TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Derek goes to Lagoon

DerekRx

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice trip report, it's good to see someone who enjoyed Lagoon. Most people I talk to here in Utah do consider it a 'ghetto boring' park. I'm not really sure why as it really is a nice little park with quite a few decent rides. They seem to think that unless it has a TTD or an X2 it's not really a theme park.

Great TR, Derek. We may have been there the same day! Were you there on Saturday the 27th?

Lagoon is my home park, and this TR really did a good job showing what a fantastic, unique park we have here. Yes, it doesn't have a major, large coaster (something that local coaster enthusiasts have been hoping for for quite a long time...) but the fact that it has a Schwarzkopf looper, a classic wooden coaster, and some smaller footprint newer coasters that are still loads of fun, and pack a punch - we really don't have a lot to complain about. Wicked is one of the best "smaller" coasters I've ever ridden.

Add to that a fantastic selection of flat rides, two very unique dark rides, Pioneer Village and Rattlesnake Rapids (a well-themed raft ride at the very back of the park with a "Big Thunder" type of theme), and you really have a nice little locally-run park. One thing the park does well, if you couldn't already tell from the pics, was the landscaping and theming. Even their recent additions such as Jumping Dragon, OdySea and Bombora are thoughtfully themed and well landscaped. Their use of space in the park is really quite creative.

One area that Derek didn't mention was the number of kiddie rides. They have a small land just off the Midway called Mother Goose Playland which has several kiddie rides (some of which have been in operation since I was little... and I'm 42). They've extended this land to the north of the park until it meets up with some of the newer rides such as Bombora, OdySea and The Bat. It really is a large, nice collection of rides - and they are well-maintained each year.

So... if you aren't already convinced you should make it to this park, hopefully you are now. For those of you who don't feel a trip is worth it, or too out of your way - there is a ton to do here outside of Lagoon. Our ski resorts, including Park City, Deer Valley and Snowbird are consistently near the top of the "best resorts" lists each year - beating out better-known resorts in Colorado and California. Park City's Alpine Coaster (which Robb and Elissa have experienced) is open year-round! They also have Alpine Slides and ziplines at most of the resorts as well. If you venture south, towards Las Vegas you can hit 2 or 3 of the most breathtaking National Parks in the world - including Bryce Canyon, Zion, or Arches (in Moab).

Derek - I'm glad you found Crown Burger... it really is incredible. There are other hamburger places around the SL valley that were founded by Greek immigrants whose ancestors are still running it today (Crown Burger, Astro Burger, Apollo Burger). There is never a lack for good food here.

Thanks again for the great TR, and hopefully we'll see more of you TPR'ers at the park in the future!

They seem to think that unless it has a TTD or an X2 it's not really a theme park.

In the US you are really pampered with parks featuring tons of large costum designed coasters - and I envy you sometimes for it....

Here in europe even "big" parks "only" have 5-8 credits - a thrid of them family or kiddie - plus even the thrill coasters are mostly small or standard variants from the manufacturers and seldom large costum designed coasters. "Average" parks normally have 1-2 thrill coasters plus 1-2 family/kiddie coasters - so you can't amass credits as fast as in the US - unless you've a big transatlantic travel-budget.

The only thing we can count on are the classic travelling coasters on our carnivals - and they're only a subway-ride away....

They seem to think that unless it has a TTD or an X2 it's not really a theme park.

In the US you are really pampered with parks featuring tons of large costum designed coasters - and I envy you sometimes for it....

Here in europe even "big" parks "only" have 5-8 credits - a thrid of them family or kiddie - plus even the thrill coasters are mostly small or standard variants from the manufacturers and seldom large costum designed coasters. "Average" parks normally have 1-2 thrill coasters plus 1-2 family/kiddie coasters - so you can't amass credits as fast as in the US - unless you've a big transatlantic travel-budget.

The only thing we can count on are the classic travelling coasters on our carnivals - and they're only a subway-ride away....

Where`s the problem ??? Europe has wonderful parks and a bunch of GREAT Coasters...Sorry...but I have to say it`s GREAT to live here theme park / coasterwise

As I said - we've mostly some great classics like many Schwarzkopf's and woodys like the Rutschebanen or Hochschaubahn. But Europe lacks great costum B&Ms for example.

But if you take for example Heide-Park: They can't compete with major US parks - the only world-class coaster there is Colossos. Next to that they have two standard Vekoma coasters - one SLC *ouch* and one MK-1200 double-loop, double corkscrew - some might say the latter is costum, but that was only an added block-break for 4-train operation which was removed years ago. And then you've Krake - a Mini-B&M-Diver - and Desert Race a "light" version of Intamin Accelerator. The last two can't go against lets say Griffon or Xcelerator.

But even if you take Hansapark which has two great costum coasters with a classic Schwarzkopf Looping-Racer and an Gestelauer Launched Eurofighter - they have "only" two. In the US/Canada you would find at least twice as much major coasters in a park that size.

Not to say our coasters are bad - but much fewer in number....

If you take for example SFMM, Busch Gardens Tampa or Cedar Point you can go from coaster to coaster all day and can be lucky if you can ride each twice - even on a day with little crowds. Can't remember such a day at a german park....

^ Honestly, I think the "correct" number of coasters for a park to have is 2-5. Any more than that, and they just become numbers. Management seems to lose interest in all except the newest one, non-coaster rides are viewed as irrelevant, and the park slowly becomes a sort of "credit death march."

I honestly can't think of a park I really like that has more than six coasters. Not because I hate coasters, mind you. But because parks that are all about coasters don't seem to be interested in very much else.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Great report, and cool pics! I was finally able to make it there in June. Went on a Sat and used the 10 buck "bounce-back" the next day. I can't say it enough, this is an enthusiasts amusement park. The coasters are not top-notch thrill rides, but they are fun. You get a Miller woodie, some Schwartz sweetness, a decent spinner, and Wicked is a gem; love the restraints, which made me feel like I was going to fall out of the ride in a few spots.

The classic dark rides, the pioneer village, and those flats. I got my first top scan there, and it was heaven! And those snap-able flyers. And that giant wheel where the cabins spin about made me ill. The rapids ride was a hoot as well. The landscaping is nicely done, and the park actually stays open later than some major chain parks, making for great night rides and great lighting effects. Again, this park is verrrrrry cool.

I posted on FB half way through my first day "Someone please tell me why it took so long for me to visit Lagoon!!!", because I meant it. I MUST return. With so many people commenting that they would like to go, but not sure about the logistics, it sounds like a job for TPR...

Lagoon is really quite easy to reach from many places in the West, thanks to the magic of air travel.

Most major cities in the West have nonstop service on Southwest, and Delta operates a hub there, so that covers a number of other cities as well. I actually once did a day-trip there via Southwest from Phoenix, and it worked quite nicely! (There's a TR on here somewhere.)

All this is a long way of saying: if you live in the West, quit making excuses and just go to this park already! It really is nice, and it's easier to reach than you think. (And great TR, Derek!)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm gonna be at Lagoon on Monday (7-28) and I'm glad I happened across this report. You enlightened me to Bruges Waffles & Frites, Crown Burger, and Wicked's single rider line. Awesome.