SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 126: Mako, floorless dive coaster announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby PAL » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm

The San Diego Union Tribune published a nice update on Manta today. I'm surprised no one has posted it yet. This is the construction update:

Here's the latest on the construction, according to SeaWorld spokesman Dave Koontz:

Track: A little more than half the half-mile-long track has been installed, with the remainder to be completed by the third week of February. The highest point from ground level is 30 feet, but because the park excavated to a depth of about 24 feet in one area, the maximum drop is 54 feet. In addition, 54 of the 96 columns supporting the track have been erected.

Loading station: This structure, where people first get on the ride, is 65 percent complete.

Entry bridge: The concrete was just poured for what will be the pathway leading to the line to get on the coaster or to reach the attraction's underwater viewing area.

Rock structure: Starting next week, workers will begin creating the 30-foot tall structure, meant to be the iconic entry for the new attraction. It's expected to take two months.

Bat ray aquarium The perimeter wall for the 100,000-gallon aquarium was poured in December, and the interior walls were completed last week. The plan is to begin installing the large acrylic windows next month. It won’t be filled with water for at least another month and an half.

There's more, including a photo of the Manta front car previously seen at IAAPA. Find it here: www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/18/seaworld-unveils-manta-themed-coaster-car/

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 am

SeaWorld San Diego has posted two new videos regarding their upcoming coaster Manta, which include details on pass holder ERT on the ride, the official opening date, and of course, a status update on the construction of the ride itself.

Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:46 am

I like the flexibility of the Manta ERT. It seems so convenient that you don't have to visit the park on a particular day, but instead, (apparently) any morning during the summer. I'm not inclined to buy a pass myself, but I'm all for the option. Personally, I'm willing to just make a credit stop if lines are crazy (attempting to re-ride if I like it enough and have ample time), maybe even skipping my old friend Journey to Atlantis if lines are long there too.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 pm

The track in the 2nd video reminds me of a Euro-Fighter. :p
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby empires » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Unfortunately it looks as though they're putting a trim brake just after the turn from the second launch, that would really suck!!!! can anyone confirm this?????

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Schotcher » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Probably just there in case, doesn't mean they're actually going to use them.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:25 pm

http://www.insideseaworld.com/electric-car-charging-stations-seaworld-san-diego

Here’s another “Going Green” enhancement at SeaWorld San Diego. We just installed 4 “Free” electric car charging units for our park guests in the parking lot! They are good for any 120 volt or 240 volt electric vehicles. We’ve already had several guests use the charging station and they work great!!

So, if you have an electric car and are helping reduce green house gases in the environment, you can now “top off your batteries” while visiting Shamu and his friends! Here is a quick video of the charging stations, now just bring on the electric vehicles!

408647_10150513209986855_70105691854_8688842_60745253_n-300x225.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby XYZ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Isn't 4 a little low, I know that there isn't many electric cars on the road and that Sea World wants to conserve on electricity, though millions of people are coming and only a little over a thousand will be using it. Though, I think it is a great idea.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Postby australianalex » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:55 am

Wow I completely forgot this was even being built lol, great to see it coming up fast!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby empires » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:36 pm

The park uploaded a video of the construction progress. It looks like the first launch is done and the show building has its structure. Not looking too bad thus far
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!