Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Re: Rye Playland being considered for closure

Postby HappyEisentrout » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Well if Zamperla does end up running it let's hope they don't add another Volare.
2003-2004 - Michigan's Adventure (Games, Shivering Timbers ATL, Wolverine Wildcat, Timber Town Railway)
2005-2009, 2011, 2012 - Cedar Point (Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster, Thunder Canyon TL, Maverick TL, CP&LE Engine House)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 pm

^Wha...no dueling Volares?? :lol:

Seriously, I like the sounds of this versus turning it into a public park. We have a NY public park on Chautauqua Lake here (Celeron Park - near where I live) that used to be one of the old trolley amusement parks. They had a couple hotels, dance halls, restaurants, etc...as well as a roller coaster, ferris wheel, water swing and several amusements/shows until it closed in the 50's or 60's.

While the park now has a ball field where local kids play, there are rarely people there and it's a tad run down - definitely not a money-maker or something that would draw anyone from outside the area. There are not a lot of events other than a rib fest we went to last year, which really wasn't very good. This is Lucille Ball's hometown and I believe she used to frequent the park when she was young

It's sad to think that Rye Playland could end up like Celeron Park. I was able to dig up a cool video from You Tube showing the old park in it's heyday, although it doesn't show the roller coaster. The current park is shown first and then photos and post-cards from the old park. Of note, the lighthouse is still there, but the video is from 1991 - I think it now needs some work. They definitely make it look a lot nicer in the video than it really is.

Sure wish I could have seen this park in it's heyday! Let's hope when I'm 60, I'm not watching a video like this saying "I remember when I visited Rye Playland and got my ass beat by a Volare roller coaster....yep, believe it, you whippersnappers!" :lol:

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm

My thought on Rye's Playland...

If Green Bay can do it, and other cities can do it, why can't they do it there?

Hell, Green Bay is BUILDING a coaster to bring people to the city's parks.

In all reality- I have to question how the park is such a liability unless they're not doing something right- such as pricing, etc. A coaster is a great gem to have, and yes, over the past few years the park has become a bit dated- but some TLC and some faith in the park might be a good thing...

So long as they don't add a Pony Distress or a Volare.

R.D.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm

I wish I had linked the article I read about a month ago. It went into detail how Rye Playland could easily make money if run properly and reasonable relief on their debt load. Similar to how Six Flags new management is expected to be prosperous this year without the burden of huge debt after bankruptcy protection.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:44 am

thrillrider wrote:
cal1br3tto wrote:Glad the park is apparently safe for this season. I think I'll try to make a visit.

Me to. This is one park I have been dying to check out. I hear they have some great dark rides.

And the best Whip and Derby Racer I've been on, plus a credit that eats you! It's really a park where you can have a lot of fun doing things you can't do elsewhere, as long as you don't believe every park in the world needs to be "Disney quality."

Here's to it being saved, but if not I may attempt to make another visit this year.

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:54 pm

I was surprised to discover that the park has much more of interest than just a modest coaster collection! While I like all kinds of places, I have a special affection for traditional parks and classic rides!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Playland is actually my home park. The Dragon Coaster was my first big roller coaster and the kiddy coaster was my first roller coaster period. I'm sure just about everyone who grew up in the Putnam / Dutchess / Westchester areas can say the same. I do think that pricing is an issue... they charge $30.00 for one day and their ride collection isn't that great. The Wild Mouse is forgettable, the Dragon coaster is ruined by it's trains, the Flying coaster is obviously terrible and that's it for the coasters. I like the park but they price themselves like a great thrill park yet offer mediocre thrill rides.

It's a nice family park, and they should price themselves as such. This is not the park that we grew up with where the whole family could go and spend the day... maybe ride a few rides and not spend too much money. They've priced families out and it's sad because almost every Westchester family has great memories of Playland.

I don't pretend to know how to run an amusement park, and even if they do lower prices and switch back to a ticket / fun card system it may not be enough to make the park profitable but if they made it accessible to families again then I don't think many people would care about having to subsidize it. It's a historical treasure and it's a huge part of the culture of Westchester county. I haven't heard anyone complain about subsidizing it (We've been doing that for YEARS) but I would hear a TON of people complain if they ever closed it.

Playland is a public park. Every other public park costs us money and nobody cares if they pull their own weight. Why does Playland have to? It only cost each Westchester Household $12.00 last year and I'm yet to hear anyone complain about it.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Headwear Ban at Rye Playland

Postby VinTheAttendant » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm

Muslims, police scuffle at Rye Playland over amusement park’s head scarf ban; 15 arrests made

Rye Playland was shut down Tuesday after cops scuffled with Muslims upset that women wearing head scarves were barred from the rides, witnesses said.

Fifteen people, including three women, were charged with disorderly conduct and assault in the chaos, authorities said.

The Westchester County park was packed with Muslims celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr - the holiday marking the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

One woman, Entisai Ali, began arguing with cops over the amusement park's head scarf, or hijab, rule, said Dena Meawad, 18, of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

The ban, which is not Muslim specific, was imposed about 3 years ago mostly to prevent hats from falling onto the tracks of roller coasters and other rides, park officials said.

"The cops started getting loud with her and she started getting loud, too. They pushed her on the ground and arrested her," Meawad said.

Her cousin, Kareem Meawad, 17, went to try to protect the woman and was beaten by cops and also arrested, she added. Her brother, Issam Meawad, 20, was pushed to the ground and taken into custody when he tried to help his cousin, she said.

"She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

John Hodges, chief inspector of Westchester County Public Safety, insisted that police did not use excessive force.

He said up to 100 cops from surrounding departments converged on the park.

Two park rangers were injured in the melee, prompting felony assault charges against two people arrested, officials said.

The ugly incident happened just after 1 p.m. The event was organized by the Muslim American Society of New York, and attracted 3,000 Muslims from Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Westchester County.

Ali's sister, Ayman Alrabah, 24, of Brooklyn said her husband, brother and father were all tackled by cops and put into handcuffs when they tried to help her sister.

Alrabah said she was unaware of the head-scarf rule until she and her sister tried to get on the park's Dragon Coasters.

"We requested a refund and all of a sudden an argument became a riot," Alrabah said. "Cops came. They were hitting my brother, my dad. My husband was on the floor and they were handcuffing him.

She said her 4-year-old son was "traumatized" by seeing his father arrested.

"They treated us like animals, like we were nothing," Alrabah said. "They came with their dogs and sticks. We came to have fun."

'It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim,' says Dena Meawad. (Norman Y. Lono for NY Daily News)

The park was closed for about two hours because of the fracas. It reopened at about 6 p.m.

Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

"Part of our rules and regulations, which we painstakingly told them over and over again, is that certain rides you cannot wear any sort of headgear," Tartaglia said. "It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile."

Many Muslims were given refunds as they left the park disappointed.

"In this heightened state of Islamaphobia, a woman wearing a hajib is an easy target these days," said Zead Ramadan, president of the Council on American-Islamic Relations - New York. "Unfortunately, this turned ugly due to a lot of miscommunication."

Link

Thanks for the title change, Larry!
Last edited by VinTheAttendant on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 pm.

Five babies drowned in a fire

Re: Muslim Scarf Ban at Rye Playland

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Can't wait to see the aftermath of this one. :roll:

Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Muslim Scarf Ban at Rye Playland

Postby noregrets » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Whether this is the result of Islamophobia or higher safety standards in the wake of RoS, it doesnt matter either way. You do what the park says or you don't ride. No need to start mobbing with police and behaving like children. Lol I remember throwing tantrums when my parents wouldn't let me go on a ride when I was a kid.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!