Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1207: $5.5 million in investments planned for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby KI Kidd » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:25 pm

From Holiday World's Facebook page:

We'll have an "out-with-the-old, in-with-the-new" ride announcement in our e-newsletter tomorrow. Sign up here, if you don't already subscribe: http://bit.ly/QFLRp

They have said that this IS NOT about the Timberliners.

Link

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ratdogg68 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:42 pm

I am going to guess the Eagles Flight will be replaced by a Aviator.
Let the Riding begin

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 pm

I just went this last weekend on the 24th, Saturday I believe. First time to the park, and it was definitely raining a lot. But this kinda made me excited, considering the possibility of short lines, as well as the intensity of the coasters coasters all completely saturated.

My brother and I, and he's a member of the GP, were both convinced that the coasters were best, right off the bat in the morning, during the brunt of the heavy rain. Raven was running great, and Legend surprised me because i was expecting a terrible ride. It seemed to be tracking well and the front had some good airtime. As the day went on, Legend and Voyage got rougher and resulted in a few headaches for my Brother, with just a few minor disturbances of my own.

As for The Voyage, this coaster is definitely in my top ten now. I must admit that my coaster count is only in the lower 100s with predominately steel makeup. So this probably explains my lack of similar opinion to everyone before me. The first two rides of the day, in the early morning were the best.

As the coaster got warmed up, it got much rougher. It's true that it suffers from jack-hammering around lots of the curves, and during the lower portion of the first, second, and third drop. It also seems to have constant vibration through out the remainder of the course after the break-run. There was one really bad "pot hole" traveling up the 2nd hill as well. But the layout is impressive and completely out of control. The terrain and woods makes its course even better. I hope to go back next year, and I am praying for the timberliners to be on track for the 2012 season. A coaster like this should be preserved.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Onionbelt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 pm

I visited Holiday World for the first time last August and had a wonderful time. I've only recently become an 'enthusiast' and never thought I'd find such a great park in my home state.

I personally didn't think Voyage was too rough. I can't compare it to its opening season, but for a wooden coaster of its size I thought it wasn't too bad. It certainly could be smoother though, and I hope they get the timberliners eventually. But in a way I almost liked the roughness. Some seats are better than others, but as long as it doesn't cause me physical pain, I feel it adds character to the ride. I couldn't even keep my hands up on Voyage once we reached the twisted turnaround, it feels so out of control.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby better_by_design » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 pm

So how about this "vertical swing ride" from Zamperla? Nice to see an upgraded flat in addition to Mammoth!

"Two more weekends to take a “Midnight Ride”

New For 2012: Vertical Swing Ride!After providing 33 years of laughs and thrills, Paul Revere's Midnight Ride will retire at the end of this season. The Everly Aircraft Company based in Salem, Oregon, originally built the Spider for Santa Claus Land where it debuted alongside what is now known as Lewis & Clark Trail in 1978. Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride will saunter into the sunset at closing time on Sunday, October 9, giving you two weekends to enjoy a few last spins before it disappears for good.

As we say goodbye to one ride, we’re already planning for another. We’re adding a 65’ Vertical Swing Ride! This new ride has the same 36” height limit as the ride it’s replacing, so smaller children can ride with their families. We’ll have more information about this fun new ride in the coming weeks. "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/holidayworld/6192292773/
"I am fascinated, always."
My Overseas Adventures TRsImage

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 pm

I believe this is the same 'mini-star flyer' that they have at Luna Park Coney Island?

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=581&linkid=8912

Nice to see a park that cares about replacing a ride with the same height restriction ride.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby better_by_design » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:10 pm

SharkTums wrote:
Nice to see a park that cares about replacing a ride with the same height restriction ride.

Agreed! And the more modest height is still going to be thrilling to smaller people... or those of us who are legitimately scared of heights without being overwhelmed.

I'll probably never ride a true Star Flyer, but I'll try this thing out at some point.
"I am fascinated, always."
My Overseas Adventures TRsImage

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I wonder how much of a difference (if any) there is between the mini star flyer and the full sized version. To me it looks like the same seats and restraints are used so you wouldn't think the height requirements are any different. Regardless this looks to be another great addition to a great park.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm sad to see the spider go, but this looks like a great replacement!

It's kind of ironic how this 65ft tall swing ride will have a smaller height requirement than the park's wave-swinger, though.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby KI Kidd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Looks like this will be fantastic addition to the park. It is awesome that they are keeping the height restriction the same as the ride being removed. I wish more parks thought along these lines when replacing/removing/adding attractions.

As for Voyage, there is no question that it has gotten extremely rough the past two years. However I find that in the front row the ride is still very enjoyable.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!