TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I remember them saying something "special" and "unlike any other ride nearby" so I am thinking something more nostalgic? The whole "we don't do rides like people nearby" thing is kinda different than adding a screamin swing after Cedar Point added it. But by their logic that knocks out a Frisbee ride because of MaxAir.

Kennywood actually announced SwingShot before Skyhawk so technically Kennywood had the "first" large Screamin' Swing in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

So, with all the 2012 coaster chat going on in the forums, let's flatline a bit and bring back the flat!

Screamscape reports that Pitt Fall is starting to be taken down with the latest replacement rumor having them go back to Zamperla for a very awesome ride...a co-designed Zamperla/ Soriani Giant Discovery frisbee. Some of us rode one of these at Tusenfryd when it was a new installation back in 2009. It looked really impressive.

Any thoughts? Will they ever get another drop tower?

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

Yes, we do know it's not Huss because Kennywood confirmed to me (Kennywood Connection) on 11/29 that it will not be Huss and I posted it on our forums. I guess someone on our forums emailed Lance about it. We should be heading out to the park to get some pictures / video when they do take the tower down.

In other news, Kennywood Connection was at the Holiday Lights preview night last night... and I don't think it will disappoint! We've posted a bunch of pictures as well as a short video of one of two 15 minute light shows they'll be showing. They will alternate every 30 minutes.

Pictures:

Video:

I don't see how a Zamperla ride would be more reliable than a Huss ride. When I worked at Dorney Park they had constantly had to be in contact with Zamperla regarding Meteor and other zamperla rides that I cannot think of at this moment.

Those who rode it, how does the Giant Discovery compare to the Huss Giant Frisbee? Cedar Point's MaxAir is actually my favorite flat ride, mainly due to the airtime, do you get a similar/better experience on the Zamperla version?

I liked the Zamperla one quite a lot more. It's faster, higher, longer ridecycle and changes direction of the spin multiple times during the ride. The settings of Tusenfryd's one might have had something to do with the feel of height tough..

I'm sorry but the "Giant discovery" does not look appealing. All the videos I've seen of "Spin Spider" show it's off wall random rotation to only happen at the peaks of the swings, other wise it looks way slow, and it rotates direction very again said "off walled" There is no consistency in the spinning.

It's bittersweet - I have memories of my 13 and 14 year old self screaming it's brains out on Pitt Fall. My uncle commented on it and he said he never really liked the ride because four times out of five they could never get the OTSR down far enough for him to ride.

Pitt Fall - you were great. Thanks for being my 1st 2nd gen Intamin freefall.

I was at the Holiday event this past Saturday... It was really, really nice. I was suprised for a first time event how well done it was. I got pictures from it I will post later tonight hopefully.

It was very busy as well. I can see this expanding next year already into a larger area of the park (and hopefully more rides, like the turtle!).

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/dailynewsmckeesport/s_771421.html

The Pitt Fall drop tower ride at Kennywood amusement park is on its way down.

Construction crews began dismantling the 251-foot-high black-and-yellow tower Friday morning and plan to finish the job next week.

The ride was installed in the park in 1997. Kennywood put the tower on the market back in June and says it will soon make an announcement about what will replace it, probably next week.

Park spokesman Jeff Filicko said the teardown began a little ahead of schedule. He said the company taking down the tower, Maxim Crane Works, had indicated it could take all of Friday to set up for the job after arriving on site Thursday.

Some accommodations had to be made to get the cranes for the job into position, including the temporary removal of several park lamp posts.

Filicko said there are three prospective buyers interested in the Pitt Fall. Kennywood has confirmed that it is not being retained by any of the amusement parks owned by its parent company, Palace Entertainment.

Filicko said the park plans to replace the Pitt Fall with a new attraction that will at first appear "unassuming," but predicted the next ride's "height and dynamic are more impressive than you'd think."

Filicko said the park has received some unfavorable feedback for its decision to remove the tower but said it wasn't getting as much ridership as other rides.

Filicko said the park's new Holiday Lights seasonal celebration exceeded attendance expectations when it premiered last weekend. The holiday event continues today, tomorrow, Friday and Dec. 17 and 18, from 5-9 p.m.

Filicko said the park plans to replace the Pitt Fall with a new attraction that will at first appear "unassuming," but predicted the next ride's "height and dynamic are more impressive than you'd think."

Hmmm...sounds like a Star Flyer to me. Perhaps not a record breaker, but one like at Fantasy Island (140') where it doesn't look bad from the ground, but would be a lot more intimidating being on top of the hill overlooking the river with those tiny-ass chairs and chains.

Yep, I'm going all in with Star Flyer.

Haven't they said that they didn't want something like that because they're close enough to Cedar Point that they wouldn't want a similar experience?

I definitely think a giant frisbee is possible - they built the Screamin' Swing at Liseberg on the mountain and over three parallel coaster tracks. Plus, imagine swinging out over the hill, rotating, and suddenly looking down way farther than you were at the other end of the swing. Thrilling!