Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did my donkey title just change???

Re: New RFID "Turnstile-less" Entry System in place at Epcot

Postby timfreeman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:07 am

back on topic....

magnetic strip is bad....

RFID is good....

:)

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby BelizeIt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 am

This is a great idea!

Leave it to the Theme Park Masters to take it to the next level. Disney has made the leap forward towards innovative technologies. These tags open up endless possibilities, which I hope Disney uses to their full extent.

Yes, it will expedite the entry process. (Those strollers ALWAYS slow everything down!!!)

But, if they incorporate everything else, (like Fastpasses) all the better, I have no problem with that.

Also, if 'Hotel' guests get some addition perks, well good for them! These people are spending large amounts to stay at these hotels, so I have no problem with that. If I was staying at a WDW hotel, then yes I would like the same.

As a passholder to the Disneyland/DCA resort, I wouldn't have any issues with a hotel guest getting a little VIP treatment. An example would be the redue of Star Tours, whereas Fastpasses would often run out by noon, guests at the Disney hotels could get exclusive fastpasses well into the evenings.

This represents the future of the industry, I'm glad that Robb and Elissa had the chance to view it first hand on this trip. This is typical of TPR, keeping us all up to date!

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby jcgoldcoast » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:59 am

Just a thought on the fast pass 'issue' - what if the RFID system knew how many were in your party - one person could get a fast pass for any or all members of their party? Saves collecting up all the tickets/wristbands and means there is only one person per party in the fast pass queue!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:41 am

^that would be cool, but they could have implemented that with the magnetic cards as well. RFID is just more reliable.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby dominoes » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:43 am

This has probably already been brought up, but isn't it pretty easy to just get into the park without a ticket?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:00 pm

^What are you talking about?

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby jonnyfingers » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:12 pm

^I presume he means that there are no turnstiles to stop you.

But to answer his question I'd imagine cast members would be monitoring the gates and stop anyone that doesn't scan their RFID tag.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby timfreeman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Visited again today to see how they handle a crowd. We'll ignore the cluster at the security line as that should not be in place for go live. For the entrance, they had a line for each side of the "V". They had 2 cast members forming the lines with a roamer between the two. They were also explaining how to use the new entrance. At the actual mouse heads, they had 2 more people helping. Then at the entrance clearing they had 1 more person making sure everyone was legit. None of these guys looked like management or observers, so I'm assuming this is how they are looking to implement this. That's 6 people for 8 "turnstiles", so at least to begin, there won't be a decrease in jobs. :) The line keepers would only let 4 people go at a time (if your family was larger than 4, they'd let you all go). Once they cleared, they'd send 4 more. Using this setup, technically, the line would move 4 times faster (not counting stroller time or issues).

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Earlier this week I stopped by Epcot to check out the holiday decorations for the Holidays around the World. A good deal has changed in the park since the Food & Wine Festival ended, and now the holidays are truly in full swing at the park.
DSC00028.JPG
The RFID entry system has since been closed off for reconfiguration, opening briefly in different layouts several times in the last two weeks.
DSC00034.JPG
The entrance planter now features several character topiaries.
DSC00038.JPG
The flower art behind Spaceship Earth now features a holiday Mickey.
DSC00040.JPG
The Hub's new tip board still looks great, and now features artwork from the Holidays around the World offering at the park's World Showcase.
DSC00051.JPG
Joyful! returns to the Fountain of Nations stage for the holiday season.
DSC00052.JPG
The stage is slightly modified to suit the gospel group and the show's theme.
DSC00055.JPG
The Food & Wine Festival's cranberry bog has been replaced with more character topiaries.
DSC00056.JPG
Mickey looks pretty great!
DSC00057.JPG
I couldn't help but play with my new camera when I saw these rain-drenched poinsettias.
DSC00058.JPG
They really did a nice job with the topiaries this year!
DSC00062.JPG
A new sign has been added to the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure station on the bridge to the World Showcase, probably to help let people know that they can take part in the offering.
DSC00067.JPG
The main Christmas tree at the World Showcase gateway is huge!
DSC00073.JPG
The Chateau Laurier hotel is currently under wraps for an extensive refurbishment.
DSC00077.JPG
Storyteller stands have been set up around the World Showcase for country-specific performers to help tell the story of their native holiday. Here is Canada's stage.
DSC00080.JPG
France's stage has some fabulous scenery behind it.
DSC00086.JPG
This little seating area has been retained from the Food & Wine Festival for the rest of the season. It was host to the Belgium booth this year as well as last year.
DSC00088.JPG
While Japan's quick service location continues to be refurbished, the Food & Wine Festival cart has been retained to help alleviate the need for quick service dining at the pavilion.
DSC00089.JPG
It features an abbreviated version of the menu formerly found at the original quick service location.
DSC00090.JPG
These walls have since been removed, but during my visit, the left side of the pavilion was essentially cut off from guest access.
DSC00101.JPG
The location is set to open within the next few weeks.
DSC00103.JPG
The interior looks refreshed.
DSC00104.JPG
The lighting fixtures give the facility a more modern feel, which will definitely be a nice change.
DSC00108.JPG
Santa's Village has returned to the American Adventure pavilion.
DSC00111.JPG
The Candlelight Processional is still popular as ever.
DSC00117.JPG
Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus are meeting guests at the pavilion.
DSC00121.JPG
Kwanzaa is also represented as a holiday at the American Adventure pavilion.
DSC00124.JPG
A story teller at work!
DSC00127.JPG
As with the last few years, the Gingerbread House has returned to the Liberty Inn.
DSC00129.JPG
And it is still awesome!
DSC00131.JPG
The hot cocoa is great, but I've also had the gingerbread cookies and apple cider in the past.
DSC00133.JPG
In case you were wondering...
DSC00134.JPG
The house has unique details on each side.
DSC00135.JPG
And all of it is made with sugar!
DSC00141.JPG
The standby line for the Candlelight Processional ran all the way to the Isola at the Italy Pavilion.
DSC00142.JPG
The holiday storyteller at work in the Italy pavilion.
DSC00148.JPG
The Germany Pavilion's miniature village (you know, the home to 'Trains of the World' *wink*) is celebrating the holidays too.
DSC00150.JPG
Germany's Food & Wine Festival section has also been retained for use further into the season.
DSC00152.JPG
The storyteller stage in Germany is in this same area.
DSC00156.JPG
A small area has been set up in Germany selling food and drinks as well as holiday souvenirs.
DSC00157.JPG
They were selling Gluhwein along with beer as an alternate option.
DSC00171.JPG
It's been a while since I've been this close to the Earth Globe.
DSC00178.JPG
China's storyteller stage is tiny, but picturesque.
DSC00186.JPG
Norway's storytelling has a bit of humor to it.
DSC00190.JPG
Mexico's stage blends very well with the surrounding environment.
DSC00193.JPG
Stitch has gotten into the holiday lights!
DSC00194.JPG
And he bit off a section of the entrance sign!
DSC00196.JPG
Donald is ready to go skating!
DSC00197.JPG
Goofy is already way ahead of him!
DSC00198.JPG
The Bambi topiary from last year's Flower & Garden Festival is also featured at the front of the park.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby ernierocker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:12 pm

^Great coverage Adam! Really need to get down to Orlando for the holiday season one year!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!