TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Sounds really cool. I am a sports car racing fan at heart. Honestly Disney's track isn't very well suited for road cars. Build a 3 mile road course and have a stable of exotic sports cars and we're talkin. A man can dream right? and bring in the old bat mobile Panoz.

Edited by dragonskeep

I'm curious if anyone has still shots or video of trains on BTMRR being moved from the main line onto the spur that leads across the tracks of the Walt Disney World Railroad to the ride' s maintenance shed ? On a recent trip to WDW, I noticed the switch and chain lift employed to bring BTMRR trains back up and over the tracks.

-S

It is an interesting setup - trains can only be moved when there is a stream train sitting in the Frontierland station otherwise it triggers an E-Stop for the steam trains. Unless there is maintenance reasons its rare to see it happen during the day as the ride usually runs the same number of trains for a better part of the day and there is room to store two trains between the station and the steam train tracks if they need to take one off. So usually one is removed and sits there waiting for the steam train to close for the night. BTMRR has one block between the storage shed and the steam trains, then two between the steam train tracks and the station. Worlds longest transfer track?

I'm curious if anyone has still shots or video of trains on BTMRR being moved from the main line onto the spur that leads across the tracks of the Walt Disney World Railroad to the ride' s maintenance shed ? On a recent trip to WDW, I noticed the switch and chain lift employed to bring BTMRR trains back up and over the tracks.

-S

It is an interesting setup - trains can only be moved when there is a stream train sitting in the Frontierland station otherwise it triggers an E-Stop for the steam trains. Unless there is maintenance reasons its rare to see it happen during the day as the ride usually runs the same number of trains for a better part of the day and there is room to store two trains between the station and the steam train tracks if they need to take one off. So usually one is removed and sits there waiting for the steam train to close for the night. BTMRR has one block between the storage shed and the steam trains, then two between the steam train tracks and the station. Worlds longest transfer track?

It is a rather ingenious setup and probably DOES qualify as the world's longest transfer track. I find the operation quite fascinating. Might you have photos or videos of the process in action?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/10/mickey-tests-some-magic-words-at-walt-disney-world/

Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park tonight are in for a real Halloween treat. For the first time in the park’s history, Mickey will be talking with guests and testing some new tricks backstage at Town Square Theater.

Because tonight’s test is open to a very limited number of guests – Mickey and his pals at Magic Kingdom Park, Walt Disney Creative Entertainment, and Walt Disney Imagineering helped us create this video to share with all of you.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/11/behind-the-scenes-imagineers-use-digital-technology-to-create-art-for-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is one of several attractions currently under construction in the New Fantasyland expansion of Magic Kingdom Park.

This is a very exciting time as various elements are currently being installed in the attraction. Walt Disney Imagineers are currently putting the finishing touches on a sweeping seaside mural that will welcome guests to the load-in area of this attraction.

This video, provided by WDI, shows how Imagineers created an experimental process using digital technology to design the mural, and then used portable tablets to guide them in the artistic process when it came time to put paint on canvas.

How do you think it turned out?

NTSB Report issued on Monorail accident:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — WFTV has obtained a new National Transportation and Safety Board report about the deadly monorail crash at Walt Disney World two years ago.

The NTSB report found Disney World was at fault. It seems just a moment of inattention caused this crash.

The report placed responsibility squarely on one of the monorail's panel operators, and one of its managers for the accident that killed 21-year-old Austin Wuennenberg. It included a telling new photo of the damage.

The report found that the monorail's primary panel shifter essentially got briefly distracted in the wee hours of July 5, 2009.

A report of a malfunctioning door on another monorail train took his focus off shifting the tracks for Wuennenberg's inbound train.

Without that critical shift, Wuennenberg's purple monorail train slammed right into the pink monorail train as it was backing into the station.

The theme park insisted it has already made necessary changes. One of those safety improvements includes the development of standard operating procedures for the monorail.

Leading up to this accident, Disney World had no such across-the-board standards in place for the monorail.

In addition to the loss of life, the report said the monorail suffered $24 million in damage.

NTSB Report

WFTV

While I've been fortunate enough to do the "exotic car" experience in places that are far more interesting than the relatively tame and small track layout that Richard Petty provides, I think this will be a great addition to this part of WDW. I suspect that there are are a large group of driving enthusiasts like me who have no interest in doing some hot laps in a NASCAR, but would jump on the chance to play with some of the toys we'd all like to be able to own, but don't for whatever reason. I'd even go as far to say as I think this will be more popular than the current NASCAR version.

Since I can't think of any witty way to segway from that comment into the NTSB monorail report, I'll just say it makes for a very informative read. The accident was a terrible event, but I suggest that anyone who has even a passing interest in the WDW monorail system check it out. The report is very comprehensive. Thanks for posting this chadster.

Urrmmm, WOW?

Thats... incredible, I'm actually really impressed by that haha.

Must question, how does it work though? Do they use a voice manipulator? Surely they aren't all pre-recorded messages and all?

My minds a little bit blown by that, well done Imagineers, well done.

From the videos that have been previously posted, WDI has been testing two versions of talking Mickey. The one featured in the above video clearly is using either a remote voice actor or voice manipulator. There are other videos posted from Disneyland where you can tell Mickey's responses are limited to pre-selected choices (like a soundboard). Here's to hoping WDI takes the technology far enough that Mickey can say whatever he'd like to.

Details of the new driving experience at the Walt Disney World Speedway have been announced!

http://www.exoticdriving.com/

DRIVE YOUR DREAM! Imagine driving the world’s fastest and most exotic high performance cars on a real racetrack…no traffic…no stoplights…no law enforcement…just your dreams, your adrenaline and the wide-open asphalt.

Located at Walt Disney World® Speedway in Orlando, Florida, Exotic Driving Experience features supercars by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi and Porsche.

Exotic Driving Experience gives YOU the opportunity to get behind the wheel of these supercars and make your dreams a reality.

Choose Your Exotic Car and Drive!

Ferrari 458 Italia

Ferrari F430

Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 997

Audi R8

Exotic Driving Experiences start at 6 laps around the 1-mile course with a professional driving instructor in the passenger seat providing coaching and feedback. Additional lap packages are available. View our lineup of exotic cars.

Ride with a Pro!

Get the adrenaline rush of a lifetime as one of our professional instructors takes you for a supercar Thrill Ride on The Exotics Course at Walt Disney World® Speedway...buckle up and hold on!

Walt Disney World® Speedway is a one mile, slightly banked tri-oval that has hosted both Indy Racing League and NASCAR Truck series events. Since 2000, it has been operated year-round, exclusively, by Richard Petty Driving Experience.

The Exotics Course at Walt Disney World® Speedway is a hybrid design which utilizes the tri-oval’s backstretch and turn two, before taking drivers into a newly designed interior section which includes a series of fast right and left hand turns inside of street-course style barriers.

This layout allows drivers to rapidly accelerate to high speeds while testing the deft handling and braking characteristics of some of the world’s most incredible super cars.

Ferrari

458 Italia

Drive for $389

“2011 Car of the Year” by the Robb Report

Ferrari

F430

Drive for $329

Every area of this car has been influenced by Formula 1

Lamborghini

Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera

Drive for $339

Brings a whole new meaning to the term “super sportscar”

Lamborghini

Gallardo LP560-4

Drive for $299

Setting a higher standard for super sports cars

Porsche

911 GT3 RS 997

Drive for $199

The highest ever performing road legal Porsche 911

Audi

R8

Drive for $269

A true Supercar

Thrill Rides are given on a first come, first serve basis, schedule permitting. No reservations are required. Thrill Rides are offered every day, generally between 9am and 4pm, on The Exotics Course at Walt Disney World® Speedway in Orlando, Florida. We recommend calling 1.855.822.0149 to confirm dates and times before visiting.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-fantasyland-first-phase-20111107,0,815207.story

The first phase of Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland expansion to open will be Storybook Circus, which will be available to theme-park guests in "early 2012," according to "Mickey's Monitor," a quarterly mail-out for Walt Disney World annual passholders.

Storybook Circus, under construction essentially on the grounds once known as Mickey's Toontown Fair, will be based on Disney's 1941 animated feature "Dumbo," with big-top circus tents leading to the relocated Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride. Eventually, the Fantasyland addition will have side-by-side dueling versions of the Dumbo attraction, connected by a new interactive queue, but the "Monitor" says the second of the two rides will be added in "the near future."

Other elements listed for Storybook Circus are a new water-play area featuring Casey Jr., the locomotive featured in the film, and the Great Goofini, a roller coaster previously known as the Barnstormer at Goofy's Wiseacre farm. It's being retooled with a daredevil theme.

This first area to open is near the Mad Tea Party attraction and the border with Tomorrowland, within earshot of the Tomorrowland Speedway cars. The Fantasyland expansion eventually will include a dark ride called Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid; an area devoted to "Beauty and the Beast" with Be Our Guest restaurant, Gaston's Tavern and other elements; and an additional coaster known as the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. They are expected to open in phases over the next two years.

More details could be revealed when the Disney Park Blog holds a live chat with Chris Beatty of Walt Disney Imagineering at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9. Click here to learn more about the live chat about Walt Disney World's Fantasyland expansion.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/11/sneak-peek-holiday-surprises-coming-to-the-magic-the-memories-and-you-at-magic-kingdom-park-and-disneyland-park/

This is my favorite time of year in the Disney Parks. The air is cool, holiday decorations are going up and all the fantastic, seasonal entertainment is ready to debut. And this year, our Creative Entertainment team has something new to unwrap!

Since its premiere last January, our projection show “The Magic, The Memories and You!” has been wowing guests. Each night the show is presented, the faces of Cinderella Castle at the Walt Disney World Resort and “it’s a small world” at the Disneyland Resort have been transformed with magical special effects, animation and images of our guests captured by Disney PhotoPass photographers during the day.

For the holiday season, we’re updating one of the segments of the show with a musical score filled with favorite holiday tunes and pictures of guests celebrating in the parks. Starting tomorrow in Magic Kingdom Park, Cinderella Castle will appear to be wrapped in gift paper and bows, covered in candy stripes and more!

These photos give you an idea of the fun in store. They’re of some of the actual mattes that will be projected on the surface of Cinderella Castle. “The Magic, The Memories and You!” art director, Tom Zofrea, created these images in such a way that, when projected from various points around the park’s Central Plaza, they produce the effect that the Castle is built from gingerbread.

At Disneyland park, the holiday segment of “The Magic, The Memories and You!” begins Nov. 18, turning the façade of “it’s a small world” Holiday into a giant snow globe and an icy winter wonderland, among other surprises. The attraction will even get its own gingerbread treatment. Looks delicious!

hsc110299LARGE.jpg.a0418f6e113a46b4a14fd4397e93ec56.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

It's VERY cool that they're taking the projections to the next level by surrounding the castle with them.

I haven't seen the show in six months - as of now, Magic Memories and You has only been on the castle's front, right?

^The image shows that these projections are still only on the front face of the castle. The two side images show the left and right sides of the front face as they would appear seamlessly blending into the middle projection. Same as the regular show, just different content.