TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of Amusement Today...

Central Amusement International (CAI) – the subsidiary of Italian ride manufacturer Zamperla overseeing the revitalization of the Coney Island amusement scene – has now set its sights on the mighty Cyclone wooden roller coaster.

CAI officials acknowledged that the Cyclone is in need of repairs. They did their research and settled on one company they felt has the competence and passion to invigorate the ailing ride, Pennsylvania-based Great Coasters International, Inc.

Amusement Today spoke with Valerio Ferrari, president of CAI, about the work taking place on the grand old ride and why GCII was selected for the project. “We are very excited for the improvements that have been and will be made to The Cyclone. This ride is rich in history, and being able to preserve it for future generations to enjoy is something that CAI is very proud to be part of,” said Ferrari. “CAI chose GCII to renovate the Cyclone mainly for two reasons. First and most importantly, they are an industry leader with a proven track record on renovating existing coasters while maintaining each coasters’ ‘identity’. Second, they demonstrated a very strong desire to put their thumbprint on such a prestigious and iconic ride.

“GCII surveyed the Cyclone’s track and proposed that by making small adjustments to its profile, we will be able to create a more enjoyable riding experience for our guests. Since this is both financial and labor intensive, CAI concluded that breaking the project into phases will allow us to keep the Cyclone open during our operating season and stay within budget constraints,” continued Ferrari. “The Cyclone’s track replacement is expected to be completed within four to five years. As part of the final phase, we are looking into either refurbishing or replacing the Cyclone’s trains. Plans are not final, however, our vision is to keep the trains similar to the original design. When we are finished, the track and other ride systems will be state-of-the-art and will also meet current ride standards.”

If all goes as planned and the weather cooperates, CAI officials feel the Cyclone will be ready to open on Palm Sunday, April 1, 2012.

This is kind of depressing for me, because I have been wanting to ride the Cyclone in its original state (just to say that I did) for several years now. I guess I need to get out there in May and ride the thing before all the track gets completely replaced.

I'm actually kind of excited for this, since riding the Cyclone last year, I felt like my spine was readjusted and my internal organs shifted around, the re-profiling of it can only help. I know on their facebook page they had some pictures of the track missing.

I think overall this is a MAJOR step forward for the Cyclone, and one that is well due.

Mike Boodley is also one of the record-holders for the Cyclone, as he marathon'd the coaster back in the late 70s. If there is anyone qualified to work with this, it would be him. GCI's track history has been impressive, and knowing that they will return some of the smoothness of Cyclones 'yout' to it will be a good thing.

As for the new trains, I'm concerned there. While a set of MilF trains on it would be nice, for me the old four-bench overpadded monsters are something I grew up with (having been born and raised in Brooklyn!) so seeing new trains on it would be a major disappointment to me overall.

Kudos though for the love for the Cyclone.

I love the Cyclone passionately, but it's rough and sluggish. A GCI refurb is one of the best things that could happen to it. This coaster deserves to be one of the best experiences out there. It needs to become a real attraction with re-ride potential, rather than just a landmark.

I'm conflicted about new trains too, but they might be unavoidable.

^Exactly. Conflicted. I can't ride in the back row anymore, so a smoother, better ride is nothing but good. The idea of even small profile changes makes me a little anxious.

New trains... hmmm. Yeah...

I mean, I want The Cyclone to be fun. But also not too far from what it was the day it opened. CONFLICTED.

That said, if this coaster is going to be modified from its original state in any way, I'm THRILLED that GCI is doing the work.

It needs to become a real attraction with re-ride potential, rather than just a landmark.

I'm conflicted about new trains too, but they might be unavoidable.

Totally agree! I loved re-riding it but then, I only ever tried the front to middle. Then, rode the back once and wow....that was enough for a year. But then a lot of folks say that organ re-arranging feeling is what gives it all its charm. To a point maybe

Hopefully a train re-build will suffice instead of a full replacement. They are definitely part of what makes the ride.

I'm actually kind of excited for this, since riding the Cyclone last year, I felt like my spine was readjusted and my internal organs shifted around, the re-profiling of it can only help.

I definitely felt that too, but that's part of what makes the Cyclone what it is. At least that's what I feel about it. I'm definitely glad I got down there last year. That being said, I can definitely respect Zamperla's decision here and believe that GCI is the right company for the job.

Does anyone ever read anything more than the headline that's on the front page?

"As part of the final phase, we are looking into either refurbishing or replacing the Cyclone’s trains. Plans are not final, however, our vision is to keep the trains similar to the original design. When we are finished, the track and other ride systems will be state-of-the-art and will also meet current ride standards.”