TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

My guess would also be GCI (great price point and custom layouts), although I can't help but suspect that the layout will be wildly modified, if not outright different than the one proposed a few years back.

Why? That'd be pointless. The old layout was totally designed and ready to go. Why not build it the way it was originally intended?

My guess would also be GCI (great price point and custom layouts), although I can't help but suspect that the layout will be wildly modified, if not outright different than the one proposed a few years back.

Why? That'd be pointless. The old layout was totally designed and ready to go. Why not build it the way it was originally intended?

Plus, why spend more money on a "wildly modified, if not outright different (design) than the one proposed a few years back" if you already had one, ready to go, just waiting to be installed? Unless it was way better then that just seems like a total waste of time and money.

Unless those noise concerns and neighbor issues have been solved (maybe they have been), that would be my reasoning.

Yeah, they complicate things I would imagine, but the park could always build a giant, ugly-ass sound wall for them to look at so they won't be bothered by the noise and distraction of people having a good time. But, that just adds more time, design, and money to the project. I think they should do it, it would help quiet things and maybe the complaining might go away.

Yeah, they complicate things I would imagine, but the park could always build a giant, ugly-ass sound wall for them to look at so they won't be bothered by the noise and distraction of people having a good time. But, that just adds more time, design, and money to the project. I think they should do it, it would help quiet things and maybe the complaining might go away.

The day somebody doesn't whine incessantly in the Bay area is the day hell freezes over. There is -always- something to offend people there, no matter how small, trivial, minute or inconsequential...

^Unfortunately, I think the office buildings would probably STILL complain, but this time about the ugly-ass sound wall outside their windows.

Ayup. And now they can't get any sun, and that they have to deal with some bizarre complaint that nobody every has heard before, but their lawyers said they have it.

Didn't Santa Clara appeal the case of the office buildings not wanting the GCI coaster being built?

Actually: The case of the GCI coaster being built was completely resolved... in 2008. However, Cedar Fair put the coaster on hold for fiscal concerns, and the initial permits for construciton expired. In order for them to build the new GCI, they will have to go through most of the application for noise/height variations again- from about 1/3rd the way through the process.

Santa Clara can still derail the project during round two: They lost the vote in 2008 by ONE vote- and the SCCC is now made up of different members, so it's an uphill battle all the way (yet again.) In this case, however, the SCCC needs to be petitioned -heavily- in order to start considering the votes- and that may be a place where you, I, and everyone else should consider e-mailing the people on the SCCC board WHEN and IF the permit process begins the second time.

Let's look at something positive...something retro....something like.... Schwarzkopf greatness!

So basically, I was given this customer order at work today that I had to edit out the bad spots on their old VHS tapes. Scrubbing through kids playing soccer, it cuts to a new scene. In the new scene, I see a familiar wave-like wall, outlined with lights. I scrub further down the timeline and lo and behold: Tidal Wave! I only know it's from our park since you can briefly see the star tower in the background sans the flag and sans the additional 100 feet (not shown in the edited clip since I didn't want to capture anyone's faces). So, here we have it, some decently shot (for the most part) offride Tidal Wave greatness!

And random useless CGA fact. Who Knew? The surrounding ponds near/across from Endeavor/Revolution had Koi in them back then. Also shown was the Fiddler's Fling ride in it's blue/grey color scheme and roofs. Yes, it sounded the same back then as it does now!

Let's look at something positive...something retro....something like.... Schwarzkopf greatness!

So basically, I was given this customer order at work today that I had to edit out the bad spots on their old VHS tapes. Scrubbing through kids playing soccer, it cuts to a new scene. In the new scene, I see a familiar wave-like wall, outlined with lights. I scrub further down the timeline and lo and behold: Tidal Wave! I only know it's from our park since you can briefly see the star tower in the background sans the flag and sans the additional 100 feet (not shown in the edited clip since I didn't want to capture anyone's faces). So, here we have it, some decently shot (for the most part) offride Tidal Wave greatness!

And random useless CGA fact. Who Knew? The surrounding ponds near/across from Endeavor/Revolution had Koi in them back then. Also shown was the Fiddler's Fling ride in it's blue/grey color scheme and roofs. Yes, it sounded the same back then as it does now!

For some reason I want to say there were gumball machines with fish food to feed the koi but I may be mistaken. Tidal Wave was one of my favorites along with the Whizzer. There's a community center in Santa Clara next to Kiely Park across the street from where Kaiser hospital used to be, and in the lobby they used to have an old model of the park (about 5 foot by 5 foot on a platform and covered by plexi). This was over 20 years ago though, so I don't know if they still do.

Edited by D00mM4r1n3

I would be surprised if anything was added.

But if it is, it better be added before I go there next!

EDIT: Assuming they will get a new attraction, where would it go? In the old Invertigo spot? If so, what? A EuroFighter or something else compact may work. I'm sure everyone would go bananas over the whole 1st 90+ degree drop on the West Coast thing.

If I was to build something in CGA, not the woodie and not a large coaster, but something unique, I would build a B&M Wing Rider. Make it around 150' tall or so and advertise of how it is the first of the kind in the West Coast.

Oops, I'm dreaming.

Even a Eurofughter can be advertised as the steepest and the first ride of its kind on the west coast.

I guess the steepest drop would be advertised well, though if CGA was going to get a Euro-Fighter, at least make it a bit better than Dare Devil Dive. DDD is a nice coaster, though it needs more force (Top Gun force) to it.

New parking and lease details. CGA's not going anywhere for 60 years, apparently:

Great America finally agrees to 49ers stadium in Santa Clara, for a big price

Ending a contentious four-year battle over parking for a new 49ers stadium, Great America on Friday agreed to allow the team and Santa Clara to build the home field on one of its smaller lots and let fans park next door.

But it's going to cost the local football franchise $12.5 million -- and the city will likely lose future revenue, too.

The deal is essentially the last and most significant piece needed to solve a stadium parking puzzle, and finally resolves the theme park's steadfast opposition to giving up its land for stadium construction.

As part of the deal, Cedar Fair, which owns Great America, agreed to drop its long-standing lawsuit that sought to block the $1 billion project. The company will allow the stadium to be built on its overflow parking lot, and will relinquish its main lot to allow fans to park and tailgate between the roller coasters and the field.

Santa Clara, which owns the land under the theme park, has agreed to give up untold revenue by allowing Great America to keep more theme park profits during boom years. In addition, the city will offer the company a cheaper lease extension that would keep the amusement park open for the next 60 years.

The question of where fans will park when the stadium opens in 2014 or 2015 has long been a major pain for project leaders and a source of concern for project opponents who think fans will clog city streets on game days.

With Cedar Fair's opposition gone, officials say they can begin construction within a year as long as the NFL approves $150 million for the plan, as expected. A group of residents strongly opposed to the project is gathering signatures over the next two weeks, however, in an attempt to send the plan back to the ballot box for a second time.

The deal, which the City Council is expected to approve Tuesday, caps more than four years of closed-door negotiations and courtroom battles.

"Nothing great is easy. But this is great, and it's been challenging all the way along," said Mayor Jamie Matthews. "Having this checked off on our list of things that need to be done ... is a great relief. It's a fair deal between all parties involved."

During NFL game days, 49ers fans will have access to the lion's share of the Great America parking lot, which after a renovation is expected to be left with 6,500 to 7,000 spaces. The company and team will split the lot during non-NFL events at the stadium.

The lot would provide about 30 percent of the 19,000 parking spots expected to be available within walking distance of the 68,500-seat stadium. The rest would come from two nearby city garages, Mission College and adjacent businesses, while some fans are expected to ride public transit to the game or carpool.

"This is one more positive step for the stadium," said 49ers spokesman Steve Weakland. "If approved, it will be great news for our fans."

City officials don't expect the shrinkage of the Great America lot to affect theme park patrons, noting the overflow lot has been perpetually empty.

Officials at Ohio-based Cedar Fair could not be reached for comment late Friday.

Great America will keep its $5.3 million rent to the city flat through 2039, as has been planned.

But the city also takes a portion of Great America's profits when park revenue exceeds $56 million.

Under the agreement, starting in the next decade the park could keep its profits until it hits well past $64 million in revenue if Great America makes $10 million in capital improvements. The park, however, has been struggling lately and hasn't hit the revenue benchmark in five years.

What's more, starting in 2039, the city will allow the theme park to extend the lease and pay rent of only $5.7 to $6.3 million annually through 2074, or a smaller increase than anticipated under normal market conditions.

City leaders say the lost revenue will be a worthwhile exchange for the parking rights, noting they'll make money from the parking and that they hope the stadium project as a whole will be a boon for city finances.

Finally, the deal also calls for the 49ers to pay $250,000 in public safety costs to the city immediately, a payment that had been scheduled for opening day.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_19692990

Interesting quote here:

Under the agreement, starting in the next decade the park could keep its profits until it hits well past $64 million in revenue if Great America makes $10 million in capital improvements.

City to Cedar Fair: Add new rides.

Interesting quote here:

Under the agreement, starting in the next decade the park could keep its profits until it hits well past $64 million in revenue if Great America makes $10 million in capital improvements.

City to Cedar Fair: Add new rides.

Not only did I just discover a possibility of epic new hotness, I got my 100th post!

I really hope that this means we will finally see a new ride in the park for 2013 season. Hopefully we can find out sooner rather than later, and hopefully that ride is a new coaster for the park.

Edited by robman