Darien Lake Discussion Thread

P. 745 - Six Flags Sky Screamer Announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: SbSteveZ and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: Darien Lake Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 am

http://godarienlake.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DL-New-Management.pdf

Darien Lake Theme & Water Park Resort (Darien Lake) has named Bob Montgomery as the park’s new vice president and general manager. Montgomery has been employed by Herschend Family Entertainment (HFE), the management company of Darien Lake, for over a decade. Prior to HFE, Montgomery worked as vice president of operations and development at LEGOLAND, director of operations at Toronto’s C.N. Tower and director of attractions at Canada’s Wonderland, the top two attractions in Canada.

Darien Lake also appoints marketing veteran and Rochester, New York, native Steve Hallowell as director of marketing. He has 25 years of marketing experience and a long tenure at Eastman Kodak Company in Rochester, most recently serving as director of consumer experience marketing.

“The combination of entertainment and accommodations offered at Darien Lake are unique in the industry, and I am excited about this opportunity,” said Montgomery. Prior to moving to Darien Lake, Montgomery worked at Wild Adventures, also an HFE property, as vice president and general manager. “The community has a lot of enthusiasm for Darien Lake, and I look forward to leading this great vacation destination, especially as we introduce three new family rides this year.”

In his new role, Montgomery oversees all aspects of the park. Chris Thorpe now serves as assistant general manager at the park, reporting directly to Montgomery. Thorpe is responsible for employee development and relations.

Steve Hallowell leads the marketing department with a unique local perspective. “I look forward to working with the marketing team and the Buffalo and Rochester communities to attract even more guests to our park and accommodations,” said Hallowell. “As a father of two teenage boys who love to visit the park with their friends, this job definitely promotes me to cool dad.”
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby noregrets » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Swiminn6 wrote:It is definitely not far from a thrill park! With the concerts, Ride of Steel, etc, it attracts a lot of the younger generations. Especially teens. In fact, the senior class at my school always takes their "senior skip day" there because of the thrill rides.

I agree, the park has a fair number of teen oriented rides and coasters, and the summer concerts are hugely popular with teens and twenty-somethings in my area (which is a three hour drive). There are definitely more thrills to be found here than in many other similarly sized parks.

The reason I like the new logo a lot more is because it's traditional and simple, I think a lot of the small lake-based parks in the northeast have that similar theme. The old in-your-face font and spaghetti coaster background made little sense. It was generic like all the six flags logos are.

I think it might be a bit of a stretch to say that they're going to theme the whole park somehow. It's in the middle of a bunch of cornfields and flat as a pancake, unlike Dollywood and SDC's interesting locations. Plus how do you theme ride of steel, which is huge and sits in a big grassy field, to deep woods canada?

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm

^Repaint and rename it, plant a bunch of trees, and add theming. Though that means I better go next year and get my fair share of parking lot pics if they actually do it. There's plenty of gorgeous views I can get that I haven't bothered with in the past three years.

I think this is a great start. Hopefully they will eventually add more to it so that there's more in the logo like Dollywood's butterfly and SDC's log and ax, once a theme is more established.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby noregrets » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Highly unlikely given how much it would cost to plant a forest, and with absolutely no return on the investment. It would probably increase maintenance costs a ton to do something like that.

Postby Tanks4me05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:44 pm

^Well, there won't be a direct return in investment: https://www.plantatreeusa.com/individual/myweb.php?hls=97 :p I was just referring to the possibility, not necessarily the practicality, of such a concept.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:53 pm

I feel like RoS could be retheamed as something patriotic. Perhaps add a tunnel or something. Also I'd think it would be cool if they added water cannons similar to maverick's on the straight away over the water.

Also, I want them to sell moto-coaster and put a themed El loco in its place... but that is just me.

Postby Tanks4me05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:38 pm

^The El Loco seems to be too big (I can't confirm that though; none of the parks that have El Locos have new enough imagery on Google Earth for me to measure them) and Darien Lake needs a family level coaster desperately. Moto Coaster is going to stay for a while, and frankly, I think it's a great coaster for a family ride, even if the restraints are somewhat uncomfortable.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:51 pm

DougMJr wrote:I feel like RoS could be retheamed as something patriotic.

I'm sure some would found it offensive and poor taste after the military veteran died last year.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

^I totally forgot about that... wow now I feel kinda horrible.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 am

And I was in agreement with that idea... :?r
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!