Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby Dailey Enterprizes » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:09 pm

I wonder if the old Swingaround would fit in that spot?

Then again I'd like to see it back at the lagoon and something equally extreme as Pitt Fall going in its old spot. Weren't there Flyers in that spot at one point?
swingaround1.jpg

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby djw44 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:07 pm

I'll definitely have to check out the event then! Sounds great!
You may be, my lucky star! I'm the luckiest by far!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:28 pm

There were flyers there at one point, yes. Whatever is going in Pitt Fall's spot is larger than Swing Around, though, based on the markers I've seen.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_771421.html

The Pitt Fall drop tower ride at Kennywood amusement park is on its way down.

Construction crews began dismantling the 251-foot-high black-and-yellow tower Friday morning and plan to finish the job next week.

The ride was installed in the park in 1997. Kennywood put the tower on the market back in June and says it will soon make an announcement about what will replace it, probably next week.

Park spokesman Jeff Filicko said the teardown began a little ahead of schedule. He said the company taking down the tower, Maxim Crane Works, had indicated it could take all of Friday to set up for the job after arriving on site Thursday.

Some accommodations had to be made to get the cranes for the job into position, including the temporary removal of several park lamp posts.

Filicko said there are three prospective buyers interested in the Pitt Fall. Kennywood has confirmed that it is not being retained by any of the amusement parks owned by its parent company, Palace Entertainment.

Filicko said the park plans to replace the Pitt Fall with a new attraction that will at first appear "unassuming," but predicted the next ride's "height and dynamic are more impressive than you'd think."

Filicko said the park has received some unfavorable feedback for its decision to remove the tower but said it wasn't getting as much ridership as other rides.

Filicko said the park's new Holiday Lights seasonal celebration exceeded attendance expectations when it premiered last weekend. The holiday event continues today, tomorrow, Friday and Dec. 17 and 18, from 5-9 p.m.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 am

As much as these towers scare the bejeesus out of me, I am going to miss it and the views from up there. Anyone gonna get pics of deconstruction?
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:42 am

One down... 58 to go.

Seriously though- that location was fine for a freefall tower, but it's kind of land-locked as far as anything other than a flat is concerned. If they're going after a high-thrill attraction, there is a limited stockade of rides that would fit the site.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:09 am

Filicko said the park plans to replace the Pitt Fall with a new attraction that will at first appear "unassuming," but predicted the next ride's "height and dynamic are more impressive than you'd think."

Hmmm...sounds like a Star Flyer to me. Perhaps not a record breaker, but one like at Fantasy Island (140') where it doesn't look bad from the ground, but would be a lot more intimidating being on top of the hill overlooking the river with those tiny-ass chairs and chains.

Yep, I'm going all in with Star Flyer.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:14 am

Haven't they said that they didn't want something like that because they're close enough to Cedar Point that they wouldn't want a similar experience?

I definitely think a giant frisbee is possible - they built the Screamin' Swing at Liseberg on the mountain and over three parallel coaster tracks. Plus, imagine swinging out over the hill, rotating, and suddenly looking down way farther than you were at the other end of the swing. Thrilling!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:41 am

eddie200330 wrote:Anyone gonna get pics of deconstruction?

We have some pictures from inside and outside the park as well as a video over on the Kennywood Connection Facebook if anyone is interested.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby rckrazy06 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:51 am

Some people over at Kennywood Connection, who I'm pretty sure has reliable sources, are throwing around the phrase "BLACK WIDOW". Whether this is a ride theme, ride name, or a code name, I'm not sure. They also mention that the ride and its name has been released already, it just requires some looking.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!