Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1010: Final piece of Yukon Striker track installed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby asimowalk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:22 am

Behemoth's lift hill still gives me the jitters... I'm probably going to freak out if Leviathan's lift hill still moves at the same pace.

I am amused that the only crane you see in this photo is hovering over the Mondial Top Scan. :p

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Hello everyone!

This week, TPR was invited to check out what’s been happening at Canada’s Wonderland since Leviathan’s launch day back in August. Needless to say, a lot has happened since. Andrew (coaster_dude2002) and I were there to bring you the latest and greatest!

LEVIATHAN

2012 Season Q&A Video - Leviathan & Dinosaurs Alive!

Construction Tour Part 1 - Below
Construction Tour Part 2
Construction Tour Part 3
Construction Tour Part 4
Construction Tour Part 5

The skyline around the park has forever changed with B&M tracks, up to 306ft, piercing the sky. The staff at the park is thoroughly enjoying the construction process as it is taking place by the administration offices, as compared to Behemoth, which took place at the other end of the park. The transformation of this area of the park is astounding and you can feel the buzz and excitement from staff and contractors.

The changes in viewing perspective can be really deceiving as to how massive this coaster is. During our tour, we did our best to put it in context next to the coaster that Leviathan seems to be stomping on, Dragon Fire.

Milestones:
Last Friday, the crown was lifted into place just before dusk with four cranes. One crane lifted the crown while another pulled the adjoining track piece away just enough to allow the crown to ‘slip’ into place. The last two held the iron workers who bolted everything together. Finishing and detailing work continues this week.

All foundation work is done along with utility relocations, allowing contractors to move further ahead with the station area. Just in front of the station, contractors continue to work on the entrance area. A great deal of effort is being placed on theming to the area’s Medieval theme and making the area much more open.

It also looks like iron workers have started assembling the lift chain, piece by piece (with the help of machines).

Construction is running on schedule. Although winter weather will have the ultimate say, everything is looking great for opening day so far.

Upcoming:
This is the first ride that will leave the park gates and have its turnaround in the grassy island pathway outside of the entry plaza. We'll find out if this area will remain open to guests at a later date.

That first drop is spectacular, but how high is it? Yes, people know and it is impressive. As far as an exact number, we’ll all have to wait until closer to opening day to find out. We still need at least one thing to debate and look forward to, no?

A New Top 2 at CW?
For everyone who’s visited the park and tried all the coasters, what do you think the new top 2 or 3 coasters will be? Just to put things in perspective, the current top 2 coasters at the park based on attendance are Behemoth followed by, wait for it, Dragon Fire.

DINOSAUR’S ALIVE!
In addition to Leviathan, rumour had it that dinosaurs are all over the park. Aside from the obvious dino sitting along the 400, this is true. We ran into a few in the strangest of places. Of course, flash photography with a dinosaur doesn’t mix this time of year so we’ll have to wait a little longer to see more of them up close. This is an up charge attraction set at $5.00 CAD with any valid ticket or pass to the park.

Dinosaur’s Alive! will create an immersive, interactive and educational experience for a wide variety of groups and guests. This experience is quite exciting for the park as it opens up a wider educational component, beyond physics day, to include the social sciences and history. Groups from as young as grade 2 will benefit right up to engineers studying robotics.

Dinosaurs Alive! will begin by the Snoopy Boutique, next to Ghoster Coaster.

THANK YOU!
We’d like to thank Dineen and Linsdey in Public Relations for hosting us!

Hope you enjoy the update and thanks for visiting. Be sure to check back!
Last edited by rollin_n_coastin on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:26 am.

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Leviathan Construction Tour Part 2

-Leviathan with Dragon Fire
-A look at the drop
Last edited by rollin_n_coastin on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 pm.

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Leviathan Construction Tour Part 3

Drop and roll out?
Last edited by rollin_n_coastin on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:15 pm.

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Leviathan Construction Tour Part 4

The station and ride entrance area.
Last edited by rollin_n_coastin on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:40 pm.

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Leviathan Construction Tour Part 5

While Leviathan is under contsruction, park staff are busy with off season maintenance, rebuilding rides and hiding dinosaurs from our (camera's) view. Here are some that are being worked on in the picnic area, next to Leviathan and Dragon Fire.

On the administrative side, the holiday season brings a slow down just before things fiercly pick up in January, starting with recruiting an army of seasonal staff for the 2012 season.

Thanks for following along!
Last edited by rollin_n_coastin on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:09 am.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:01 pm

I guess you can no longer say that Dragon Fire is all alone in some barren field.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby robinschroder » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:04 pm

What a fantastic construction tour - thanks for posting this Jason and Andrew! I love the retina-burning bright turquoise track colour! =)

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Montu Maniac » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:28 pm

This is going 2 be a real monster !!! Very nice pictures .... that Dragon looks so miniature ....

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby DougMJr » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Glad to see that they are keeping all the trees they can. I cannot wait to see more progress with the rest of the layout. Thanks for the wonderful update!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!