TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I'm eager to see how this compares with other coasters that are based on the same layout. Currently I have the Coney Island Cyclone ranked just above Viper. They're each good and bad in their own special ways (although Viper wasn't really "bad", just a bit underwhelming), and they're fairly high up on my list. This one sounds crazy, too.

If rides like the Voyage and the Coney Island Cyclone are any indication, the sections under the knife now are a perfect starting point for improvements. I'm sure many of my bones will be thanking the park later.

Looks good, thinking about going there next summer. I actually might ride this. Also, who else thinks that Rolling Thunder can use topper track. Especially on the turn around. This is what I feel.... or I feel like this is happening to me....

Topper track is basically a steel shell around the existing wood, right? If so, is a fully topper-tracked woodie still a woodie, really? It hasn't happened yet and it is less radical than Iron Horse, but if the car only touches steel, is it really still wood?

Topper track is basically a steel shell around the existing wood, right? If so, is a fully topper-tracked woodie still a woodie, really? It hasn't happened yet and it is less radical than Iron Horse, but if the car only touches steel, is it really still wood?

Wooden coaster only touch steel now. There are steel rail strips on top of, inside of, and under the track bed for the steel wheels to run on.

Here is the topper track from Cyclone at SFNE, you can see it's basically a layer of steel-ish material on top of all the normal layers of wood. It's definitely a gray area, but I think it's still in the "wooden" classification. Until they completely get rid of the layers of wood and replace it all with steel I-beam track (New Texas Giant), it's still wooden.

285041_526255892914_110300559_30456912_6233166_n.jpg

I rode Rattler last year with it's topper track on sections and that part was extremely smooth but the rest of it was just as rough and terrible. It is at the top of my worst wood coaster list, even with some topper track. I am hoping that they can retrack the majority of Cyclone with this. I will give it a ride once again this year to feel it out but I haven't ridden this coaster in the past few years because it had gotten so bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Six Flags Over Georgia has sent us a press release reporting record earnings in the year 2011!

On the heels of an extremely successful 2011 season, Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags White Water are gearing up for a monumental season in 2012. Today, Six Flags Entertainment Corporation, the parent company of the Atlanta-area parks, announced impressive earnings for 2011, reporting $350 million of Adjusted EBITDA1 in 2011 – the highest in company history.

“We are extremely excited to kick off the park’s 45th season here at Six Flags Over Georgia,” said Melinda Ashcraft, park president. “Throughout the years, our guests have supported our park, establishing Six Flags as a staple in the community. In little more than a year after restructuring, Six Flags is once again leading the regional theme park industry by focusing on what we do best – delivering thrills and fun to guests of all ages.”

Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags White Water are in the middle of a hiring spree to staff the more than 2,400 seasonal positions required to operate the parks, both located in Cobb County. Applications are still being accepted online at sixflagsjobs.com.

This summer, the theme park will debut a ground-breaking new show aptly named iLuminate™, featuring state-of-the-art costumes equipped with Electroluminescent (EL) wire and LEDs to provide a full sensory experience for guests. The show will run daily May 26 through August 12 in the famed Crystal Pistol Music Hall.

Six Flags White Water is bringing back the guest-favorite Dive-In Movies, a summertime event for families to relax at the Atlanta Ocean Wave Pool and catch the latest flicks on a giant screen. Dive-In Movies will be shown weekly during June and July.

Six Flags Over Georgia will kick off its 45th season on Saturday, March 17. The park will be open weekends through May 25, plus daily for Spring Break March 31 through April 8. Six Flags White Water kicks off the summer season on Saturday, May 19.

The theme park is currently offering an incredible deal on 2012 Season Passes, priced at just $54.99 each when you purchase 4 or more – the same price as a one-day admission ticket.

Investors can find additional information at sixflags.com/investors or by contacting the company’s investor relations department.

^I don't know if it is being taken out; maybe construction of their next attraction will cause it to have to be closed for a season. I do find it kind of interesting that the area where the train is now was where Deja Vu was once located, so they would have clearance to place something tall in that area.....you never know. I am excited to see whatever SFOG does next, though!