bay.
DSC03140.JPG
The car showcase currently features the Chevy Volt as the feature vehicle.
DSC03141.JPG
The future of Test Track is Chevrolet.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Interesting that they only had two new cars on the track - when I was there on Monday, there were probably five or six of them running. I got a ride in one, and just like you said, it's all cosmetic. But they do look nice!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:11 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/02/habit-heroes-exhibit-debuts-at-innoventions-at-epcot/

A new interactive exhibit, Habit Heroes presented by Florida Blue and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, debuted at Innoventions at Epcot today.

This new experience encourages children of all ages to learn healthy lifestyle habits and become more active. Guests can join forces with Habit Heroes Will Power and Callie Stenics to fight off villains like Sweet Tooth and The Snacker.

Two Habit Heroes even made a special in-person appearance today for the kick-off of the exhibit.

Can’t make it to Epcot? Kids can visit http://www.HabitHeroes.com to create their own avatar and learn how to fight bad habits.
hero123234LARGE.jpg
2her123234LARGE.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!