TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Just kidding, not all that exciting. Here's what's in store;

HAUNTED ATTRACTIONS AND SCARE ZONES

NEW - Backwoods Bloodshed (GOTHAM Arena): Mayhem lurks in the woods around Six Flags America where creatures and more inhabit the woods that surround the park. Walk along the path with care as you dodge those that lurk and race to make it out in one piece! Additional fee required – purchase near attraction entrance.

Bridge of Terror (located near Hurricane Harbor entrance): Things that go bump in the night have a special affinity for this haunted bridge and a face-to-face monster encounter is inevitable with the angry souls who inhabit this space… get across the bridge before they get YOU!

Carn-EVIL (GOTHAM City): Introduce yourself to Dr. Fright’s menagerie of freaks from the one of a kind Carn-Evil Circus Show. See evil creatures from beyond this world including, but certainly not limited to…clowns.

Skull’s Revenge (Skull Island): The ghosts of a 100-year-old shipwreck are said to haunt the area in search of their missing treasure. The men wander the grounds looking for their boat and their booty. They are as untrusting as they are ruthless so guests are warned to steer clear.

Ghost Town (Coyote Creek): Who says Westerns need to take place out west? There’s been plenty of gun-play and saloon fights right here on the very lot where Six Flags America now stands. The area is rife with rumors of fallen cowboys returning from the grave to wander the midway.

So then, 3 scare zones, and 2 mazes. AND YET AGAIN ONE OF THE MAZES IN AN UPCHARGE! AAAAAH! I'm mad bro. I mean, I totally get that not every park needs to have a halloween event with 5-10 mazes to be fun, but if you only intend to have TWO, it shouldn't cost me extra money to see one.

On the bright side, they do have all new shows, which sound pretty neat! As listed below.

SPOOKY SHOWS

The Awakening (in front of Grand Theater)- What looks like a normal landscape by day changes into an evil and deathly hunting ground by night. Beware of demons as the sinister come out to haunt the park.

The Reckoning (Stunt Arena)- Moridian, Demon God, is out to take over the world in his rise to power. So far, the bloodline of the Brightmore family has been the only force stopping him. With an enchanted sword that enhances his power, this Demon God roamed the earth in search of every single Brightmore ancestor that was bred to stop him. Now, with one last chance to defeat good, evil strikes in full force upon the group of friends who harbor the last Brightmore family member.

Magic of the Night (Grand Theater) – This grand illusion magic show will amaze and mystify audiences. Featuring the magic of Joe Romano.

Reunion of Souls (Crazy Horse Restaurant and Theater) - Just like legend has it, Hallows Eve is the one night of the year where the dead could, if they wished, return to the land of the living! This eerie, bone-chilling production is sure to send a shiver right down your spine!

Hyde School Musical (WB Theater)- The school’s principal Dr. Hyde and his ghostly students have arrived at Six Flags America and are ready to strut their stuff. Each student must pass their final exam by preparing a unique act that will be judged by none other than the ghoulish guests in the audience! It’s up to you to decide who will pass this bone-chilling exam and graduate with honors from “Hyde School”!

The Curse of Madame Divine (Coyote Creek)- Direct from the depths of the underworld, this supernatural psychic has a trick and a treat up her sleeve! What does your future hold? Madame Divine will gaze into her crystal all and reveal which of your worst nightmares are yet to come!

DJ Ghoul and the Gang (In front of Grand Theater)- So you think you can scream? DJ Ghoul is getting the Monster Mash started with a jump to the left and a step to the right! To get this Graveyard rockin’ he’s looking for the most disturbing dancers to join his ghoulish gang! Groove on over and get ready to Boogie…man!

Personally,I'm happy. Finally,B&M comes to the state of Maryland,yay!! And from what I seen on their site for FrightFest,it should be nice. My boyfriend & I are going there on October 2nd. Went there this past Sunday. Wasn't crowded(due to the Redskins game @ FedEx Field and it being 9/11). I'm looking forward to 2012!!

You just pray SFA is getting new trains too....

• 1 month later...

Went down to the park tonight to process next year's season pass (with free parking!) and ride everything one last time before the season ends on Sunday. Important notes:

--They enclosed their teacups and added fog, strobes, and music like at SFGam! One of the best and most disorienting flat ride experiences I've ever had! We had no idea whether we were moving or not the entire time.

--The Joker's Jinx ride op was advertising Backwoods Bloodshed ($10/person upcharge) as the longest haunted trail in Maryland. Has anyone been through it? I'm curious - it looks like it heads straight back near the old house in the woods!

--All that's left of Skull Mountain is the turntable and drop up to the skull. Basically, everything that's above or on the Gotham City side of Wild One is still standing until the season's over. The entire front section is leveled, with small peepholes in the fence covering.

--Wild One gave us a great last ride of the season - the brake before the helix didn't grab, and it's pretty cool to just skim through the final brakes and around that last turn! And while we're at it, how exactly do they use the transfer track? I always assumed it was unusable because they're missing 2-3 layers of wood, but the red train was over there tonight.

And in case you were interested in what a skull looks like watching over lots of dirt and rocks...

IMAG0279.jpg.ff72bafb454ac6ddfc5db7da3a658cb2.jpg

I know what you mean, I saw Intamin track pass me once, and I missed my exit on the interstate. I wound up following it for almost fifty miles. Amanda (my passenger at the time) facepalmed and went "well, that prooves you're retarded for roller coasters". B&M track would be awesome to see though...

oh side note, it would be awesome if they converted that little bit of flume to a toxic waterfall or something along those lines. I know thats a far cry for themeing, but that would be kinda cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Six Flags America has sent us a press release regarding their announcement of the appointment of a new park president!

Six Flags America announces the appointment of Rick Howarth as its new park president. Howarth will be responsible for all park operations, strategic direction and general management duties for the 131-acre theme and water park, located 20 minutes from the nation’s capital.

A native of Largo, Maryland, Howarth began his career in the theme park industry in 1992 as a finance intern at Wild World (later Adventure World before being rebranded as Six Flags America in 1999) while studying at the University of Maryland in College Park. Howarth has held finance positions at Wild World, Adventure World, Six Flags America, various former Six Flags parks throughout Europe, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, California, and the Six Flags Entertainment Corporation headquarters in Grand Prairie, Texas. In 2009, Howarth returned to Six Flags America as the park’s director of finance.

"I'm very excited to take on this new, exciting role,” said Howarth. "I look forward to building on Six Flags America’s reputation as a unique and thrilling destination for family fun as we continue to provide our guests with superior service and lasting memories."

Rick Howarth, his wife Janelle, and their three daughters live in Crofton, Maryland where they are members of Mid Atlantic Community Church. He enjoys playing basketball in community leagues in Anne Arundel and Howard Counties.

Rick Howarth replaces John Winkler, who was recently appointed park president at Six Flags New England in Agawam, Massachusetts. He begins his new position as Six Flags America prepares for its 13th season as a Six Flags-branded property and the installation of Apocalypse, the park’s eighth world-class roller coaster. This 2,900-foot steel roller coaster will feature two inversions and reach top speeds of 55 MPH. APOCALYPSE is scheduled to open in May 2012.

I really think it's about time that this whole "change the park's problems" thing stops. Why do you even go here if you think it's such a terrible place? I've had nothing but a great time every time I've visited over the past two years - employees are energetic and welcoming, the old water slides are back open, the paths are clean, Superman has a fresh coat of paint, Thomas Town is beautiful, and now we're getting a new coaster for the first time in a decade. Clearly SFI sees the need to invest in this park to restore its reputation, and once that's done we can start to get real capital investments down the line. So really, we all know that you hate SFA, but come on. You can't for a second deny that this place hasn't improved tenfold from where it was back in the early and mid-2000s.

I really think it's about time that this whole "change the park's problems" thing stops. Why do you even go here if you think it's such a terrible place? I've had nothing but a great time every time I've visited over the past two years - employees are energetic and welcoming, the old water slides are back open, the paths are clean, Superman has a fresh coat of paint, Thomas Town is beautiful, and now we're getting a new coaster for the first time in a decade. Clearly SFI sees the need to invest in this park to restore its reputation, and once that's done we can start to get real capital investments down the line. So really, we all know that you hate SFA, but come on. You can't for a second deny that this place hasn't improved tenfold from where it was back in the early and mid-2000s.

Come on now,I don't hate the park but I sure hate the way SFI let it go downhill over the past decade & adding this coaster is certainly a good start at trying to rebuild the park but they do have a long way to go to get back to where they were before all of the mass ride removals & that will probably take a few more years.

Nobody hates the park (well maybe some), though it is more that it's an odd theme park because:

-Ride placement is horrible, coasters are put in there abnormally

-Six Flags didn't invest that much into the park

-Gotham City just looks horrible

-Batwing looks abandoned

-Mind Eraser has goofy colors

Really, the only coasters that look fitting are Superman & Wild One, the rest of the coasters seem to be put in without thought.

Nobody hates the park (well maybe some), though it is more that it's an odd theme park because:

-Ride placement is horrible, coasters are put in there abnormally

-Six Flags didn't invest that much into the park

-Gotham City just looks horrible

-Batwing looks abandoned

-Mind Eraser has goofy colors

Really, the only coasters that look fitting are Superman & Wild One, the rest of the coasters seem to be put in without thought.

Here's the thing - Six Flags did invest in the park. TREMENDOUSLY.

Two-face, Joker's Jinx, Great Chase, Looney Tunes Movie town, and other flats in 1999.

Superman and two flats in 2000.

Batwing and a Skycoaster in 2001.

When you put all sorts of amazing new attractions in at once or in a short period of time, you generate a lot of buzz, which is great. Unfortunately, when that buzz drops off like...Wile E. Coyote with an anvil tied to his ankle off a cliff, you're stuck. All that money that you spent to build all those new attractions isn't getting payed back any time soon...

EDIT: Not picking on you, honest.

DOUBLE EDIT (Z0MG!): Six Flags and their surprises...we all assumed Apocalypse was getting a new set of trains. Trolololol?

I'm talking about recent history, not what happened 10 years ago, but the last 5 years.

Also, think of this: What happened after 2001? The largest investment was Thomas Town which is a small investment.

EDIT: OK, I think I put the wrong fact down: Not that Six Flags didn't invest much into the park, but didn't invest that much in the park recently since 2002, it is true that they did do a lot of good investments in the turn of the century.

Edited by XYZ