Oktoberfest 2011

More Random Oktoberfest Pictures on Page 4
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Oktoberfest 2011

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:56 pm

^^I can't miss this one...I just can't!!!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Lamoure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:49 pm

I think everybody's gonna hate me now, but personally, I strongly recommend to skip 'Oktoberfest'-Munich and go to 'Wasen'-Stuttgart instead!! :p
I was at 'Oktoberfest' in 2010 and it was just bad. Of course, the 'TPR-Trip' with the tent-reservation is beyond my critics.
If you don't reserve some seats in a tent, you won't get beer! It was a shocking experience for me and my friends, that the only this we came for (1l Beer 'Maß') was outlying of the possible! You won't get beer if you aren't in a tent (and they are all reserved for at least 1 year) :(. You've to be there early in the morning at 8am only to get in, then wait till 11-12am to get an expensive beer! Prices are going up tp 11€ (15$) for one beer this year with the tips! (And no tips means you won't get another beer!). If you're in the tent and want a beer, you won't get any, because you are not seated! Also everything closed at 11pm :(. Bugger me, it's the biggest fair in the whole world, why they close at 11pm? Also the rides are very expensive (yes, it's normally for a big fair) BUT the whole rideduration is really really short! I was on a big-scaled-ride about 1min for 7€(9,6$).. That was just unfair!

This is just my opinion, of course 'Oktoberfest' can be awesome if you've a tent-reservation and enough money!! But for me and my friends it was a bad experience. We'll go to 'Wasen' on this sunday, the 25th :) !!

I can advise 'WASEN' at Stuttgart! It is nearly at the same time as 'Oktoberfest' and the 2nd biggest fair in the world after munich! There are cheaper beerprices, longer ridedurations, no reservation needed for the tents, if you come before noon and it's really equal to 'Oktoberfest' ;)! :mickey:

I am sorry for my english, I am not an native men.
Last edited by Lamoure on Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:49 pm.
deadmau5

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 pm

^You're from Germany, Oktoberfest isn't as big of a deal for you. To tell someone not to go is quite dumb.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Lamoure » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:27 pm

^Well, I am sorry it's just my opinion. It's not a big deal for me to go there, but I want to warn people about getting maybe no beer, shot rides and an expensive experience. So, they might get more fun at stuttgart.

Hmm,.. but I do understand, if i live outside germany or europe, 'Oktoberfest' might be the only opinion for me, that's true ;)
deadmau5

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:37 pm

^This is like going into a thread about Walt Disney World and telling people it is too expensive so they should go to Universal instead.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Der Der Dongt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 am

Well, I never ride any flat rides in Munich because I can ride them at our local fairs here in and around Augsburg at a lower price with longer ride cycles.
Therefore I only do the big coasters.

You actually can get a beer outside of the tents. For example at the Beergardens most of the big tents have or at the smaller bar stands.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 am

CoasterKid wrote:I leave for Vienna on Friday to get my Prater credits, and then it's off to Munich on the 28th.

Make sure you have Euros, most rider operators at Prater don't accept credit cards.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Aveko » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:59 am

I am not active in here but i just had to answer. I have been a Oktoberfest guide sine 2008 to pay my college education.

It is true that you can't just jump into the Oktoberfest experience and some of the international tourists are somehow disappointed if the arrive totally unprepared BUT with some preparation and reading you will get the fun and defenetly enough Beer.

Judging from several trip reports about the TPR Oktoberfest Trips you will get a prefetctly prepared trip planned by Robb and Elissa that even seems to be superior to the most trips of the munich based travel agencies.

I really recommed a trip to Oktoberfest: After 3 years of guiding groups from all over the world through the Theresienwiese I never met a tourist that did not enjoy it.

Best Regards from Germany
David

P.S. The Wasen in Stuttgart is nice and in some ways very authentic, but its far away from the size, fun and experience of Oktoberfest.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby alexinla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:50 am

I started this thread so might aswell post my Tripreport here aswell

Ok, Oktoberfest is probably the ultimate themepark. Just think about it, you have great coasters, tons of flatrides, darkrides, funhouses, wierd Shows and BEERTENTS!!!

This year it will go down as one of the best as the weather was perfect! Temperatures in the upper 70's, sunny skies and a almost recordbreaking 6.9Million visitors ( Magic Mountain gets 2.8 Million visitors in an ENTIRE YEAR, compare that to just 17 days that Oktoberfest is up and running and you might understand how big this is!) So, yeah, it is a busy place and although the visitor record of 7 Million was not broken, the beer consumption of 7.5 Million Liter was (1 Liter=32 oz) :br

Of course Oktoberfest is more than just Beer and rides, I will try to show a little of the "vibe" but pictures can only show you so much, being there is what it is all about...

I went for 2 Days, first Night I was hanging out with my friends at the Haxenbraterei Beertent, the second day was all about relaxing, having a beer here and there to take it all in
Craziest thing is that by the time you see these pictures, EVERYTHING WILL BE GONE until next year
(This is my first Picture TR, so bare with me if I make some mistakes..)
Oktoberfest 2011 004.JPG
Love the German High Speed trains and yes, the majority of the riders from Frankfurt to Munich were getting ready for Oktoberfest while drinking beer(which is of course legal in Germany)
Oktoberfest 2011 005.JPG
A big change from my last visit(20 years ago) is that young people actually love wearing the Lederhosen/Dirndl. That was so uncool back in the days, now it is almost a must! Tourists get into it aswell, you can get your gear right at the railwaystation
Oktoberfest 2011 085.JPG
All dressed up, it is time to enter the crazyness that is Oktoberfest (From the railwaystation you dont need a map, just follow the crowds in Lederhosen/Dirndl)
Oktoberfest 2011 040.JPG
It is big... (and busy for 1pm)
Oktoberfest 2011 008.JPG
I see you Olympia Looping..
Oktoberfest 2011 014.JPG
I am getting goosebumps...
Oktoberfest 2011 121.JPG
That's as close as I can get to the rides because I had a 12 Noon reservation at the Beertent...(and was 1 1/2 hours late)
Oktoberfest 2011 083.JPG
There are 16 Beertents at Oktoberfest, you would think these are permanent structures but nope, they will be taken down just like the coasters and rides as soon as Oktoberfest is over
Oktoberfest 2011 084.JPG
They start to build the tents in the middle of July(for the Sept 17th opening), each tent holds between 5000-8000 people and it takes 4 weeks to dismantle them- That's a lot of work for just 17 days...
Oktoberfest 2011 032.JPG
And that's what it is all about... (Beerprices were between €8.95.9.20=$12/13 for a liter/32oz)
Oktoberfest 2011 062.JPG
This was my tent(Haxenbraterei) for the first night from 1.30pm to 11pm! Yup! It was fun, you meet people from all over the World, sing songs you forgot about and of course have a beer(or seven)
Oktoberfest 2011 054.JPG
After a couple of hours it kinda all looks like this...

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby alexinla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 am

Here is the Oktoberfestversion of the classic "Stand by me"- It is not the "crazy song" that makes everyone stand up but although I am bad with my camera(probably drunk to), you get a little feeling of how it is inside the beertents..

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!