Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby SFOGdude25 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:34 am

^Just an observation. No big deal.

You can just skip over my posts.

Postby SFA Regular » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 pm

KDCOASTERFAN wrote:
SFA Regular wrote:What are they going to do with Skull Mountain's old station? I'm assuming they are building a new one for this ride because it's station in Six Flags Great America was up off the ground.

Could they possibly convert Skull Mountain's station area into a sizable haunted house for the future?

I'd assume that theyr're getting rid of the old station as there's no further need for it.

You don't think it could replace SFA's Hall Manor building? If their looking to improve Fright Fest for the future, this would be a good start. The old Skull Mountain station could easily be converted into an indoor haunted house. They could even extend the building to the further left; away from the ride for more space.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 pm

SFA Regular wrote:
KDCOASTERFAN wrote:
SFA Regular wrote:What are they going to do with Skull Mountain's old station? I'm assuming they are building a new one for this ride because it's station in Six Flags Great America was up off the ground.

Could they possibly convert Skull Mountain's station area into a sizable haunted house for the future?

I'd assume that theyr're getting rid of the old station as there's no further need for it.

You don't think it could replace SFA's Hall Manor building? If their looking to improve Fright Fest for the future, this would be a good start. The old Skull Mountain station could easily be converted into an indoor haunted house. They could even extend the building to the further left; away from the ride for more space.

Not gonna happen because for the most part the new ride will be right next to wild one for the entire time....look at the video & you'll see that there's not even gonna be room for a path there.

Postby SFA Regular » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:24 am

Your right KDCOASTERFAN. That's pretty much going to eliminate the old station. I sure hope this ride does the magic trick in boosting attendance. Because if it doesn't I could see the company making this park going another extended period time with no new rides. Sense it's style is new to the DC area, it should grab attention it's first year. But as we have all discussed, it's one of the older B&M's so it's more of a simple course. After riding it a few times, it will get dull pretty quick.

That's just my opinion.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:36 am

^ To us maybe, but to the million or so "local" gp, this could be a big boost for the park. Sure some of them have been elsewhere such as KD, HP, and GA, but this is in their backyard. They will eat this up tremendously. Hopefully this is the shot in the arm needed to get the park moving in a good direction for many years to come. The other parks around need the competition in order to feel a need to invest in other attractions as well. It only makes for a win - win situation for all involved!
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Postby SFA Regular » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:52 am

eddie200330 wrote:^ To us maybe, but to the million or so "local" gp, this could be a big boost for the park. Sure some of them have been elsewhere such as KD, HP, and GA, but this is in their backyard. They will eat this up tremendously. Hopefully this is the shot in the arm needed to get the park moving in a good direction for many years to come. The other parks around need the competition in order to feel a need to invest in other attractions as well. It only makes for a win - win situation for all involved!

I hope so, because the marketing that they are doing for this ride is fantastic. With a name like Apocalypse, people may be expecting some sort of stellar ride. But when they get there, they see that's it's only 100 ft, 2 inversions and a few turns. I know SFA's crowd; people will start comparing it to KD's Dominator. And sense Dominator opened in 2008, that's 3 years of appeal it's had on DC, MD and Northern VA. Now I could see if they added both rides the same year. Then people would be just as impressed with Apocalypse, before they make the 2 hour drive to KD and notice that there B&M is more thrilling.

For all it's worth, I hope the crowd is impressed with Apocalypse.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:28 pm

eddie200330 wrote:^ To us maybe, but to the million or so "local" gp, this could be a big boost for the park. Sure some of them have been elsewhere such as KD, HP, and GA, but this is in their backyard. They will eat this up tremendously. Hopefully this is the shot in the arm needed to get the park moving in a good direction for many years to come. The other parks around need the competition in order to feel a need to invest in other attractions as well. It only makes for a win - win situation for all involved!

Well now that they've taken care of the waterpark & family attractions over the last decade or so hopefully this will be the start of turning their attention to the thrillseekers once again,now they don't have to add a coaster next year or even in 2014 but some new flats to make up for what has been lost over the years would be a good start towards showing the GP that they're committed to improving this particular park.

When you let one aspect of the park languish & stagnate over long periods of time it sends the message to the GP that you're not interested in running it any longer...after all that's why I left after the 07 season as,from my POV(as a paying customer) the park's appeal really went downhill starting with the hyper driven focus on the waterpark.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Skull Mountain Demolition Pics

Postby bubala » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Stopped by the park today and snapped a few pics of the demolition work going on at Skull Mountain. Looks like they're tearing it down pretty quickly now that the park is only open on weekends.

069.jpg
Notice that most of the final lift hill is gone!

070.jpg
All of the first lift and first drop are gone too!

071.jpg
Lots of the lower trough is missing now.

072.jpg
Something is missing here...

073.jpg
Still a lot of the trough left after the final drop and on the final turnaround.

074.jpg
Breaking up the concrete!

075.jpg
The old ancient Skull Mountain ruins!

076.jpg
More ruins.

081.jpg
Interestingly, they have not started demolition on the station. Might they be considering using the station for a haunt this year?

084.jpg
Crumble!

There was a lot more demolition work that I could not photograph since I could not get to those areas from any publicly accessible area within the park. A ride on Roar, however, allowed me to see that they have completely demolished the enclosed turn around after the first drop. There are huge piles of rubble waiting to be hauled away from the site. They are really destroying Skull Mountain very quickly! At the rate that they are currently progressing with the demolition, the whole ride could easily be gone by the end of September.

All pics were taken from public areas of the park. No park rules were violated during the taking of these pictures.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 am

SAVE TEH SKULL M...oh wait, too late.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby SFA Regular » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:43 am

A.J. wrote:SAVE TEH SKULL M...oh wait, too late.

I know' the Skull looks so cool. Are they destroying the mountain or the Skull's face itself? The YouTube video of Apocalypse features a Skull Face, so why not keep it and find some nice way to incorporate with the ride? Or for theme keep some of the boats, put skeletons in them and position them at various points near the ride, to match the Apocalypse theme. It would look great while riding.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!