Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 958 - Kentucky Flyer POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Starbucks Enthusiast

Re: The Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby gisco » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:31 am

Having been involved with lawsuits before, this will take at least a year to resolve and probably longer if it goes to court. Mean while the park sits and rots.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby lilsam1993 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

CoryPa77 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure where Dominator would have went at KK, I've actually heard a number of things like the parking lot that was out in front of Chang's first turn would be given over to the park from the Fair Board for use. I'm not sure it was going to be Dominator's exact layout, but it was going to be a floorless.

Well, from what I've just heard Dominator was indeed made for Kentucky Kingdom. Dominator was supposed to be built in the vampire old spot as well as the squids dry slides spot. Steel Venom could as well been originally planed for the park as well. Looking at Dominator Design/map below, their is space for a impulse coaster right behind Dominator. Steel Venom would occupy the spot Greezed Lighting occupy today. It seems things changed as soon as Six Flags purchased Geauga Lake. So as soon as that happen, Six Flags quickly purchased Road Runner Express, and In 2001, Six Flags added Sky Coaster to fill the blank space in the park.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Re: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK) Discussion Thread

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Fits pretty snug in there, doesn't it?!
Not saying that I agree that the coaster was built for KK (Since I know nothing about this rumor), but something like it probably could fit in that space. I don't exactly know about the sizing of your copy/pasting there, but it looks like it could somehow fit.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby screaminkid2005 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Sad times, I really hope the fair board can some how find a way to reopen the park. If not, they should do what was previously stated and sell the rides and call it a day.

Postby lilsam1993 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:23 pm

The Kentucky General Assembly will start meeting tomorrow. Last summer the Fairbord and Louisville Politics said Kentucky Kingdom will be one of their top priority for the General Assembly in January 2012. IMO if everything goes well with the assembly, The Fairboard will chase Ed Hart. Realistically we all know no one is interested in the park but him. With Ed Hart, The state just needs to put up 20 million or, Louisville will put up 10, and the state would put up 10 million for a combine total of 20 million. Without him, the state will need to contribute 30 million I believe. That's only if the Al J. Schneider Cos didn't back out since Ed Harts departure. If the Al J. Schneider Cos backed out, the state will have to put up 50 million.

BTW, It will cost 50 million to demolish the park.

All in all, we will all here some big news about the park in a couple of days or weeks.

Postby lilsam1993 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Holiday World operating Kentucky Kingdom? Possible

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120116/NEWS01/301160090/Holiday-World-owners-may-seek-rights-to-operate-Kentucky-Kingdom?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

The owners of Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari in Southern Indiana said Monday they may seek rights to operate Kentucky Kingdom, the Kentucky Exposition Center amusement park that has been idle for more than two years.

Holiday World in Santa Claus, Ind., is owned by the Koch family, which issued a statement Monday in response to an inquiry by the website InsiderLouisville.com about their interest in operating Kentucky Kingdom. “Over the years, the Kochs have explored numerous opportunities for growing their business,” the statement said. “When Kentucky Kingdom’s lease was not renewed, the Kochs expressed interest in learning more about options for the park’s future. “The process is still in the fact-finding stage; no decisions have been made by the Kochs whether to further pursue this opportunity.”

In an interview Monday afternoon, Paula Werne, a spokeswoman for Holiday World and the Koch family, said she was not aware that the Kochs had made any offer to take over Kentucky Kingdom, a move that would require the Kentucky State Fair Board to approve a lease. “We are working through the process, getting answers to all the questions we have,” she said. She was reluctant to elaborate beyond the prepared statement, but said negotiations with Kentucky officials would not have any impact on Holiday World.

Harold Workman, Kentucky State Fair Board president, was not available for comment Monday, a state government holiday. But he said in an interview Friday that he could not comment on any negotiations involving Kentucky Kingdom. Workman, however, did say that reopening the amusement park is the fair board’s top priority. And even though state budget constraints currently appear extreme, getting the 2012 General Assembly to approve $20 million to upgrade Kentucky Kingdom remains the fair board’s No. 1 legislative priority, Workman said.

Kentucky Kingdom has remained closed since the former operator, Six Flags, announced two years ago that it was abandoning the park amid a bankruptcy filing. It hasn’t operated since it closed in October 2009.

The fair board then granted businessman Ed Hart the rights to try to work out a deal to reopen Kentucky Kingdom. Hart owned Kentucky Kingdom for about a decade prior to 2000.

After more than a year of talks with the fair board, Hart said last fall he was on the verge of arranging $23 million in bank loans to cover the lion’s share of the cost to reopen the park, and the Al J. Schneider Cos. had agreed to guarantee up to $20 million of Hart’s debt.

Workman, however, said abruptly in late September that the fair board was ending talks with Hart. He maintained that Hart wanted revenue guarantees from the state that it was unable to meet.

Getting Kentucky Kingdom reopened has also been a top goal of city officials, including Metro Council members, mainly because the park provided about 1,000 summer jobs, chiefly for young people. The park also served as a major tax generator for state and local governments.

The Kochs have invested heavily in Holiday World in recent years. In May it is scheduled to open the Mammoth, promoted as the world’s longest water coaster.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:26 pm.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Sign me up for the season pass that includes both parks. Timberliners on Thunder Run too? Yes please.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 pm

That would be pretty cool, but I really don't think they want that space, nor would they want to work with the KSFB (KY state Fair Board).
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm

lilsam1993 wrote:
CoryPa77 wrote:
I'm not exactly sure where Dominator would have went at KK, I've actually heard a number of things like the parking lot that was out in front of Chang's first turn would be given over to the park from the Fair Board for use. I'm not sure it was going to be Dominator's exact layout, but it was going to be a floorless.

Well, from what I've just heard Dominator was indeed made for Kentucky Kingdom. Dominator was supposed to be built in the vampire old spot as well as the squids dry slides spot. Steel Venom could as well been originally planed for the park as well. Looking at Dominator Design/map below, their is space for a impulse coaster right behind Dominator. Steel Venom would occupy the spot Greezed Lighting occupy today. It seems things changed as soon as Six Flags purchased Geauga Lake. So as soon as that happen, Six Flags quickly purchased Road Runner Express, and In 2001, Six Flags added Sky Coaster to fill the blank space in the park.

I think that's the reason why they cancelled the T2/Chang retheme. Cause they were gonna add a new Batman coaster rather than retheme.
I don't think Steel Venom could've gone there. The park has major height limits.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Kafka » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Not sure how i feel about this one honestly. On one hand id love to see this park up and running again just because of the fact that its within driving distance of where I live and the fact that the Koch family has done wonders with Holiday World. On the other, I can see the KYSFB being a massive hindrance to them. Im sure if it does get settled then the result will be positive due to the amount of care that goes into HW.

-Kafka-

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!