Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:18 pm

This looks like one of the most out-of-the-box coasters that Six Flags has ever built! I can't wait to see how this project goes for them!
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:29 pm

By the looks from the image, it kind of looks like it won't be a portable coaster, meaning it should stay up for more than 3-4 years. Looks like there will be a new credit for next year's Bay Area Bash!

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby PortugePunk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:20 am

ummmmm this thing looks ridiculous! i cannot wait to go home next year and get a ride.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 am

Was not expecting this, and when I read SFDK got a launched coaster, I assumed it was a clone of the mini Mr. Freeze built in Indonesia. This looks amazing, and totally messed up. I 'm not sure of the capacity though, because if they only run one car like the other X-Car coasters, I see this having really long lines. Great to see a concept coaster get built, and especially one that will grab people's attention due to it looking like one you'd see in a cartoon.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby iplf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:35 am

I've ridden Skywheel at Skyline Park.
http://rcdb.com/2773.htm?p=26221

Definitely an interesting ride. The hangtime after the lifthill was insane. The one in SFDK is a launch though.
When the train finished the circuit, it kept on going back and forth for awhile. I didn't particularly like the going back ;) but it sure as hell added a nice extra touch to this ride.
Because of that, the capacity was horrible.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hhappy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:09 am

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Announces New Thrill Coaster in 2012 — SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight

New Thrill Coaster is Park’s First DC Comics-Themed Attraction

The familiar refrain, “It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Superman!” will become part of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom’s lexicon with the official announcement today of the park’s exciting new roller coaster, SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight. The ride, created in a partnership between Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, is slated to open in spring 2012.

This one-of-a-kind super launch coaster features the tallest inversion west of the Mississippi and will rank alongside the tallest coaster inversions in the world. At 150 feet high, riders will experience lightning speeds of 62 miles per hour, with two upside-down twists and two vertical rolls over a track length of 863 feet.

“We’re excited to bring this caliber of ride to Discovery Kingdom,” said Dale Kaetzel, Park President. “Since we opened our super coaster Medusa in 2000, the public has been waiting for a ride to match that intensity. We believe that SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will satisfy even the most fearless thrill-seeker, and then some.”

As Discovery Kingdom’s first DC Comics-themed ride, the new addition is the perfect complement to the park’s unique collection of marine life, wildlife and wild rides. Thrill rides include the aforementioned Medusa, along with Kong, Roar, Vertical Velocity and Boomerang, and SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight’s addition solidifies Discovery Kingdom’s standing as Northern California’s best place to experience thrills of all kinds.

Brightly painted in Superman’s colors — vibrant blue, red and yellow — the steel coaster will be visible from Highway 37 and beyond from its location on the eastern side of the park. Construction on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will begin in early 2012.

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is being manufactured for Six Flags Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by Premier Rides.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with
19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags Over Texas, the company’s flagship location, is celebrating its 50th anniversary season in 2011.

Source:
http://news.sixflags.com/2012news/2011/08/26/supermanultimateflight/

Superman01_300dpi_8x10.jpg
Superman02_300dpi_8x10.jpg
Superman03_300dpi_8x10.jpg
Superman04_300dpi_8x10.jpg
Superman05_300dpi_8x10.jpg
Last edited by ernierocker on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:30 am.
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby joco07 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 am

WOW! I did not expect that... This coaster looks insane!! Not sure I like the Superman Theme.
Top 5 Coasters:
New Texas Giant (SFOT), Mr.Freeze Reverse Blast (SFOT), Kumba (BGT), Goliath (SFOG), Shockwave (SFOT)

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 am

Damn! This thing looks so awkwardly awesome, it'll probably be on my Roller Coaster Bucket List! Fantastic addition!

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

My Dumps Smell Like Cantaloupe

Postby The SETGO Guys » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:51 am

This is really the surprise announcement of the day! I don't think anyone was expecting this at all.

I'm also surprised at this line:
SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is being manufactured for Six Flags Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by Premier Rides.

It looked like a Maurer Sohne to me at first glance, I'm very interested to see how Premier builds this ride! It looks very unique.

Newton2 fondles my manhood.

Postby AJClarke0912 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:54 am

^That IS odd! I didn't even catch that!

Also, how does it propel to the top? It's obviously not a chain since it twists (and since it's not Maurer-Sohne). Interesting design for sure.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!