TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^^I believe one of the IAAPA videos posted confirmed that there will be only one train. What this will mean for capacity, I'm not entirely sure, but my bet is that a realistic maximum is around 200 people per hour (20 dispatches per hour would be 240 if each train was full, and I can't see more than that with SFDK's operations).

Who wants to bet that S:UF will become the X2 of SFDK with at the park's opening a gazillion people all rushing to its entrance?

At least there will be less lines on all the other rides if the line on Superman is extremely long.

This is all my fault. Shame on me!

I don't know if this has been said before, but is it certain that there won't be a transfer table for Superman Ultimate Flight (like Mr. Freeze)?

I'd suspect it doesn't due to the total lack of a transfer assembly for the platform... which if they could do a transfer track, they could do a 'flip' style loading like the Mr.Freeze coaster...

Either way, this ride has earned "THE MOST CRAPTACULAR CRAPACITY RIDE OF 2012!" award.

Premier thought of using the transfer system. But they figured that the time it would take them to transfer the train would be longer then just 1 train.

^ In the fifth IAAPA video they said it was Six Flags who ordered one train for the ride and Premier thought it would it include a transfer track as it'd be perfect for the ride.

Premier thought of using the transfer system. But they figured that the time it would take them to transfer the train would be longer then just 1 train.

The former I could agree with completely... as it's the type of decision we've all come to love and cherish from the fine folks at SFHQ.

The latter... notsomuch. Look at the Mr. Freeze coasters, with their transfer and launch system. Such a development for SFDK/S:UF would have been a brilliant idea, considering the -whopping 12 people every two minutes system they'll be dealing with now.

(This is -one- time I'm thankful that I'm handicrapped... as I don't have to stand in the sixteen hour line to ride it!)

Premier Rides has sent us a press release announcing their involvement in Superman: Ultimate Flight, coming to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2012.

Premier Rides is announcing it has been selected to design and manufacture the newest high-thrill roller coaster for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, California. The ride, created in a partnership between Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Premier Rides, is slated to open in the spring of 2012.

This custom layout, a one-of-a-kind super launch coaster, features the tallest inversion west of the Mississippi and will rank alongside the tallest coaster inversions in the world. At 150 feet high, riders will experience lightning speeds of 62 miles per hour, with two upside-down twists and two vertical rolls.

“We’re excited to bring this caliber of ride to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom,” said Park President Dale Kaetzel. “We believe that Premier Rides’ new attraction will satisfy even the most fearless thrill-seekers, and then some.”

Brightly painted in a vibrant blue, red, and yellow, the steel coaster will be visible from California’s Highway 37 and beyond from its location on the eastern side of the park.

Jim Seay, president of Premier Rides, commented, “We are very pleased to have been selected to design and build this one-of-a-kind attraction and are honored to once again be a part of Six Flags’ formula for success.”

180602675_Superman-UltimateFlightCoaster.jpg.ae082655b8d92cbb7aadbae32cfbd22d.jpg

The capacity of this ride worries me. I can see this getting an entry in the Longest wait in Line thread when it opens.

I hate waiting for Tony Hawk too, which is pretty much the same capacity. I hope this ride is worth waiting for though, Tony Hawk is a cool ride but for a more than 25+ wait.

With Roar & Kong only using two trains from late jun-August for as long as I can remember, the lines in this park always suck. Weekdays & Christmas time are only times I go.

With that crew it wouldn't matter cause they would stack all 3 trains every cycle and that third train would sit in the safety brakes for 3 minutes.

Though, at least the 3rd train will try to "push" the ride-ops to work faster.

As someone with a ride operations background, I believe that ops that do not care about efficiency with two trains running will not care with three running. However, I know I always hustled even more when we were running two trains instead of one. They key is finding people that care. Medusa (and throw in Superman as a close second since it will be the new hotness next year) should be the all-stars of ride operators at the park. I don't know how SFDK divides the park, but the best of the best should be operating the star rides.

Hopefully, they will use Medusa's 3rd train next year.

I have only visited the park ONE time where the thirld train actually did make a difference. Other than that, it made no difference. In fact, the first time I saw them add the third train, it was simply a waste of time, as it took 15 minutes just to be able to add on the third train, and, at the end of the ride, I sat on the two final block brakes for about a total of nearly 3.5 minutes. So, adding on the thrid train actually wasted 18.5 minutes of my life, while costing the park money.

Spend more money to slow down lines. Yup, that's Six Flags!

If this rides anything like how I think it will, I would carry the pieces of track from Maryland (or wherever Premier fabricates their rides) barefoot and during a harsh winter to the plot of land once occupied.*

*On the condition that a Freeze style dual loading station is included.

As someone with a ride operations background, I believe that ops that do not care about efficiency with two trains running will not care with three running. However, I know I always hustled even more when we were running two trains instead of one. They key is finding people that care. Medusa (and throw in Superman as a close second since it will be the new hotness next year) should be the all-stars of ride operators at the park. I don't know how SFDK divides the park, but the best of the best should be operating the star rides.

True, since Roar, Kong, and V2 have really good ride-ops and release the train rather quickly.

Hopefully, they will use Medusa's 3rd train next year.

I have only visited the park ONE time where the thirld train actually did make a difference. Other than that, it made no difference. In fact, the first time I saw them add the third train, it was simply a waste of time, as it took 15 minutes just to be able to add on the third train, and, at the end of the ride, I sat on the two final block brakes for about a total of nearly 3.5 minutes. So, adding on the thrid train actually wasted 18.5 minutes of my life, while costing the park money.

Spend more money to slow down lines. Yup, that's Six Flags!

That's very true about the operation of Medusa's third train, but I don't get how running the third train will cost the park more money.

No only should the best be placed at the star rides, they should also be paid more to hustle, if they don't perform, they get knocked down to kiddie train detail. One should also have to prove themselves on the lessor rides and compete for the promotion. But that's just my opinion

While I understand that money is tight for many companies at the moment--and I certainly respect the effort SF is making to produce new attractions, even despite the tough economic times--I'm not a fan of the recent influx of low capacity rides at SF parks; and, I think this decision might not work to the company's advantage.

Obviously, SF has long discussed the need to save money. Shapiro's money saving approach seemed to be inundating parks with new children's areas and attractions; now, Reid-Anderson seems to be focusing on returning to the company's more habitual coaster / thrill ride additions, albeit with a more compact design, lower capacity, and--thus--lower cost. I suppose the company hopes that their ride "transformations" and pint-sized coaster additions (GL, SUF, etc.) will have the same drawing effect as a Tatsu or El Toro without the same cost.

While GL delivers a great ride experience, its pathetic capacity does not go unnoticed. The line moves at a painful, glacial pace--and every time I stand in line, I never fail to hear a few guests commenting on how, "the line is moving so slowly." Once, as two guests were walking down the exit stairs, I overheard them commenting on how the ride was great, but that they would never wait in that "terrible" line again. And I have to agree; the line is terrible. Last Sunday, when the park was practically empty, I still waited a full 55 minutes for GL (the line looked short, but you took a step forward every five minutes; it made Deja Vu look like a capacity king).

So, while these new attractions may work to get people into the park initially, I really believe that these rides' capacities negatively impact guests' overall enjoyment of them. SUF doesn't look to be an exception... How much good are these attractions really doing when the slow moving lines only seem to aggravate guests?