TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

There's rumor that Darien Lake is going to be getting rid of Raging Seas, The Mack Sea Storm ride that has been with the park since 1981.

NOOOOOO! That's one of the rides I look forward to most when I go to Darien Lake. I know it hasn't looked great and there have always been one or two "boats" broken but that is a very unique ride you don't find in American parks.

^ MarineLand is in Canada so that's not a real competitor to Darien Lake since MarineLand is more like Canada's answer to Sea World except there's only one park and its mascot a walrus and not a killer whale.

All right back to Darien Lake and the subject of thier new family rides for 2012, here are my wild guesses.

. A spinning family coaster

. A Zamperla Rocking Tug ride

. A Zamperla Disk-O ride

^ MarineLand is in Canada so that's not a real competitor to Darien Lake since MarineLand is more like Canada's answer to Sea World except there's only one park and its mascot a walrus and not a killer whale.

It's just as close to the closest major city (Buffalo) as is Darien Lake. Don't Marineland commercials even run on the American television stations? They are still competitors.

I've seen Marineland billboards while on my way to Martin's Fantasy Island, which I would consider the closest competitor to Darien Lake. While not in the same league as Darien, Martin's could really be great competition if they continue to add new attractions like they have been doing and working to improve the park.

I heard that they are also going to move ranger to a different section of the park. Darien Lake saids that all the plans are not finalized and an adnoucement sould be made in March, according to DL Facebook post. Also, heard that there is going to be No show to replace what was where the sea lions were.

Now, I want to know where they plan on placing theses new rides and what ride(s) they are removing, if any?

I assume that anonymouscactus got it from here:

http://amusementgraffixintl.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1651&start=25

Unfortunately, you have to be registered at the website to log in (I'm not advertising for the site; just providing evidence)

To summarize the topic if you are not a member or if you are not willing to register: They are not "official" documents per se, but these were text and images compiled from an actual park survey done a little while ago. The official announcement will be in March. He (username = "good_life") claims, however, that he was told by one of the higher up staff as to what the rides were and he won't completely spill the beans, but he decided to "tease a little" as to what they were since this was technically public information already. He also mentioned the following three things that were also possibilities:

1: The adult ticket price would be lowered to $29.99

2: The new rides would be put near the scrambler (for those who haven't been to Darien Lake before, that's in the south east corner of the park, between Viper and Mind Eraser if you want to look it up on Google Earth)

3: Another unexpected ride might be removed for these additions.

I'm still skeptical as to whether or not these are similar to what they really are. And based on the description of Moose on the Loose, I think that that would be more of an kiddie monorail ride similar to that "Snoopy's Rocket Express" that was just recently put into Dorney Park's renovated Planet Snoopy, but that is only me taking a guess based upon the sketch and the "bigger than a kiddie ride but not quite a coaster" part of the description. Frankly, I think that if these rides were to be built, they would be a great addition to the park. For those who haven't been to Darien Lake, the park has very few choices where adults can ride with their little kids that are in the 36" range. These have a nice theme that I have a feeling will work quite well for the park as Herschend begins to give the park some sort of theme to start bringing it up to par with Dollywood and SDC.

If this is indeed what's coming to Darien Lake then I like it even though two of the three attractions are rides I won't be able to ride.

Based on the possibilities and rumors if they are true:

Putting these attractions by Scrambler makes sense since you have the Brain Teaser kiddie coaster right there and even though Grizzly Run is in the same area the creation of a second kids/family area would make sense considering that Adventureland kid's area is a bit small and cramped.

Could the possible removal of Raging Seas make way for a relocated Scrambler and is Ranger on its way out? I can't see them relocating that ride.

• 3 weeks later...